Glass Bottles are Making a Comeback

Well I wouldn’t call it hypocrisy. You’re reusing the beer glass that you’ve poured it into over and over again and recycling the glass bottle that you poured it from. You don’t chuck your beer mug in the trash once you’ve finished your beer, you wash it and reuse it, possibly for many years. 🍺
Had more to do with the distain of drinking from a glass bottle, but no problem drinking from a glass glass.

Sand and arsenic are pretty plentiful.
All raw materials are running out. As is landfill space. As is the energy to harvest raw materials and turn them into products, at a significant pollution cost. Then transport those to intermediate and end users, who put them in dumpsters to be hauled to dumps to poison our ground water. FAR, FAR more economical in all regards to return them, wash them, and re-use them. It's not even a special trip when the EMPTY beer truck, just takes a load of bottles back to the bottler. Super efficient.

The bottom line is that it's time to end the generations of wasteful attitudes that "it's plentiful," because someday it won't be.

The economic, environmental, health, animal, and human costs to our centuries of ignorant selfish thinking must end, and we must be more responsible with our finite limited resources. Reduce, reuse, and recycle.

All raw materials are running out. As is landfill space. As is the energy to harvest raw materials and turn them into products, at a significant pollution cost. Then transport those to intermediate and end users, who put them in dumpsters to be hauled to dumps to poison our ground water. FAR, FAR more economical in all regards to return them, wash them, and re-use them. It's not even a special trip when the EMPTY beer truck, just takes a load of bottles back to the bottler. Super efficient.

The bottom line is that it's time to end the generations of wasteful attitudes that "it's plentiful," because someday it won't be.

The economic, environmental, health, animal, and human costs to our centuries of ignorant selfish thinking must end, and we must be more responsible with our finite limited resources. Reduce, reuse, and recycle.
I’m not going to go as far as you, but I understand your point. If all we do is go for small change, nothing changes. But if your sights are set on BIG changes, at least something gets done.

Container glass is literally recyclable until the end of time; and in a landfill, it will last until the end of time. There’s zero reasons to not recycle glass containers, but the excuse is the markets are too far from the consumer (glass plants). Tax credits and “reasonable” emissions requirements would go a long way towards re-establishing “local” glass plants.

We’ve got 14 plants that make 10+ billion containers every year. We could double our cullet supply and do all kinds of great things. The glass container industry has been so hamstrung by alternative packaging that ANY win for glass is a win for ALL glass container companies. It’s one of the few forever industries, and local/state governments should take sensible action to enable them to flourish. My .02…

I’m not going to go as far as you, but I understand your point. If all we do is go for small change, nothing changes. But if your sights are set on BIG changes, at least something gets done.

Container glass is literally recyclable until the end of time; and in a landfill, it will last until the end of time. There’s zero reasons to not recycle glass containers, but the excuse is the markets are too far from the consumer (glass plants). Tax credits and “reasonable” emissions requirements would go a long way towards re-establishing “local” glass plants.

We’ve got 14 plants that make 10+ billion containers every year. We could double our cullet supply and do all kinds of great things. The glass container industry has been so hamstrung by alternative packaging that ANY win for glass is a win for ALL glass container companies. It’s one of the few forever industries, and local/state governments should take sensible action to enable them to flourish. My .02…
As well, some say the world is running out of high-grade silica.

I don't know what the quality of recycled glass is, but hopefully it could displace some of the need for raw silica.

Smell plays a large part in taste, so pouring your beer into a glass allows you to experience the full flavor of the beer. Any brewer will tell you that beer is better from a glass for this reason.
Different strokes for different folks though. 🍺😉
A friend used to make beer. Some years ago he got me to do a blind taste-test.

One beer was slightly harsh and acrid.

The other beer was quite smooth and enjoyable.

It turned out they were from the same batch. The one I liked better was bottled in glass, the other one in plastic.

N = 1, but convinced me.

So why are those things not being done? Plenty of glass out there to recycle as has been pointed out.
I also wonder why more states don't have a deposit system. There must be economic reasons.

Yup, as I said above, people consume, consume, consume as though resources are infinite.

But one day, we all wake up and the elephants are gone, clean water is scarce, the Do-Do bird is extinct, landfills are full, the oceans are filthy with trash, the rhinos are gone, the redwoods are all furniture, the bees are all dead, the great apes and tigers are gone, and on and on and on.

Humans are our own worst enemy with irresponsible insatiable consumption until it's gone. We really need to temper our appetites and, at least make compromises with reducing, reusing, and recycling where possible. Hey if you want to consume, that's generally okay. But let's just tame the appetites, and be environmentally smart about long-term survival of species and resources, and in this case, sand. It's not infinite. We can use it all up to the point it impacts environments and prices.

I'm a huge fan of import beer. I like Sam Adam's Boston Lager, but the Einstök Doppelbock from Iceland or the Weihenstephaner is so smooth. Only beer I like from a can is the Foster's Oil Can or the Sapporo.

Attachments

• 20230126_150403.jpg
    20230126_150403.jpg
    200.4 KB · Views: 3
I remember the days you got a .10 cent return on the bottle when you took it back. People would be to lazy today.
I think when I was a kid in the '60's deposit was $ .02 on soda bottles and I remember a couple places that sold a bottle of soda for $ .06 and $ .07 each. In those days $ .10 bottles of soda were for the rich folks. My grandfather used to buy Falstaff beer by the case in returnable long neck bottles back in the '60's. I don't know how much the deposit was on beer bottles at the time but I would assume about the same as soda bottles.

I remember the days you got a .10 cent return on the bottle when you took it back. People would be to lazy today.
Yep. When we was growing up in the 60's and 70's we would walk the old roads and highways
around the little town we grew up in in South Central Missouri and pick up soda bottles to sell.
Many, many good memories of doing just that.
And, soda pop was better back then. Far better taste and fizz in the glass bottles, imho.

I think when I was a kid in the '60's deposit was $ .02 on soda bottles and I remember a couple places that sold a bottle of soda for $ .06 and $ .07 each. In those days $ .10 bottles of soda were for the rich folks. My grandfather used to buy Falstaff beer by the case in returnable long neck bottles back in the '60's. I don't know how much the deposit was on beer bottles at the time but I would assume about the same as soda bottles.
I've missed the returnable beer bottle cases that went away somewhere around 1990. I believe it was only a couple of the biggest local brews. About $1.50 in deposit and your next 24 bottle case of 16 oz. returnables of Yuengling Premium cost about you about $3.50 (80's prices). Some of the bottles got pretty worn pretty well before they were retired. The reused beer bottles were very robust glass and must have a very long lifespan.

Yeah, I recall going on soda bottle hunts for the $.02 deposit, way back. The store closest to home only charged $.05 for 6.5 oz. Coke. 10 oz. Pepsi or 16 oz RC cola was $.10, I think. Gas stations and garages had honor system racks for the empty bottles next to their soda pop machines.

Back