Glendora, CA homeowners water conservation efforts

Status
Not open for further replies.
The city will pay to tear up the sod, though the "next step" seems lacking... "desert landscape" of crushed stone?

No you can not win. Attempting to terraform a semi-arid ecology into a subtropical utopia with an very finite resource of water is not sustainable.

I guess people need to experience the displeasure of not bathing, wearing the same filthy clothes, and sharing an enclosed coffin/living space with over a 100 dudes with the same "issues". To realize using water to make grass look green during an extended drought is pretty messed up.

I remember some massive water bills when I lived in Arizona and had just a tiny lawn. I made sure my next house had a desert landscape with a few plants and a trickle watering system.

Requiring a green lawn in the Southwest seems irresponsible, and is certainly unsustainable in the long term. Drought conditions and an increasing population will make it difficult to keep that standard.

The state is going to fine you $500 for watering your lawn? Just wait 'til the HOAs start fining people $600 for having a dead lawn...

I'm glad I live outside the city limits. No lawn here, just bare dirt. The goats make sure it stays that way.

Went to Wal-Mart today (go figure) and they were watering the grass in the middle of the afternoon, to the point where it was overflowing into the street and down the storm drain.

There always seems to be a lack of common sense around the coasts and in the large cities. California always seems to be at the top when it comes to things that leave the rest of us shaking our heads and wondering why.

Originally Posted By: Anduril
The state is going to fine you $500 for watering your lawn? Just wait 'til the HOAs start fining people $600 for having a dead lawn...

I'm glad I live outside the city limits. No lawn here, just bare dirt. The goats make sure it stays that way.

Went to Wal-Mart today (go figure) and they were watering the grass in the middle of the afternoon, to the point where it was overflowing into the street and down the storm drain.

This threatened fine is from the city government of Glendora. Not an HOA. Because during drought conditions HOA's in California can not fine for an brown lawn. But city governments are exempt. This is government on government.

"Homeowners associations can't punish residents for scaling back on landscaping under an executive order signed by Gov. Jerry Brown in April and a bill awaiting his signature. While both measures are silent on fines imposed by local governments, the governor's office condemned moves that punish drought-conscious Californians."

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/07/19/cal...ntcmp=obnetwork

Also in the same foxnews article. A politician is quoted the lack of common sense is a shame and the necessity of a law is unfortunate.

Democratic Assemblywoman Cheryl Brown introduced a bill that would have prohibited local governments from imposing fines, but she dropped AB1636 after cities in her district promised not to penalize homeowners for brown lawns during a drought emergency.

Brown was shocked when she heard the practice continued elsewhere in the state, and said she would consider reviving her bill in 2015.

"It seems to me those cities aren't using common sense," Brown said. "It's too bad you need a law."

Ok I'm from Phoenix, AZ and we have not water limits or anything like this at all, so please someone school me.

How would they know you water your lawn "too much"? Is there a meter maid type of person with a clipboard and stopwatch monitoring how much water goes on your lawn?

Couldn't you just water at 1am and nobody would know you watered it for a good amount of time?

I understand they can see your water bill is higher than others, but how do they know you don't have 10 people in your house showering all the time and washing lots of dishes?

I don't buy their story at all. That lawn looks like it hasn't been maintained, period. I doubt they water it even once a week let alone twice a week. It sounds like lazy homeowners trying to turn the tables on the city

Cities actually have "water cops" that document, take pictures, and provide written warnings to offenders that violate one of the restrictions but the violation must be visual such as washing down your house.

Yes there is no water restrictions in Arizona. The city of Phoenix still provides flood irrigation to some of the neighborhoods. The sad part people actually believe flood irrigation is efficient and environmentally friendly.

I think as long as people decide to live in extremely arid regions requiring levels of irrigation and water for everyday living.....it's rather hypocritical to point fingers.
Places like Vegas and Phoenix, etc. are not "friendly" to human existence much of the year and require untold amounts of energy and resources to sustain a comfortable life.
Personally, I think people should live wherever they choose as long as they are paying for the resources. True environmentally concerned individuals that finger point or are concerned about water usage....should move to an area where such usage doesn't impact the natural environment as much.
Doesn't the Colorado simply dry up before it even reaches the ocean?

Originally Posted By: xfactor9
I don't buy their story at all. That lawn looks like it hasn't been maintained, period. I doubt they water it even once a week let alone twice a week. It sounds like lazy homeowners trying to turn the tables on the city

Are you aware of the situation your state is in? 3 more years of additional drought would decimate the state's economy.

Originally Posted By: xfactor9
Relax people. Most of the water that goes to SoCal comes from the reservoirs in the northern and central parts of the state, and they are not at dire levels. Rainfall you get at your house in LA is meaningless as far as the drought goes.

While it has been dry in SoCal, there have been a number of storms that have passed through northern CA in the last 2 weeks. There's one right now in fact.

Wait till the April 1st snowpack measurements.. I think people are panicking prematurely

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cdecapp/resapp/getResGraphsMain.action

The question needs to be asked, given the precarious situation. Why is anyone concerned about a green lawn?

Originally Posted By: andrewg
I think as long as people decide to live in extremely arid regions requiring levels of irrigation and water for everyday living.....it's rather hypocritical to point fingers.
Places like Vegas and Phoenix, etc. are not "friendly" to human existence much of the year and require untold amounts of energy and resources to sustain a comfortable life.
Personally, I think people should live wherever they choose as long as they are paying for the resources. True environmentally concerned individuals that finger point or are concerned about water usage....should move to an area where such usage doesn't impact the natural environment as much.
Doesn't the Colorado simply dry up before it even reaches the ocean?

I believe you have completely missed a few points.
Using potable water to water lawns for the purpose of maintaining government enforced property values do not make sense. The comment of using resources if resources can be paid for is interesting. The resource of potable water is not sufficient to be used to water lawns in California for the time being.

People can be completely ignorant of their surroundings. Examples are provided in this thread.

Sadly this is not an isolated incident. My wife tells me that one of her co-workers has let their lawn go dead, and is also being fined by the city (not HOA, but the city itself). This is in an area that receives less than 10 inches of rain a year on average.

Last edited:
It has long been interesting to me that the fastest growing areas of our country are the ones with resources least sufficient to support the growth. Where I am (DFW) is one of those regions. Water is one of those resources. Others, like infrastructure, are human controlled. While Rick Perry was out there trying to lure more people into this state we couldn't even provide for the ones already here.

I suppose unsustainable growth has probably been a factor in human civilizations as long as they have existed.

Speaking of Las Vegas and Southern California, do a little web search on the condition of Lake Mead. Its current level is similar to that which existed when the Hoover Dam was completed.

Amazing that Rick Perry gets lambasted when his state has a booming economy. My daughter lives in Austin, it is a beautiful place and I would move in a minute if needed there.

Tough crowd, do your job as Governor and get blasted anyway...

Originally Posted By: Anduril
Sadly this is not an isolated incident. My wife tells me that one of her co-workers has let their lawn go dead, and is also being fined by the city (not HOA, but the city itself). This is in an area that receives less than 10 inches of rain a year on average.

This is really sad. Another example of government not serving the people but to collect revenue and then squander.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Tough crowd, do your job as Governor and get blasted anyway...

If you were knowledgeable about the Texas constitution (that has been amended over 450 times) you would know how little political power the governor has.

Perry is not fit to run anything, but in Texas, he doesn't really run anything. We have had the most growth in low paying jobs and provided support for countless illegal immigrants. Do not admire Texas before you know the facts. The idiots who supported the secession of TexAss were advocating our conversion from a state of the U.S. to a third world country.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back