German Castrol: Believe the hype ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry I wasn't able to respond sooner:

Paul,
Yeah, I am really curious about this whole EC thing. I wouldn't go so far as to say I'm taking it "seriously," or that I'm even more serious about it than you are. Remember, I've spent a total $0 on this unguent. And you've spent, what? Maybe $700-$1,000 so far? I don't think you'll have to worry "if it does disappear tomorrow"! (And at this stage, I'd also say don't worry about protecting "whatever reputation for sanity" you think you may have.
wink.gif
)

Yes, I'm tongue-in-cheek as well, but for most of these EC threads it's been as much to keep it firmly bit upon as it's been to have fun.

YZF150,
I guess it's the sheer volume of posts which has me stumped. I agree that some of the discussion has been mundane, but I also feel that many folks have been swept up in the proselytizing of the few. I don't want to discourange anyone from buying good oil (& I do want to discourage people from buying crummy oil). But there are good oils available without needing to spend anywhere near $1,000, or all the time, worry, gasoline, & wear-&-tear on your vehicle over several days of driving around just trying to find some.

I also agree that the proof is in the UOAs, but I feel any decent oil should go these distances without a problem. The fact that EC shows well after 3k-5k miles in a non-turbo engine doesn't really impress when an unknown dino does just as well for just as long. We have members who've posted UOAs after 10k & 20k miles in turbocharged engines on other synthetics. Is there anyone doing this with EC? Or will we only hear excuses about weather, driving styles, & the safety of short change intervals?

joatmon,
Yes, I agree that the choice of buying an A3-rated OEM-spec 30wt is fantastic! If Castrol had decided to make this stuff available to North America two years ago, rather than two months ago, I might still be a Castrol user. I think your reasons are entirely valid for using it, just not for spending inordinate amounts of time & money to do so. (But I do agree, life was easier when there was less to know!)

gtoracer,
As you noted, the specs & labeling are different, so the concensus around here is that they're different. Unfortunately, Castrol Tech Support is only adding confusion to the question by saying they're the same. Go figger. Welcome to the group!
welcome.gif

quote:

But there are good oils available without needing to spend anywhere near $1,000, or all the time, worry, gasoline, & wear-&-tear on your vehicle over several days of driving around just trying to find some.

Just look at it this way, all that driving that people are doing just puts them a little bit closer to their next oil sampling date!
grin.gif

I am convinced that when the data is in, EC/GC will prove to be as good or better than most of the oils our members use. Elixir of Life? Probably not. Better than some are giving it credit for? I believe so. I am still puzzled about the distribution. My one major Autozone source keeps abundantly supplied; my other AZ source has been "dry" for two weeks or more; and two more stores have yet to see their first case. I know that for some of you that is reason enough to stay away from the stuff...can't say I blame you; but for those of us who are hooked, it is , shall we say, a conundrum.
cheers.gif

PS One thing this furor over EC/GC has taught me is how narrowly focused I have been; when the EC/GC chatter dried up I was having a time trying to find a thread in which to make meaningful comment (gotta get out more!)
grin.gif

[ September 15, 2003, 01:58 PM: Message edited by: pscholte ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back