Giving away free stuff

Two way street here, boredom causes me to pickup any motor driven end of driveway stuff. Selling a 3 year old lawn mower that needed a coil that was not available {Chinese Briggs} that a modified coil from an older motor worked came back twice for other problems. Finally returned the $25 it sold for after the 3rd repair and said don`t ever want to see it again. Just last week picked up a Toro 2 stroke snow blower at the curb and found a failed plug and a missing primer bulb. It will be donated to someone who needs it or will keep it to keep the path to the bird feeders open.

Like others, great to give away free stuff. Often a win for all involved. I move every two-three years so I seem to always have stuff to give away, sometimes some decent stuff, especially furniture. I give very specific left and right limits when posting on Craigslist, it can be a full time job managing the giving of stuff away. Can you hold it for a week, can you deliver it to me, no-shows, etc.

I had two 2006 W220s to give away (for parts). One S430 and one S500. Both had unibody damage, both had running engines (one 73k miles and one 150k miles). Both had really nice interiors. Tried to give them away on a Mercedes forum. I lived in very rural Pennsylvania at the time. I had very clear instructions, to include I have the titles, will need a trailer to get them loaded (with a winch), I will not help load (I would of and had the winch also but wanted to weed out people that did not know what they were getting into when taking a free vehicle that does not drive). I posted pictures, proper description, etc.

In the add I stated you must had a trailer with winch, provide an exact time you will pickup, and that I was not willing to answer questions. Sure enough, started getting questions for very detailed information on the cars from a frequent contributor on the forum. It went downhill from there. Ending up hauling them myself to the scrapper for $200 per vehicle, sold for weight only. Forward looking, as I kind of screwed that up, the OEM CATS on W220s appear to be selling for over $800 per vehicle at current market, and they sell quickly......

Lesson learned- giving stuff away is awesome- but if not planned/ done properly can be a big headache

Last edited:
Good for you in giving that RTV away. Better to give to someone to use than to have it expire in your toolbox. I can’t think of where I’ve ever used 1 tube for more than 1 job.

The other stuff you listed, I would have kept IMO. Those picks especially. I use mine so much.

Back