Glendora, CA homeowners water conservation efforts

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe in drought stricken California you better water your lawn.

http://www.sbsun.com/general-news/20140716/glendora-couple-receives-warning-for-having-a-brown-lawn

Or face a fine.

"A threatening letter from the city of Glendora’s code enforcement team saying that her brown lawn could be a “potential public nuisance problem” that may cost her $100-$500 in fines and possible criminal action.

“Despite the water conservation efforts, we wish to remind you that limited watering is still required to keep landscaping looking healthy and green,” read the letter, which said maintaining this appearance is part of keeping Glendora beautiful and keeping up city’s “Pride of the Foothills” image.

The letter, with the city seal and the police department seal, contained three pictures: a dead lawn with a red line through it, a weedy lawn also crossed out and a lush, green lawn with a sprinkler running in the daytime, apparently the positive example."

Nice to see priories are set no matter the cost.

My power company runs ads on TV to use electricity while conserving electricity.

They apparently have a slush fund with which to advertise, as if there's competititon.
mad.gif
Same as the emergency room running ads.

It seems interesting the city believes its their business to keep up property values.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
It seems interesting the city believes its their business to keep up property values.

No doubt.

I just visited some friends in San Bernadino who were telling me about the water conservation efforts there. Big push to do desert landscaping and institute a fine structure for "improper use."

At the same time, they said that there is a proposal to increase water rates due to decline in usage.

Either way, can't win.

Same here in NJ, they restrict power and water usage due to "shortages" then raise the rates because of less usage. Then when things return to normal and the usage returns to normal the rates don't decrease. Then they apply for an increase and the cycle repeats itself again and again and again and....
mad.gif

Whimsey

Originally Posted By: Tdbo

At the same time, they said that there is a proposal to increase water rates due to decline in usage.

Either way, can't win.

That is exactly what they do here. They're raked rates substantially to recover lost revenue from people turning to more native landscaping/zeroscaping (which is landscaping that requires no water). City government and local leaders force water conservation on us with water restrictions for watering lawns etc. and have a city funded effort to get people to remove their lawns and do zeroscaping and then jack water rates so high it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy!

...It seems interesting the city believes its their business to keep up property values.
Yup. May seem counterintuitive to some (not you), but most cities’ ‘code enforcement’ is to help keep the riffraff from running amuck.

That landscaping looks like the dickens. Perhaps some nice pavers might be appropriate. Ditching the tired chain link fencing wouldn’t hurt, either.
smile.gif

Just another scam to get money for California public employees.

A lot of California cops for instance, retire at age fifty or so on a pension of $150,000.00 per year, with full medical paid, including nursing home care in their old age. Ordinary people can only dream of a life of ease like that, but the money must come from somewhere.

There is still gold in California, but it has to be paid for. Scams like this are one way. They want to be in a position of fining people no matter what they do.

Originally Posted By: splinter
Yup. May seem counterintuitive to some (not you), but most cities’ ‘code enforcement’ is to help keep the riffraff from running amuck.

That landscaping looks like the dickens. Perhaps some nice pavers might be appropriate. Ditching the tired chain link fencing wouldn’t hurt, either.
smile.gif

Code enforcement could not be an excuse to maintain an artificially inflated tax revenue source?

Originally Posted By: dave1251
Code enforcement could not be an excuse to maintain an artificially inflated tax revenue source?

CC&Rs, HOAs, ‘community services’ and/or heretofore common decency amongst neighbors to help keep a middle-class residential community neat and tidy?
That couple needn’t consume any additional water to keep the joint up by simply utilizing alternative landscaping or hardscaping, Glendora's "watering" admonition notwithstanding.

We invest/pay/squander/have extorted a ‘fair’ portion of incremental income vis-à-vis property values and requisite upkeep to live in a decent ‘hood.
To each his own.

this was a neighbor complaint. I got a letter in the beginning of the grass cutting season by the homeowner association threatening me with fines if I didn't cut my grass. I cut my grass every 5-6 days. but I was busy in March, I didn't start my first cut near April. the letter came fast! neighbors must have complained.

Originally Posted By: Cristobal
Just another scam to get money......

There it is, right there.

...It seems interesting the city believes its their business to keep up property values.

I'm not surprised they do it, I'm surprised they go on record saying so. Or not...

A municipality is there to provide services for the residents, not to make the property values so high that "X" benefits. That should fall squarely on HOAs and other "planned living" tools.

Of course sleepy towns typically get planning boards, zoning boards, school boards etc full of land sharks and other investors because everyone else is too lazy for local politics.

CC&Rs, HOAs, ‘community services’ and/or heretofore common decency amongst neighbors to help keep a middle-class residential community neat and tidy?
That couple needn’t consume any additional water to keep the joint up by simply utilizing alternative landscaping or hardscaping, Glendora's "watering" admonition notwithstanding.

We invest/pay/squander/have extorted a ‘fair’ portion of incremental income vis-à-vis property values and requisite upkeep to live in a decent ‘hood.
To each his own.

You do not realize the difference between an HOA versus an city government threatening fines and possible criminal action?

It is refreshing to see Californians complain and cry foul the government is not providing enough water. Crops are dying, there will not be enough to drink, wash the dishes, flush the toilet and bathe. Hey your "Hood" will look nice with a green lawn.

Originally Posted By: Kuato
Originally Posted By: Cristobal
Just another scam to get money......

There it is, right there.

If that was the case they would have simply applied the fine without a warning.

It's not hard to fix that lawn but the owner's have ignored it.

HOAs, i just don't get them. They seem to be prevalent among BITOG members, but I know of only 1 person in CT who has ever belonged to one, condos excepted.

No doubt.

Dry areas = fire hazard, no?

I recall reading when people complain of fires there that they aren't allowed to clean brush and water lawns. Now they say to water and they still can't win??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back