GF-3 5W-40 for VW

Status
Not open for further replies.
I telephoned VW's Customer Care line and asked about the oil for this 2.8L V-6 engine. She told me to use 5w-40. I replied that there wasn't any available. She said to use Castrol or Mobil 1. I told her that Mobil doesn't make a 5w-40, and that while Castrol did make a 5W-40 Syntec, the local parts houses didn't even have it in their distributors' catalog. She asked me to hold the line while she got more info. She said to buy 5W-40 from the VW dealer. I told her that the dealer only has 5W-30. She said that the dealer must have determined that this viscosity was OK for the climate here (not too hot in coastal Washington). I told her that the dealer's 5W-30 was the cheapest stuff they could buy and didn't meet VW's 505.01 or 503.01 spec. She said that they'd stand behind whatever the dealer used.

Whew.

Ken

VW stands behind whatever the dealer uses. I'd get that in writing.
tongue.gif

Hey, maybe full sythetic Mobil Delvac 5W-40 would work for that engine. It's not approved for VW/Audi gas or diesel engines, but I'm seriously considering it for my 2.8 12v. That oil seems to be a good choice for gas and diesel engines, and the specs look good. Many people here have said good things about Delvac 5W-40.

[ August 12, 2003, 10:56 PM: Message edited by: moribundman ]

Isn't GF-3 a spec for Asian cars? The only thing I know about GF-3 is it limits metallic additives which can harm Asian catalytic converters. Anyway, it all sounds out-of-place because VW/Audi allows these EP additives, even diesel-rated oils with high phosphorous and molly, etc. Don't worry about ~anything~ just get the M1 0w-40 or the new 0w-30 German Syntec, they are both made for your car. BTW- break it in hard and do not change the original oil until 6000 miles. Afterwards, your 10,000 miles Audi interval will be fine with one of these LL 1 oils.

quote:

The only thing I know about GF-3 is it limits metallic additives which can harm Asian catalytic converters.

I believe ILSAC GF-3 is about valve train wear requirements and engine protection of Japanese car makers, not about the cat...
wink.gif

PS:
welcome.gif

[ August 13, 2003, 01:56 AM: Message edited by: moribundman ]

Hey Moribundman, it's Audi Junkie. My registration is screwed up so I had to re-do-it. I am about to change in my Mother-in-Laws '95 12v A6. I have 5qs of M1 0w-40 here and think I'll add 1q of M1 15w-50. I can use the rest of the M1 jug as a top-off oil in my '87 I-5 CGT and my '98 2.8 30v A4. Both of those cars have German Syntec now, I like topping with a heavier oil, especially the 12v so the 15w-50 it is. What do you think?

FTR- GF-3 does limit metallic additives for cat protection, like I mentioned.

Hey TSoA,

Does that mean GF-3 is about phosphorus levels (in ZDDP)? That's what could harm some catalytic converters.

I'm not sure about mixing 0W-40 with 15W-50. Do you think it will thicken the oil noticeably? And how long will the effect last? I'd rather use 15W-50 or 5W-40 to begin with. That said, my 12v is running fine with the 0W-40...

Try Valvoline SynPower 5W-40. It is hard to find but Napa can order it for you. Very popular with the VW crowd, but I would personally get Mobil 1 0W-40 because it is easier to find.

The 12v is just coming off of 5w-30 SynPower. My last 2 changes in my 30v have been Synpower 5w-40. Oil useage has been somewhat low, but my Mother-in-Law is slack in checking her 12v oil, I want to reduce consumption to nill. The 15w-50 says "pours down to -45". So I am not too worried about affecting cold cranking with only 1 quart of the heavy stuff. I definately wanted it for top-off, but I had to buy a 5q jug to get a discount, so I can pawn some off into the next few cars' oil I change.

quote:

Originally posted by yannis:
I wouldn't be surprised if the GF-3 5W-40 503.01 thing(all in one type of oil) ,turned to be a printing error in the manual.As a matter of fact i can't think of anything else

You may be onto something, even Mobil 1 5W-40 Synt S Special V that was developed specifically for VW to meet 505.01 doesn't have GF-3 spec. The story is the same for Castrol 505.01 5W-40, used as factory fill. Unfortunately neither one is available here in US.

[ August 14, 2003, 12:00 AM: Message edited by: F1Crazy ]

quote:

Originally posted by TSoA:
Isn't GF-3 a spec for Asian cars? The only thing I know about GF-3 is it limits metallic additives which can harm Asian catalytic converters.

The GF-x specs are developed by ILSAC (International Lubricant Standardization and Approval Committee), a group of U.S. and Asian car makers, oil addtive package companies, and oil companies. They look at what government regulators will want for near-future emission and fuel economy requirements and what the engines can endure and the oil companies can provide. When the new ILSAC rating is agreed upon, then API incorporates it into their next Service category, along with European car maker input.

ILSAC GF-4 has been proposed for 2004 for model year 2005 cars. It will be part of the API Service Category SM oil specification.
http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=003149#000000

Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back