New GFCI outlet not working

That doesn't explain why the GFCI outlet isn't working. it should still pass current even if the upstream stuff is messed up.

Presumably, it's not working because the upstream stuff that is messed up isn't passing current due to a bad connection. It's common for these backstabbed outlets to be daisy-chained through the backstab connections (see the photo above for an example).

The sort of electrician that uses backstab connections is also the sort of electrician that won't bother to pigtail.

Today I decided to do some basic home maintenance. I had a GFCI outlet on the front porch that wasn't working, but had worked fine until recently. Nothing happened when I pressed the test or reset button. I tested the voltage coming to the outlet with my Fluke multimeter, and there is 120V coming to the outlet. I turned off power at the breaker, re-tested to verify there was no power coming to the outlet (there wasn't), and replaced the outlet with a new GFCI outlet. I triple-checked that my wiring to the new outlet was done correctly (black wire to brass, white wire to silver, ground wire to green), and that I connected the wires to "LINE" on the new outlet. Turned power back on at breaker. I re-checked with my multimeter and there IS 120v coming to the new outlet. NOTHING on the new outlet. The test and reset switches do nothing, and the outlet is not providing power when I plug anything in. I'm now out of my depth. What gives?
Possibly bad out of the box.

I've never noticed any great savings with contractor packs. I've been replacing the circa 2017 Legrand GFCIs the builder installed with Leviton GFCIs because the Legrand GFCIs have a serious problem with nuisance tripping, to include tripping on circuits even with nothing plugged in. The problem may be related to nearby lightning strikes. Unknown if current production Legrand GFCIs have the same problem. The Levitons are working fine (and stocked at Home Depot which is the closest store), so I'll continue to buy them.
I don't want to muddy up the thread with OT stuff, but I'll mention this:

I recently had a very nearby lightning strike which was either on my property or very close to it (neighbor witnessed it). The damage done was that it fried about 5 GFCI receptacles (some in the shop, a couple in the house) and tripped a couple breakers in the main panel. Also fried a couple ethernet "cards" (integrated to the motherboard) in my home computers.

I religiously went around the whole house checking things, everything seemed to be working fine except the above. The big thing I missed (because we're clearing out our basement and not using it) was a blown GFCI that happened to be ourdoors (didn't think to go outside) that powers all the basement outlets. The one thing still attached to my basement outlets? Our large chest freezer. And as fate had it, this lightning event happened only a day or two before my family went on vacation. So I came home to a dripping freezer and about $1K worth of lost frozen goods, mostly meat.

Just wanted to make one last post on this subject to say THANK YOU to everyone who chimed in with your suggestions and ideas. I have learned quite a few things that will help me greatly with future electrical issues. Process also gave me an excuse to buy a good multimeter and an outlet tester that will both come in handy in the future.

Just wanted to make one last post on this subject to say THANK YOU to everyone who chimed in with your suggestions and ideas. I have learned quite a few things that will help me greatly with future electrical issues. Process also gave me an excuse to buy a good multimeter and an outlet tester that will both come in handy in the future.
Knowledge is power (excuse the pun!) I'm a firm believer in anything you can do yourself, learn it and do it, within reason. Residential electric service companies are almost getting as bad as HVAC. A simple trip for an outlet not working, breakers tripping (simple stuff) can often be a few hundred dollars.

I religiously went around the whole house checking things, everything seemed to be working fine except the above. The big thing I missed (because we're clearing out our basement and not using it) was a blown GFCI that happened to be ourdoors (didn't think to go outside) that powers all the basement outlets.

The person that decided to connect all the basement outlets to a GFCI located outdoors needs to be slapped.

Back