Getting More Old Oil Out When Doing a Change

I'd like to get more of the old oil out when making a change.

I know how I do it on an old car or motorcycle. Just pull the plugs or disconnect the ignition system then crank the engine on the starter for a few seconds. Must be much more complicated to prevent a modern engine firing up when cranked so I've never tried it.

For what it's worth I find using an oil extractor gets more oil out than using the drain plug. That doesn't make sense but I've measured it and found that to be the case.

All of the old, extra oil has to come out eventually.... Let it drain for 4-5 days or longer, however long it takes to get all 5.7 quarts out.

Negative, Sir. Regardless how long you drain it some oil will remain in the engine.
It's 900 ml in case of my GTI's EA888 3G and it seems to be even 1300 ml in case
of Shel's Toyota. More time won't do anything.

Change your oil and be happy. I feel you are reading way to much and not driving enough. Nobody I know ever reads that much into the "Dry Fill" section of a manual.

I think that most of the oil is retained in the cylinder head and therefore, adding oil to the crankcase will have no effect. Just make sure that the drain plug hole is positioned at the lowest position when you drain. Maybe this will require the vehicle to be tilted side to side or front to back to achieve this. Also, be sure to remove the fill cap before starting the drain so a vacuum of sorts doesn't slow down the drain. Let the oil drain for a full 15 minutes, refill and sleep well. Ed

I know how I do it on an old car or motorcycle. Just pull the plugs or disconnect the ignition system then crank the engine on the starter for a few seconds. Must be much more complicated to prevent a modern engine firing up when cranked so I've never tried it.

For what it's worth I find using an oil extractor gets more oil out than using the drain plug. That doesn't make sense but I've measured it and found that to be the case.
May be but it is dependent on the sump design, plug position, car ramp height etc. It will work better on some cars than others.

No matter how long you let it drain, or even if you HAD a rotisserie and rolled the vehicle 180 or 360 degrees, any vehicle has main oil galleries, most have hydraulic lifters, drilled oil holes in the crankshaft...and the oil pump itself...all have residual oil in them after draining....Everyone here knows this.
The most radical thing I've done that I can recollect in response to contaminated oil (when I had a UOA show me 440 ppm Sodium in the oil) caused by a minute antifreeze leak (GM 3800, notorious for this in the UIM) was I fixed the leak, then drained the oil overnight, refilled with new oil & filter, then drove 1,000 miles and changed it all again....short sacrificial oil change interval to rid any parts per million antifreeze remaining in the stygian depths of the engine. Was this a waste of time & money? I'm not real sure, but it let me sleep at night and 100K miles later I'm still driving the car....
If you want to be real anal...drain the oil & replace the plug, fill it with 1/2 new oil required, then start it and let it idle while you go have an adult beverage or sandwich, 20-30 minutes, then drain it again and see if what comes out is significantly darker than what went in......
My two cents, with all due respect sir, as others here have well said, you are way too concerned over nothing, but it is your vehicle, your time & money, do whatever lets you sleep at night. Peace. 🍻

Many manufacturers have verbiage citing possible engine damage due to over filling.

Not worth it for some perceived benefit. Certainly not worth it with a quart of Mobil 1. That's BITOG sacrilege.
There are plenty of PQIA reject oils at 711 down the street.

I remember back in the 1980's doing an oil change, now I do take the oil dipstick out as well as the oil cap and PCV hose before doing an oil change. Does more oil come out, who knows, but it seems to pour out better, LOL

Anyways, I was changing my oil 1 day and my buddy gave me a quart of Mobil 1 15W-50, he told me after my oil drained out I should pour it in and it would flush out the old oil. It did not work out that way, what came out was fresh oil. The old oil, guessing half a quart or more was somewhere else.

You disconnect the pcv hose when doing an oil change??

I prefer cold. All the oil is in the pan and I don't get burned getting to the dang filter.
But the MityVac prefers hot...
Me too. 0W20 for the win--I've changed 0W20 in below freezing temps, and just like they say, it's water thin, even at those temperatures.

I'm more worried I might die of boredom driving my Toyota than I am concerned about some old oil remaining in the engine after draining it! Sleep well. Your car will last a very, very long time with the normal oil change procedure.

blupupher

Site Donor 2021
Only way to get all the old oil out (without tearing the engine down) is to drain oil and change filter, add oil till full, run engine for 5 minutes, and repeat 9 more times. At this point only about 0.182 qts of old oil will remain.

Then take all that wasted oil and give it to someone that understands that the oil left in the engine after an oil change does not make 1 bit of difference in longevity if you have been changing the oil appropriately.

Overfilling by 1 qt for a few miles will still leave ~1.4 qts in the engine after draining (as designed), with over a qt of that still being "old" oil.
It is still wasting good oil just as in my example above.

You are overthinking this. If it was bad, every vehicle made would be having issues, since they all have varying amounts of oil left in the engine internal passages when oil changed.

Shel_B

Site Donor 2022
I drive the left side of my Canyon up on a 2x4 so the pan will drain toward the plug, and I've been known to let it drain overnight. That's about as much as you can do....let gravity and time assist as much as possible.
You clearly don't understand the question. I reread what I wrote in case I wasn't clear, but it seems clear to me.

change oil HOT + jack according to get the drain hole at the lowest point. dropping it + rejacking may help as does a hour drain time, easy being retired!!