Glass Bottles are Making a Comeback

I disagree. The only beer that I would specifically request be drawn "vom faß" is a weissbier.

Smell plays a large part in taste, so pouring your beer into a glass allows you to experience the full flavor of the beer. Any brewer will tell you that beer is better from a glass for this reason.
Different strokes for different folks though. 🍺😉

Germany is a smaller country with a brauhaus on every corner.

Also a different culture. Cost prohibitive in Germany and cost prohibitive in the USA do not mean the same thing.
I read your country has thousands of micro-breweries, which sparked the re-birth of craft beers.

Glass is reusable and recyclabe, also recycling glass requires a lot of energy. Also, glass is heavy, which means it requires more energy to transport. A lot of transport energy can be saved with platic bottles. Plastic bottles can also be made to be reusable, though usually not as often. Plastic bottles can thus be better for the environment - depending on the length of the logistics chain.

Glass bottles have one advantage, though: They are chemically inert. No chemicals leaking from the bottle into the drink.
In 1985, there were 144 glass container plants in the US. Thanks to the assault of plastic and the stupidity shortsightedness of the US consumer, we are now down into the high #50s of remaining glass plants. So the customer himself is responsible for the transportation cost increase. Glass plants used to have a much more local impact; we now have plants in Oklahoma shipping glass to Jacksonville FL and plants in Indiana shipping glass to California, New Jersey, and Virginia. Believe me, accounting sure doesn’t like transporting glass that far and neither does the shipping department!

The other problem is that since 1981, there have only been like 3 new glass container plants built in the US (and all of those are in the past 2-10 years) which means that many of the facilities are extremely old and have inherent inefficiencies in them today- floorplans, REALLY old compressors & switchgear, etc. The sad thing is, and this is the only time you’ll EVER hear me say Europe is better at something, that the European consumer buys somewhere around 3x the # of glass containers per person that the US does, so their plants can afford to make much larger & more frequent capital investments. Heck, our two plants closest to me were opened in 1886 and 1897, and there are several places you can see the original brick & structure.

I read your country has thousands of micro-breweries, which sparked the re-birth of craft beers.
The really ugly fact of this is that a majority of US microbreweries fill solely in cans. Love the craft brews, hate their packaging. I frequently talk to the manager/owner when I patronize microbreweries, and take them to our website where they don’t need to have an “official” account with our company, and can buy even individual pallets of beer bottles that deliver LTL so they can start using glass bottles if they want to do a “premium” run in glass. Heck, if you’re a home brewer you can even buy a pallet of beer bottles and bottle your own!

SOME are learning the downsides of plastics aka petroleum + if ALL states put deposits on plastics a major pollution issue for sure. men especially should NOT use any plastics as being from petroleum estrogens are present, but like most everything $$$$$ calls the shots IMO!!

SOME are learning the downsides of plastics aka petroleum + if ALL states put deposits on plastics a major pollution issue for sure. men especially should NOT use any plastics as being from petroleum estrogens are present, but like most everything $$$$$ calls the shots IMO!!
Oh my.

plastics that contribute to obesity are like obesity a major health issue in USA + obesity + related diseases that big medical loves is costing prolly BILLIONS of our medical costs!! one look around Walmart while shopping WILL open your EYES if not hurt them to see SOOOO many slopppy groooosly overweight people + a lot more just FAT!!!

Not true. Our cullet (term for recycled glass) costs are roughly $100-120/ton, while raw materials easily top $160+/ton. We use nearly 5000 tons per day of cullet, mainly from Strategic Materials. Several of our plants have recycling stations run by SMI literally on the same property.

In addition, for every 10% of cullet that makes up the batch formula, there is a savings of 2-3% energy. When you’re using 4.4 million BTU per ton (nat gas, oxy fuel, and electricity) to melt glass, those savings add up when you’re running >50% cullet!
Yeah, I know about cullet. Used to fall asleep to the crusher sounds at the local Guardian glass plant. Which is now totally LEVELED BTW.
SO, is it colored glass that is not recyclable then? The reason I ask is that MANY recycling locations/towns refuse to take glass in their recycle bins.

Plus, I truly believe companies should (or be required to) have a more sustainable business model. For too many centuries, companies grab their cash and dump their trash for future generations to deal with. Leaving mountains of pollution - sea, air, land, underground, freshwater lakes and rivers, etc. It sickens me.

I forget the term but it has to do with the back-end costs and burdens, which are not shared by the company but dumped on the public resources, often for disposal, cleanup, etc. Expenses, such as fines for not incorporating such costs, should be leveled against businesses that create massive amounts of trash. In this case, beer and soda bottles. I also have seen cash deposits on glass bottles in other states and nations, 5 cents or the equivalent. Could also be done by the pound. Goes a long way to encouraging recycling.

And it truly is in most businesses best interest and for the community and environment. Raw materials are growing more scarce, more expensive, and landfill space more scarce and expensive.
Sand and arsenic are pretty plentiful.

Yeah, I know about cullet. Used to fall asleep to the crusher sounds at the local Guardian glass plant. Which is now totally LEVELED BTW.
SO, is it colored glass that is not recyclable then? The reason I ask is that MANY recycling locations/towns refuse to take glass in their recycle bins.
It’s because they’re lazy and/or don’t have a local plant to sell it to. You can even mix 3% of colored glass into flint and decolorize it.

Check out KRS recycling in Buffalo (videos on YT) for some neat cullet sorting machines.

It’s because they’re lazy and/or don’t have a local plant to sell it to. You can even mix 3% of colored glass into flint and decolorize it.

Check out KRS recycling in Buffalo (videos on YT) for some neat cullet sorting machines.
Cullet sorting machines? Sounds expensive.
Yeah, I know, they can make insulation out of it too, but none of this is helpful when it adds to the cost of the product.

Chris: I’m always learning from you. Thank You for the info friend 🍻👍🇺🇸

No self respecting beer connoisseur would drink beer from the bottle either. Beer is meant to be poured. 🍺🍻😉😎
I agree, but what do we pour it into? A Glass? A bit of hypocrisy perhaps...

Alberta has been recycling drink containers since the 70s. Glass, plastics, juice boxes, etc all have a deposit on them that is paid on purchase. It is refunded when you return the empties for recycling.

In the early 80’s while in college I worked in a grocery store and one of the least favorite jobs was sorting pop bottles. Back breaking work before I knew any better lol.

I agree, but what do we pour it into? A Glass? A bit of hypocrisy perhaps...

Well I wouldn’t call it hypocrisy. You’re reusing the beer glass that you’ve poured it into over and over again and recycling the glass bottle that you poured it from. You don’t chuck your beer mug in the trash once you’ve finished your beer, you wash it and reuse it, possibly for many years. 🍺

Back