Giving away free stuff

Every so often, I clean out my toolbox or garage and post a giveaway ad on nextdoor. Example is attached. Usually someone responds within minutes and makes arrangements to pickup the items during the next day. Never had any issues.

How do you dispose of low-value tools/garage items that still have life left but are no longer of use to you?

Attachments

• 2B722741-0A47-4537-881E-07218F523153.jpg
    2B722741-0A47-4537-881E-07218F523153.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 130
I keep them around as extras or throw them in my road box to have. I’m not one to part with tools 😉. And I learned something new that RTV expires. Funny you mention RTV I use those Orange handle picks to take off the hardened part of the RTV at the top of the tube so I can use it again. That’s about all they are good for since they are like butter.

I put stuff up for free on CL (craigslist) in the "free" section when it's of low value or something of help someone who can use it more than it's worth to try and sell.

just recently I gave away 4 jack stands to a neighbor who doesn't really have a good job or a lot of money...saw him working on a car and had pieces of 2x6 under the car.. I had like 8 stands and could never use all of them so I thought he could and yeah he was happy

just recently I gave away 4 jack stands to a neighbor who doesn't really have a good job or a lot of money...saw him working on a car and had pieces of 2x6 under the car.. I had like 8 stands and could never use all of them so I thought he could and yeah he was happy
Hope they were not the HF recalled ones!

Ironically I find myself moving back to using 2x6's!

I used to put stuff on the curb with a "free" sign. Around here the transfer station often has a "second chance" table where I have put a few things. Lastly I have a friend who has a perpetual fleamarket table (indoors) and I have given him a few things. He'll sell and make a buck; I don't care about the "loss" as I got what I wanted out of the item (and stuff I give away is usually not all that valuable in the first place).

I am a hoarder....not like the people on the shows, my house is really clean and neat but that is because I have a wife. My garage is a catch all of tools and supplies. I could never imagine giving away the cotter pins you have listed above. :ROFLMAO:

Goodwill. Craigslist.

Remarkable how quickly stuff goes on CL if the price is “free”.

If I don’t need it, I’m happy to donate it.

That said, I keep things like old screwdrivers, because I fashion them into new tools for specific tasks, like the M103 Mercedes water pump pulley holder, or sparkplug boot puller...

Having just turned 65, I find myself trying to give away free advice more often. Young people usually pretend to listen, but with trepidation.

I seem to have enough people in my circle of acquaintances to find someone eager to accept items I want to repurpose.

I admit that I don't regularly do "purges", which is something I should do.

With that said, I give away a decent amount of stuff. Mine usually though is hearing someone say "I need to buy/I'm looking for/I need X" and my answer is "I have an extra X-it's this...do you want it?"

I am a 'minimalist' (and getting older) so I'm always getting rid of stuff.
If it's not needed or brings me no happiness, it's gone.

1) Amvets
2) Curb with a 'free' sign
3) Family
4) Neighbors

Take your M-1 cardboard box and cut it into small signs 6x15-20” or big enough to see easily driving by. Can of black spray paint makes a long supply of (FREE) signs. Set it by the road side with a free sign and everything will go away . I dispatched an entire households portable contents that way. As long as the items aren’t junk they will go away on a couple days. It’s easier than making a trip to what our ancestors referred to as what it actually is / was , the dump.

Depends what it is… I’ll offer it to friends/coworkers/family first, if no takers it goes in the trash/next to the trash or the burn pile.

I keep them around as extras or throw them in my road box to have. I’m not one to part with tools 😉. And I learned something new that RTV expires. Funny you mention RTV I use those Orange handle picks to take off the hardened part of the RTV at the top of the tube so I can use it again. That’s about all they are good for since they are like butter.
When certain RTV’s expire, they won’t harden during the curing process. The Loctite 5970 is one of them. You can do the entire job, everything will seem fine, but the RTV will not harden. It is critical to pay attention to the expiration date before using.

When certain RTV’s expire, they won’t harden during the curing process. The Loctite 5970 is one of them. You can do the entire job, everything will seem fine, but the RTV will not harden. It is critical to pay attention to the expiration date before using.
That’s good to know.

I lean towards hoarding, but do try to purge every once in a while. I tend to offer things for free but not on Craigslist, etc. I will post on limited, narrower interest places like here, car marque and airplane forums.

Back