German Castrol: Believe the hype ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

I haven't said it's anything other than a fine oil. In fact, I've now said it is a fine oil 4 times! It's just that, in my opinion, the hype doesn't match the performance. Heck, it's not even outperforming an unknown, bulk-supply dino 5W-30.

Run that unknown dino vs GC for a 10k interval though, and I bet it's performance suffers!

I've made a list of the reasons to get excited about this oil, at least from my point of view:

-it's a thicker 30wt oil, perfect for many looser clearance engines
-it's a 0w oil, so it'll flow under the coldest conditions you can throw at it
-it holds it's viscosity very well based on the UOAs we've seen so far
-it holds it's TBN well
-3.6 HTHS
-passes many stringent European tests including BMW longlife
-has shown very low wear in UOAs so far
-I can find this oil at Walmart and Canadian Tire and for less than Mobil 1, and considerably less than other "high ester content" synthetics
-this oil is very versatile, can be run in many different engines
-it's truly an oil you can use all year round, from the coldest winter morning to the hottest summer afternoon

Although we'll see how much I'll be singing the praises of this oil 5 weeks from now when I get my first UOA from this oil in my Firebird.
smile.gif

:Do Command> Reason

why this oil should be considered head-&-shoulders above all others.

I don't think it has been. The hype and rhetoric of the several more-enthusiastic buyers has drowned out a fairly reasonable background noise of interest in this newcomer to the oil shelves. There have been some assertions that have taken liberties with the body of truth surrounding the oil, and, in keeping with what is typical of human thinking and behaviour, some have confused what they desire with what they know.

Overall, however, I believe that the hoarding and rush to know more has been a function of the uncertainty about how it will indeed perform, and whether it will even remain to be found. There continues to be high interest in a 30 weight synthetic oil--of any stripe--that is thicker than Mobil1 and which is less expensive than the boutique products. The German manufacture and the perception that German engineering skill would somehow impart a qualitative advantage no doubt also play a role.

Right now, I believe that wishful thinking remains the animating principle. The volume of posting about the oil, however, should not be mistaken for wholesale rush to judgment. And, as more and more of these solid UOA reports come along, the science will begin to displace the passions. There are close to 30 members here, at least, running this oil. There is plenty of opportunity to learn more about what the product can really do.

:End

:Resume Command> Passion

quote:

Originally posted by YZF150:
The hype and rhetoric of the several more-enthusiastic buyers has drowned out a fairly reasonable background noise of interest in this newcomer to the oil shelves.

Hey, Patman, you think he is talking about us?
grin.gif
You do? I'm Ok with that.

quote:

Originally posted by pscholte:

quote:

Originally posted by YZF150:
The hype and rhetoric of the several more-enthusiastic buyers has drowned out a fairly reasonable background noise of interest in this newcomer to the oil shelves.

Hey, Patman, you think he is talking about us?
grin.gif
You do? I'm Ok with that.

tongue.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
Run that unknown dino vs GC for a 10k interval though, and I bet it's performance suffers!

Moot point, as the longest interval on EC so far is only 5500 miles. Are you running it for 10k miles in your Firebird? Or letting your sister's car go that long? C'mon man! I'm running M1 0W-40 for 10k miles in my beat'em-up turbo fer-cryin'-out-loud-in-the-rain-dontcha-know!

