Gift suggestions for a woodworker?

Hi guys! Wondering about gift suggestions for my wife who has recently discovered woodworking.

We have a cordless drill and sander, and some basic hand tools.

Thoughts?

Ryan

Tage Frid Teaches Woodworking, two volumes in one, Unabridged. Great book for a beginner to learn Joinery, shaping, veneering and finishing. Applicable for everything from building a bird house to inlaid funiture. If you have a workbench then get a woodworkers vise, if not get a workbench first.

If she is into carving, Craftsman use to make an electric powered small wood chisel set. It basically has bits the same size as the hand held ones, but because the blade is vibrating in and out just a slight bit, it cuts wood much faster and easier than using hand held chisels. I do not know if Craftsman still makes it or if there are other manufacturers now days. But back in the days when I was in boy-scouts and was an older boy, I taught wood carving and we had several of the hand held sets and one electric. The kids all used the handheld but took turns using the electric and got much more done much quicker with the electric chisel set.

Here is a good price on a 12 piece hand held set of wood carving chisels. If that is what she would like you better buy it fast because it said it is the last one, and there are similar sets that cost $20 or more.

Woodworking can mean many things. I’d start with a good solid bench and work from there. Better, build a laminated 2x4 style bench. The gifts can be tools needed to do it.

Woodworking can mean carving wood such as figures that are smaller than a loaf of bread, or building items like picture frames, dressers, carving boards, tables, desks, doors, windows, coffee tables, entertainment cabinets for TV and or stereo systems, bathroom cupboards, bathroom vanity, trim work around top and or bottom of walls, decks, proches, garages, add on rooms or sections of a house, or even an entire house. Some people build from plans, some design to the requirements of the customer, some build specific furniture from a specific time in history, some buy unfinished furniture and finish it. There are a lot of areas to get into. One person once shoed me a desk he had built and it had many many finely fitted pieces of wood to it. He said it took more than a year to build.

And the tools required vary according to the jobs.

So, Rhill, if you get more specific about the level of woodwork your wife is doing then people on here can give better more specific answers to what would be a good gift. Also it would be of help to know approximately how much you are looking to spend.

I have two relatives who are into woodworking big time. One of them has done it for a living for more than 35 years. One day he told me that when he was getting started he went to a big estate sale and the gentleman who had passed away had a huge collection of expensive wood-working tools, and he bough almost everything there and for much less than it would of cost new.

The house he bough just after he got married was in a rural area far from the city where the lots are big and it had 2 garages. He converged the 4 car garage into his work shop. He has a wood fueled heater that he burns his scrap wood in to heat the garage, and that is made of two 55 gallon drums on there sides one on top of the other that are located towards the center of the area to get good heat exchange on all sides of it. The bottom one has a door to put the wood in. The top one just has the exhaust from the bottom one go through it to act as a heat exchanger to get more heat out of the burning of the wood, before it exhaust to a pipe through the roof. He also added a lot of insulation to that garage so the burning wood does a good job of heating it.

So if you wife is really into working on big wood projects, one thing she will need is a decent size area to do that work.

Last edited:
She will need a marking gauge, get a nice one.

Lie-Nielsen hand plane. Start with a block plane. So useful for many minor tasks around the shop.

A subscription to Fine Woodworking Magazine. The entire archive, every one of 200 issues, in a digital searchable format, is also available for about $100.

Wow, thanks so much guys! I like the Japanese folding saw for cutting dove tails, and some good chisels and a hand plane to start.

Sorry, to clarify, she's been doing some vegetable stands, a nice raised garden bed and a few other things. Who knew?!!

Thanks again for the great responses.

Ryan

Wow, thanks so much guys! I like the Japanese folding saw for cutting dove tails, and some good chisels and a hand plane to start.

Sorry, to clarify, she's been doing some vegetable stands, a nice raised garden bed and a few other things. Who knew?!!

Thanks again for the great responses.

Ryan
Is her interest really in carpentry? Either way, i think a good portable table saw would be needed for either.

Woodworking can mean carving wood such as figures that are smaller than a loaf of bread, or building items like picture frames, dressers, carving boards, tables, desks, doors, windows, coffee tables, entertainment cabinets for TV and or stereo systems, bathroom cupboards, bathroom vanity, trim work around top and or bottom of walls, decks, proches, garages, add on rooms or sections of a house, or even an entire house. Some people build from plans, some design to the requirements of the customer, some build specific furniture from a specific time in history, some buy unfinished furniture and finish it. There are a lot of areas to get into. One person once shoed me a desk he had built and it had many many finely fitted pieces of wood to it. He said it took more than a year to build.

And the tools required vary according to the jobs.

So, Rhill, if you get more specific about the level of woodwork your wife is doing then people on here can give better more specific answers to what would be a good gift. Also it would be of help to know approximately how much you are looking to spend.

I have two relatives who are into woodworking big time. One of them has done it for a living for more than 35 years. One day he told me that when he was getting started he went to a big estate sale and the gentleman who had passed away had a huge collection of expensive wood-working tools, and he bough almost everything there and for much less than it would of cost new.

The house he bough just after he got married was in a rural area far from the city where the lots are big and it had 2 garages. He converged the 4 car garage into his work shop. He has a wood fueled heater that he burns his scrap wood in to heat the garage, and that is made of two 55 gallon drums on there sides one on top of the other that are located towards the center of the area to get good heat exchange on all sides of it. The bottom one has a door to put the wood in. The top one just has the exhaust from the bottom one go through it to act as a heat exchanger to get more heat out of the burning of the wood, before it exhaust to a pipe through the roof. He also added a lot of insulation to that garage so the burning wood does a good job of heating it.

So if you wife is really into working on big wood projects, one thing she will need is a decent size area to do that work.
That sounds amazing. She is after me to finish our garage!

Back