gerneric viscosity question

Status
Not open for further replies.
If oil A has a 100C viscosity of 10 and oil B has a viscosity of 12, is oil B 20% thicker than A?

No not only just at 100C, that was just an example. To me it you should be able to compare it at any viscosity.

Originally Posted By: jstutz
No not only just at 100C, that was just an example. To me it you should be able to compare it at any viscosity.

It doesn't work that way. An easy way to see it: two oils could have the exact same 100° C kinematic viscosity, but could be formulated from very different basestocks, VII's, PPD's, etc and the cold temp viscosities could be very different.

It doesn't work that way. An easy way to see it: two oils could have the exact same 100° C kinematic viscosity, but could be formulated from very different basestocks, VII's, PPD's, etc and the cold temp viscosities could be very different.

yep, i realize this and i understand that you cant characterize an oil by the 100C viscosity. Im just asking, given two viscosities as the same temp, no matter what it is, could you say x is y% thicker? Example, Oil A viscosity of 1000Cst at 20F and Oil B is 1500Cst at 20F, is oil B 50 percent thicker at a temp of 20F. I just made those numbers up so i dont really know if they are realisitc but it still gets my question across.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back