Glazes - does anyone still use them?

As the title states - does anyone use a glaze before applying their preferred sealant, wax or ceramic coating?

Glazes seem to be making a comeback in the form of these new "Ceramic Coating Primer Polishes." Supposedly the primer polish contains some extremely durable fillers to mask light defects, but somehow, the coating will outlast the fillers and any protection left by the polish. I have been using CarPro Essence as a final polish before applying a ceramic coating with surprisingly good results....so far.

Only glaze i've used was the Wax Shop Super Glaze back in the day, Xcellent shine but didn't last. Bought out by Turtle Wax and that was the end of Super Glaze.
frown.gif

mwsg.jpg

I used to use Poorboy's World White Diamond Show Glaze on my Blizzard White Pearl RAV4. The results were simply blinding in the sun. I eventually used it all and never replaced it for some reason long since forgotten.

Sometimes on the hood before top coat of carnuba wax from Griots. My dad has an old pickup and uses it. I just borrow a little bit and hand apply to boot and bonnet of car. Then use Griots and sometimes after it cures I use a water based spray wax.

I have used Poorboy's world Black hole in the past. Works great on dark cars. Having a black car, is definitely a part time job.

Those days, Liquid waxes were a thing. Now 2020, forget about. A spray sealant/wax is much efficient. No need for those blue painters tape.

Just like John Dodge or Herbert Ford or Carl GMC or somebody important in the world of cars once said, "There ain't but two things in this world that will benefit from a glaze - single stage paints and donuts...but don't try to eat the glazed paint, it'll give you the colic faster than one of them new-fangled diesel locomotives!"

Amen, brother, amen...

I still have a bottle of Klasse SG that I may put on the new Camry. Its either the Klasse or Adams Ceramic.

Past few years I've been using Griots cleanre wax (All In One Sealant) with very good results, though the durability does beg for improvement. With these new ceramic waxes, I could see the value in a polish or glaze instead of using a AIO wax. This season my paint didn't need any polish but maybe next year I will try something like Megs Ultimate Polish as I've seen good results from that in the past.

boy this take me back to the 80's and 90's. used to use 3m fill and glaze on my cars before all the fancy stuff showed up. was a pain to work with .use neg 7 also. found a 1/2 gallon bottle of it a few years ago. must be 25 years old. tossed it in the garbage.

i think glazes were needed before the advent of foam and DA polishers. really needed skill with a wooley to make a car swirl free.

I know they arent supposed to necessarily do much on clearcoats, but clear becomes semi porous, and probably has the ability to absorb some, long before it starts to not look right.

For single stage paints, this is supposedly good stuff, but I tried to give it a go on an old clear anyway. Used Meguiar's #7.

I used a process like described by Mike Phillips over at Autogeek.

I was quite pleased in the test section. You could see it absorb in and darken/deepen the paint and clear. Lousy picture attached, makes the clear look scratched or whitish, which it isn't, but you can see how deeper it is where the glaze was.

[Linked Image]

Havent had a chance to use it all over yet, but did do a side.

[Linked Image]

Back