GM 2.4 under valve cover picture - lots of heavy varnish

wwillson

Staff member
In my friend's shop today, I saw this valve cover laying on top of another engine, so I took a picture. This 2017 2.4L has 60,000 miles and the timing chain jumped and pretty much ruined the engine. From the amount of varnish/sludge under the valve cover, this engine had to be neglected. They speculate the oil level was run low for a long time. The engine already went to the scrapyard, hence no pictures.

The valve cover is sitting on top of a low miles Acura V6 that the kid driving it didn't know he should stop when steam is bellowing from under the hood and the dash is lit up. The engine was completely junk - a hole in the radiator turned into a $5,600 job to install a motor.

20211221_180622323_iOS.jpg

So gunked up it jumped timing...

Now that some serious gunk.

It amazes me that my red 89 Ford Probe did has well as it did considering how much a space cadet I was back then when I was 18-21 years old with it. I was very very fortunate it did has well as that car did.

So gunked up it jumped timing...

Now that some serious gunk.

It amazes me that my red 89 Ford Probe did has well as it did considering how much a space cadet I was back then when I was 18-21 years old with it. I was very very fortunate it did has well as that car did.
I am going to guess that at 60,000 miles that engine might have had the oil changed twice if not at all. That is horrendous at that mileage.
Nah, that is what most earlier Honda VCM engines look like, even with synthetic oil changes per the OLM.

In my friend's shop today, I saw this valve cover laying on top of another engine, so I took a picture. This 2017 2.4L has 60,000 miles and the timing chain jumped and pretty much ruined the engine. From the amount of varnish/sludge under the valve cover, this engine had to be neglected. They speculate the oil level was run low for a long time. The engine already went to the scrapyard, hence no pictures.

The valve cover is sitting on top of a low miles Acura V6 that the kid driving it didn't know he should stop when steam is bellowing from under the hood and the dash is lit up. The engine was completely junk - a hole in the radiator turned into a $5,600 job to install a motor.

View attachment 81765
Owners neglect and that owner probably blaming GM for the jump in timing . Saying GM is trash smh not good

Typical for the 2.4. That engine burns oil, people don't check the oil, the timing chains wear out and in for service it comes. I see one literally every month same story - low/no oil and chains gone. This is a terrible motor that only if an owner is religous with oil changes and keeping the level up will the motor last

Typical for the 2.4. That engine burns oil, people don't check the oil, the timing chains wear out and in for service it comes. I see one literally every month same story - low/no oil and chains gone. This is a terrible motor that only if an owner is religous with oil changes and keeping the level up will the motor last
I have a 2006 2.4 but I've been told it has little relationship with the newer ones. I tend to think its probably clean under the valve cover but I'm pretty particular about oil changes and keeping the level up. If I'm bored this weekend I should pop the valve cover and snap a few pics.

I have a 2006 2.4 but I've been told it has little relationship with the newer ones. I tend to think its probably clean under the valve cover but I'm pretty particular about oil changes and keeping the level up. If I'm bored this weekend I should pop the valve cover and snap a few pics.
I have a 2007 2.4 has been using oil since day one. I remember it was about probably a year old wife was using it at the time I went out for bagels one morning started it up with the door open really loud timing chain rattle for a few seconds. Checked the oil down 3 qts. Since then I been on top of checking and occasionally the chain rattling at cold startup. Also the OLM is way off as far as when to change oil regret following it

I have a 2007 2.4 has been using oil since day one. I remember it was about probably a year old wife was using it at the time I went out for bagels one morning started it up with the door open really loud timing chain rattle for a few seconds. Checked the oil down 3 qts. Since then I been on top of checking and occasionally the chain rattling at cold startup. Also the OLM is way off as far as when to change oil regret following it
Was the 2.4 an engine that GM reprogrammed the OLM interval on? We had one in the family, my MIL had an ‘07 G6 with that engine, I changed her oil fairly regularly on it, now another family member has it, AFAIK it’s still doing OK.

Was the 2.4 an engine that GM reprogrammed the OLM interval on? We had one in the family, my MIL had an ‘07 G6 with that engine, I changed her oil fairly regularly on it, now another family member has it, AFAIK it’s still doing OK.
The car did go back to the dealership probably about 7 years ago for a catalytic converter recall and they did a brake light and transmission cable recall while they had it. I did question them on the OLM they said no recall to recalibrate it. At this point in it's life the G6 2007 is my beater I change the oil once a year with high mileage syn and keep it topped off. I average probably 5k miles a year now

After 2014 things seem to improve markedly for this engine. Change oil early and often and they seem to last. Parents 2017 has over 70K on it and is running quite well.

Back