GFCI in ungrounded circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
Living in an older home, we have a few circuits that are ungrounded. We did a pretty thorough rewiring a few years back to remove most knob and tube, but there still are a few lights and things that are fed with it, it's all in fine shape, and those circuits we put on AFCI breakers for added protection. The load on them is really light.

But I happened upon one instance where I was curious..., in reading it is recommended that gfci outlets be used on ungrounded receptacles to add a layer of protection. We have one receptacle on the upstairs knob and tube circuit, and it then feeds a vent fan in the bathroom that was installed in the 70s or early 80s, I think. It is fed through a gfci.

But the installer connected the ground conductor on the Romex that goes out from the circuit to the fan and it's switch loop. So there is a ground conductive path from the outlet that power is pulled from, to the fan to the switch loop. Of course it ends at the gfci and does not continue back to the electric panel or an earthen ground.

I've seen discussion for gfci outlets being used in ungrounded applications, that the ground wires on subsequent outlets should not be connected. However, for a hardwired load (fan) or a switch, is there a reason why it perhaps should be connected? My understanding is that a gfci looks for an imbalance in the hot and neutral lines, and it may not necessarily monitor the presence of voltage or any other indicator on the ground connector itself. That's part of the reason why they are preferred for two-wire ungrounded applications. But does a gfci look at the grounding wire at all? Notionally in a fault, it could have 120v potential to neutral, which I suppose is what the gfci could be watching for, and a reason to connect them though they don't actually "earth" any current.

Everything that I've seen appears to have been done properly to code at the time, and all the work is good quality. However I think the connection of the ground was a mistake. That said, everything I've seen that indicates that grounds shouldn't be connected is related to receptacles, not switches or hardwired loads, is there a scenario where it makes sense to connect the ground wire locally on an ungrounded circuit! because of how the gfci functions?

GFCI outlets and breakers don't need a ground reference at all, and no it doesn't even "look at" it. They will trip any time the hot current isn't exactly equal and opposite to the neutral current- the assumption being that current has found another path to ground.

They will work whether or not there is a local ground connection- it doesn't matter. Providing a local ground probably doesn't provide any added safety, but it shouldn't hurt, either.

440Magnum is correct -- GFCI just needs to see different current on the hot and neutral wires (the sum would be 0 under normal operation). I believe the trip point is something like 5 milliamps. You can have AFCI with GFCI, btw.

Here's a good explanation someone provided:

GFCI for shock protection (power going where its not supposed to)

AFCI for fire prevention (excessive electrical current in a specific pattern to denote an arc.)

Thanks! I was just a bit surprised when I was replacing the GFCI (one of the two outlets had gotten really stiff and tough to plug in/out), just because it wasn't consistent with the instructions for wiring. Wasn't sure if there was other logic.

Thanks!

It gets around an idiot inspector flagging it. Anyone smart enough to know it does nothing wouldn't care it was connected, anyone who couldn't figure out the ground wire does nothing would want it connected sort of situation. The only other option would be cutting the wire off or bundling it up in the box. One option doesn't leave the wire available if a ground is added at some point. The other is untidy.

Originally Posted By: dparm
440Magnum is correct -- GFCI just needs to see different current on the hot and neutral wires (the sum would be 0 under normal operation). I believe the trip point is something like 5 milliamps. You can have AFCI with GFCI, btw.

Here's a good explanation someone provided:

GFCI for shock protection (power going where its not supposed to)

AFCI for fire prevention (excessive electrical current in a specific pattern to denote an arc.)

The trigger point for GFCI's is more like 100 MICROamps. They're super sensitive, which is why high humidity can cause them to trip when used with long extension cords lying on the ground sometimes.

I've got no experience with AFCIs. Seems like there would be a lot of nuisance trips for things like kitchen mixers, power tools, and so on with arcs at the commutator.

One of the two circuits with acids has a fixture that has four CFLs. If they are turned on when I shut the breaker, it will open. Under normal,use they are fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back