German Castrol made in USA?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Autozone had a lot of types of Syntec, but two caught my eye. One was 0w30 European Formula, made in Germany. This is obviously German Castrol. The other was 5w40 European Formula. The back label said something like "European protection now formulated in the USA." Can I assume this is also German Castrol? It's the viscosity I want. Here are the specs from Castrol's website.

SAE 5W–40:
is engineered specifically to meet the Volkswagen engine warranty requirements, exceeding VW 502 00 and 505 00. Exceeds all car and light truck manufacturer’s warranty requirements for the protection for gasoline, diesel and turbocharged engines where API SL, SJ, SH, CF or CD is recommended. Exceeds European ACEA: A3, B3, B4, MB 229.3, MB 229.1, BMW LL-98, Porsche A40. Meets the engine protection requirements of Volvo, BMW, Mercedes Benz and ILSAC GF-3 for API Certified Gasoline Engine Oils.

It's different from German Castrol.

That's the former "Belgian Castrol" Syntec 5w40 that's been around since 2000 or so.

Originally Posted By: flyingtoaster
The other was 5w40 European Formula. The back label said something like "European protection now formulated in the USA." Can I assume this is also German Castrol?

No. The term "German Castrol" only applies to Syntec 0w-30 with "Made in Germany" printed on the back label.

Originally Posted By: chubbs1
Either will be a good choice for you, I would go 5w40 if you are using for your FSI 2.0

Thanks, I wasn't sure if GC was better than other formulations or just more widely tested.

Originally Posted By: flyingtoaster
Originally Posted By: chubbs1
Either will be a good choice for you, I would go 5w40 if you are using for your FSI 2.0

Thanks, I wasn't sure if GC was better than other formulations or just more widely tested.

GC is better in a sense that it is more shear stable over extended oil drain intervals.

You haven't said what this oil is for, so it's hard to say which one of the two would be better for you. But as far as base oil quality, GC is better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back