GFCI on Generator won't reset

Hello everyone.

I have generac xt8000e. It has been sitting in the not heated garage, I start it and run it with load every 6 months.
Yesterday it started good and produced power out of 30amp outlet but GFCI outlets will not reset. One was blinking red, another one was okay but before testing it I pressed test button and now it won't reset.

Anyone have deal with it before? What would be quick and easy way to check it?

Total wild guess, use some De- Oxit on the breaker and exercise it. Look for a loose connection next
I was thinking about taking it apart, taking outlets out and possibly applying some de-electric grease and re-tightening them all.

Do you stake it to ground when you run it? I’ve seen household Gfci breakers get testy when they lose ground. Also, at least the household breakers seem to where out after a decade.

If I’m not mistaken, it is a standard outlet found at your local hardware store or home improvement store. I advise against trying to repair the old one. Your life may depend on its function, especially considering most generators run ungrounded.

Do you stake it to ground when you run it? I’ve seen household Gfci breakers get testy when they lose ground. Also, at least the household breakers seem to where out after a decade.
GFCI can be used by code to get “three prong” outlets on legacy two conductor service. So they don’t need a ground, and are intended for that use.

If a GFCI is tripping, or won’t latch, there’s some noise or irregularity with power quality going in that’s affecting the comparator in there, or the outlet has failed for another reason.

Back