Getting started on 30x50 garage/shop build

Looks awesome! You'll occasionally see a similar metal building succumb to 5-6ft of snow on it's roof + wind in my area, but it's rare to see that happen and even moreso for it to happen to you, given where you live.

If you don't mind me asking, how much do you figure the project will add to your property tax bill?

Finally emptied my yard of building parts and put the last piece on Monday.

Now I can move onto more enjoyable things like garage door, electric, gutters, some site leveling/drainage and especially installing 2-post lift. Definitely on the downhill side.

Still need to get my county inspector out here to finalize my building permit, wonder how long it takes before my tax bill goes up...

Started this whole thing with only some very rudimentary construction knowledge, sure learned a lot. Wasn't really sure what I was getting myself into, but these kits are not terribly difficult to put up, insulation is by far the worst part. But without the insulation all you have is a metal tin can IMO. It's amazing just the sound deadening that the insulation provides. Aside from the frame which took 4 people, most of it was done with just the wife and I, and a friend (with even less construction knowledge) on days the wife had stuff going on. 6 vacation days off work and 2-3 weekends is about the time I had in the actual construction of it, but we hired out the concrete. Being able to borrow a forklift & scissor lift from work which allowed me to take my time, was invaluable.

Congratulations………………….

….on what appears to be an excellent location for a May 2023 “Midwest BITOGers Garage Warming Party………..” 😎

Looks awesome! You'll occasionally see a similar metal building succumb to 5-6ft of snow on it's roof + wind in my area, but it's rare to see that happen and even moreso for it to happen to you, given where you live.

If you don't mind me asking, how much do you figure the project will add to your property tax bill?
Thanks! The building/steel is made to local codes regarding roof/snow loading, wind speed, etc. IIRC the requirement here is that it support 15lb /sq ft snow load, and 115mph wind gusts, 90mph sustained winds. The concrete reinforcement is especially important with these-- there's literally nine columns holding the whole thing up; that's a lot of load placed in 9 small areas of concrete when you have weight on the roof with the wind blowing. Not much snow here, I imagine freezing rain would probably be the bigger issue as it pertains to roof loading.

I'm pretty sure my property taxes here when you include all the county stuff is right around 1%. I estimate it will raise my property taxes about $40-50 a month, but my tax bill this year used last year's assessment, so don't have hard numbers yet.

Reactions: JTK
Show me the very short list of BITOGERs who wouldn’t want to own that beautiful garage/shop! We’ll have the moderators ban them………!

Show me the very short list of BITOGERs who wouldn’t want to own that beautiful garage/shop! We’ll have the moderators ban them………!
LOL. Spend some time over at the garagejournal forum. I have the Pinto model compared to what I see over there!

Minor update-- installed a mini-split AC/heat unit. This particular 2-ton (24,000 btu) unit has a 19 SEER2 rating. Not the most efficient, but affordable. Whisper quiet at the outside unit, uses inverter / variable compressor. Delivered right to my door and with my teenage son helping, had it installed in a couple days. Wasn't complicated at all, about $1400 total invested including wiring and concrete pad.

Attachments

• IMG_4845.jpg
    IMG_4845.jpg
    171.9 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_4855.jpg
    IMG_4855.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_4869.jpg
    IMG_4869.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_4888.jpg
    IMG_4888.jpg