Get 245 ancient quarts of 20w-50 for only $3.26 a quart!

Someone is dreaming big..

Screenshot 2024-01-11 212802.jpg

And here I thought the 15 year old SM GTX HM was OLD!

Have seen a lot of oil for sale ads on Facebook as of late, one was a 55 gal drum of 5W-30 no name... had an API label but the price came out to about $5 per quart. There's a lot better and easier to manage choices at that price point.

Sell as a group only?
They can't be bothered to sell in small lots. But of course the buyer is presumed to have the wherewithal to handle this.

I get ads like this for piles of used tires, must take all. Well, yeah, they've been picked over and are weather cracked and worse than worthless now.

If anyone were to buy this it should be a used car dealer for topping off their beaters, but they should pay maybe $50 for the whole lot.

Probably best to find someone with a diesel to just slowly mix it into the fuel or someone who burns a quart a week.

They can't be bothered to sell in small lots. But of course the buyer is presumed to have the wherewithal to handle this.

I get ads like this for piles of used tires, must take all. Well, yeah, they've been picked over and are weather cracked and worse than worthless now.

If anyone were to buy this it should be a used car dealer for topping off their beaters, but they should pay maybe $50 for the whole lot.
Exactly! Price is wayyy too high especially for what looks to be 90s GTX (by the bottling). Some of these sellers are just ruthless in the "buyer" requirements.

If someone had a few older vehicles that burned oil or had a really old diesel where one could run some oil in the fuel that would be a good buy for maybe $200 tops. Otherwise that stuff should just go in the oil tank at the local auto parts store a few gallons per day.

I'd pay no more than $2 per quart but if i have to buy it all or none it's $1.50
Considering a 5qt jug of fresh supertech 20w-50 is $16.48 (roughly equal to his current per quart asking price) this would have to be nearly free to make it worth it to anyone IMO. Even then they'd have to be in the something burning a qt per week and just keep topping it off until it dies type scenario.

Could possibly be, If i was there i'd be checking the cap seals. Because there isn't a link and the image is low res i can't see it but they look to be unopened.
Someone should go over there and check every cap seal, date code, and API rating while the seller watches. Maybe arbitrarily sorting them into two piles, with no discernable difference between them, while muttering "Uh-huh" or "oh, no".

SWINM once made a seller stand in the rain for ~5 minutes while haggling over some pre-owned tires. 😁

Depending on how old it is, if it's high ZDDP GTX I could see LBC guys snapping it up, but not at that price.

High ZDDP 20W-50 in cars that love to leak oil for cheap? I might even be tempted, but at more like $1/qt or so. I'm still sitting on about 20 bottles of VR-1 20W-50 that I paid about that much for a few years ago.

Back