Get 4 matching tires or just get 2

It's the next day and I forgot some basics:
1) How many miles are on the car you just bought? (I always ask that).
2) What condition are the 2 non-new tires in?
3) Since it appears you're not swimming in cash and you're not up to speed on tire brands etc., why don't you drive on the rubber you got, save up a bit, research tires.
4) The tires you got now may grind off the car sooner than you expect.
The car could have an alignment issue or you might be aggressive and wear 'em down even faster.

Then you'd be in better position to purchase wisely.

By any chance, are you in for a "low profile tire vs rough roads" kind of lesson? just askin'.

In an analogous manner to "Perfect is the enemy of the good", seeking some perfect set of tires tomorrow might not be what you need.
I'm assuming that the mismatched set won't kill you.
It's the next day and I forgot some basics:
1) How many miles are on the car you just bought? (I always ask that). 29,000 has one OEM tire. My guess is the odd ball is from having a flat or something the dealership probably replaced the two in front because they weren't rotated and were wore out.
2) What condition are the 2 non-new tires in? 7/32
3) Since it appears you're not swimming in cash and you're not up to speed on tire brands etc., why don't you drive on the rubber you got, save up a bit, research tires. Seems odd to hear this ...... I know quite a bit about most major tire brands but yeah I'm lacking on the cheap china tires....junk isn't my specialty. Money isn't a problem.... at all actually. 🤷

4) The tires you got now may grind off the car sooner than you expect.
The car could have an alignment issue or you might be aggressive and wear 'em down even faster. No wear issues and alignment is spot on.
Then you'd be in better position to purchase wisely.

By any chance, are you in for a "low profile tire vs rough roads" kind of lesson? just askin'. No.

In an analogous manner to "Perfect is the enemy of
the good", seeking some perfect set of tires tomorrow might not be what you need.
I'm assuming that the mismatched set won't kill you. Order a set of generals rt45 and installed them myself this Evening. Drive great! Super smooth handle well ride nice.

I bought a 2020 VW Jetta gli and the dealer installed two brand new crossmax ct-1 tires. On the rear the car has a hankook and a velozza. I can't stand miss matched tires on the same axle. Either way do I leave the brand new crossmax tires and replace to with a similar tread pattern matching pair or do I just do all 4? What would you do?

A GLI should have some decent performance tires. I would recommend 4 Michelin PS4 Sports. That's what I changed to when I replaced the originals on my GTI.

You know- there was a time when I would go 4 new, but current penny pinching for more important things- I would find something close and forget about it as long as they are fitted to the same axle.

If in a winter climate this is a good candidate vehicle for summer sports and a separate set of winters. But, that is a tough pill to swallow buying 8 tires and a set of rims all at once! You're on 18s and a sport suspension so the ride isn't going to be plush no matter what tire you run. It's not brutal though, still a comfortable vehicle.

If all tires had good tread I'd run it until it was time to replace them . But I'm not nearly as anal as most people here . My opinions are usually in the minority but I'm going to continue to do what has always worked for me . You do you .

If all tires had good tread I'd run it until it was time to replace them . But I'm not nearly as anal as most people here . My opinions are usually in the minority but I'm going to continue to do what has always worked for me . You do you .
It would have likely been just fine like that to. No doubt. I hated how they drove in the rain though I have the cash so I don't mind fitting it to my standards but obviously leaving it as is would have been safe and ok. Im

A GLI should have some decent performance tires. I would recommend 4 Michelin PS4 Sports. That's what I changed to when I replaced the originals on my GTI.
I went with the general altimax rt45 which seems to be a great balance for me. They ride decent and handle well. Honestly they handle at least as good as the Goodyear exhilarates that were on my WRX.
For a daily driver I'm happy with this choice. For track use or something more extreme I would have went with a dedicated performance summer tire. But it'll never see the track. It'll be daily drove. A lot of long trips and some enjoyable car cruises probably but that's it.

When I was buying the vehicle, after negotiating the out the door price, I would have made it a condition of the sale that I'd pay (a reasonable sum) for two more crossmax ct-1 so they all match.

When I was buying the vehicle, after negotiating the out the door price, I would have made it a condition of the sale that I'd pay (a reasonable sum) for two more crossmax ct-1 so they all match.
So then I'd have 4 cheap tires instead of two? I guess I get what your saying but walking on a car thats 5k under market value over $200 worth of tires wouldn't make much sense for me to do. I get tires at cost and installed them myself so it wasn't really a huge deal. Maybe for some people it would have been a bigger deal but in my case it was pretty much a non issue.

^ That's not much of a request for the dealer to bare, pretty sure they would have agreed to make the sale, since you'd be paying for it.

^ That's not much of a request for the dealer to bare, pretty sure they would have agreed to make the sale, since you'd be paying for it.
Yeah and I would of had 4 cheap tires that I would have replaced anyway. As soon as I drove them in the rain I was 100% decided they had to go. Also had to hope some lube tech didn't scuff the wheels etc. Since I get tires at wholesale price it just wasn't worth it to me

Back