Getting rid of ants in a car without pesticides.

Status
Not open for further replies.
as stated above boric acid is the bomb. Mix with pancake syrup/honey and just a dot of it will attract and feed the buggers.

The key is to remember you need a slow kill, the worker ants mean nothing as Momma will just make more. The slow kill means the poison will eventually make it home to Big Momma, then the colony is kaput...

I would think as hot as it's been in the South to park the car in the sun during the day with the windows up and that should kill every living thing in the car.

Originally Posted by Silverado12
I would think as hot as it's been in the South to park the car in the sun during the day with the windows up and that should kill every living thing in the car.

You'd be surprised - they've been around 300mill yrs give or take. I had those pharoah ants pop a gfi because they decided they liked the heat and built a nest around it. I ended up ripping out the surrounding wall board to spray the ants with an instant knock down insecticide that had a residual repellent effect to prevent a re-infestation. (I originally wanted to take a can of hair spray and a lighter to the little buggers but my girlfriend at the time convinced me that was a bad idea...‚). Man I had a whole mess of dead ants...it was actually kinda creepy. I'm just glad it wasn't biting ants like in the south. I woulda called a pro for that one...

Last edited:
Originally Posted by SteveSRT8
as stated above boric acid is the bomb. Mix with pancake syrup/honey and just a dot of it will attract and feed the buggers.

The key is to remember you need a slow kill, the worker ants mean nothing as Momma will just make more. The slow kill means the poison will eventually make it home to Big Momma, then the colony is kaput...

Yeah, i make my own.. not too much boric acid or the ants won't touch it IMO. You can also try using peanut butter if they're not taking to the syrup. Apparently sometimes ants are seeking protein (and water) as opposed to just sugars.

Boric acid is tried and true.. you just have to be patient and allow it to work it's way through the nest. It will eventually kill every ant that shares in it.

Last edited:
Yes, putting the car in the sun will work.

One of the vintage Lotus models was built with something that attracted ants. Baking the car in the sun for a few days was the preferred solution.

Once you moved the car, those ants were as good as dead. They use a chemical scent trail to find their way back to the nest. Won't take but a couple days, they're probably done by now.

Since you only saw 4-5, they were probably scouts out looking for food....if you had left a tasty donut in there you would have seen some serious numbers.

Originally Posted by JLTD
....if you had left a tasty donut in there you would have seen some serious numbers.

...‚...‚...‚.. right!

they need water. I've had an infestation once from parking beneath a tree. 3 days later in the hot sun they were done.

Ant gel or Raid double-action ant bait. Yes, they use insecticides but you're not blindly spraying it in the car. The ants eat it, take it back to their nest and it wipes out the colony via communal feeding. In the case of the professional stuff(Bayer Maxforce gel or Syngenta Advion), I've actually seen ants die on the way back to the colony.

Gel/bait uses albamectin, dinetofuran or indoxacarb - which work at a lower rate of AI and are toxic to ants/roaches but have almost little effect on humans. I know the local transit agencies use Maxforce or Advion ant/roach gel to keep them free of ants and roaches.

Originally Posted by pezzy669
Has anyone successfully baked bugs out of their cars parking it in the blazing sun all day?

I've done it!
Here in Maryland I get the opportunity to both bake or freeze bugs to death in my car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back