OK Patman, just for comparison's sake, let's look at EC vs my fave:
-it's a 0w oil, so it'll flow under the coldest conditions you can throw at it
-3.6 HTHS
-passes many stringent European tests including BMW longlife
-this oil is very versatile, can be run in many different engines
-it's truly an oil you can use all year round, from the coldest winter morning to the hottest summer afternoon
[Well, so far I'd say it's a wash. Waddaya think?]
-it's a thicker 30wt oil, perfect for many looser clearance engines
[Hmmmm ... there may be some merit here, but isn't this the usual "complaint" about M1 0W-40? And wasn't there some debate recently about how much difference 1 or 1.5 cSt really makes? I mean, what kind of clearance differences are we talking about that can benefit from this small of a change?]
-it holds it's viscosity very well based on the UOAs we've seen so far
-it holds it's TBN well
-has shown very low wear in UOAs so far
[No better than M1 0W-40 when run for equivalent miles in comparable engines & similar seasonal conditions.]
-I can find this oil at Walmart and Canadian Tire and for less than Mobil 1, and considerably less than other "high ester content" synthetics
[Ah! We may have a winner here! Less cost for equal performance is always good. And especially considering the "high ester content" of this ... wait a minute ... isn't "high ester content" simply a supposition being made WRT it's claimed pour point? And isn't the veracity of this claim now being questioned? Has anyone proven it's got "high ester content"? Or is this another moot point?]
[But we can still use the price/performance aspect, right? Whew!]

Oka-a-a-y ... so ... looking at the tally here ... we've got:
Winning points:
1) Emotional attachment (it's new)
2) Physical attraction (it's green & sweet-smelling)
3) Lower cost (than M1)
Questionable advatages:
1) Basically, all the typical stuff you look for in any oil: Viscosity range, visc & TBN retention, HT/HS
Red herrings:
1) Extended drain performance
2) "High ester content"

Obviously, this is just a fun little exercise. (Albeit a fun little exercise with data.) Patman knows I'm not beating up on him (you do know that, right?), I'm just trying to break down his argument.

YZF150,
Excellent counterpoint! (Are there pointy ears on your head?) I disagree with your assertion that it has not been paraded around as the New Messiah of engine oils, as the literally hundreds of posts by fervent believers will attest. As you say, there may be only a few overly-enthusiastic individuals, but the sheer volume of posts is beyond excessive for any oil displaying these limited results. If this occurred with, say, Schaeffer's or Amsoil, people would be crying "Foul!" in an instant!

I agree with your observations regarding uncertainty of future supplies, wishful thinking & the confusion between desire & knowledge. I can see where this rounds out the "Emotional" aspect, beyond my "Look! A shiny round object!" interpretation. And I'm not saying the results aren't "solid UOA reports," just that they're not good enough to justify the absurd devotion being displayed.

I'm not suggesting that anyone should switch from EC to M1, especially if they're disappointed with M1 & happy with EC. That's not my quest. Again, I'm simply looking for reasons why anyone would drive for five or six hours in a single day to find this stuff, or stock up with enough to carry them thru the next two API upgrades?

Anyone else care to jump into this good-natured fray ... ?
tongue.gif

Hehe, it's all in good fun!
smile.gif

If my sister wasn't moving out west soon, I would definitely test out GC 0w30 in her car for a 20,000km next summer but unfortunately it's pretty much a sure thing that she'll be moving in a month or two. I plan on going with 10,000km intervals in my Firebird for the first little while (first interval will only be 5000km though), but may eventually go with one 10,000km interval from late fall to spring, and then one 20,000km interval from spring to late fall. (I do about 30,000km per year)

My sister is selling her Civic to my mom, so I'll continue using GC in it, but the driving distance on the car will go from 800km a week down to about 100km a week, so there is no way I could test this oil out in that car on a super long interval anymore, it would take 4 years for my mom to go 20,000km!

I am going to be putting in GC in my dad's 2004 Volvo XC70 soon, and after the first 6000km interval, he'll be doing 12,000km intervals (7500mi) with it.

I'm sure someone on here will push this oil to beyond 10k though. Maybe someone will do a long term "3MP style" test on it even!
smile.gif

[ September 12, 2003, 01:15 PM: Message edited by: Patman ]

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
I'm sure someone on here will push this oil to beyond 10k though. Maybe someone will do a long term "3MP style" test on it even!
smile.gif

I've told 3MP that I would supply him with enough German Syntec for the run after the upcoming Amsoil. He's interested, but hasn't accepted my offer as of yet.

quote:

Originally posted by Eiron:

I'm not suggesting that anyone should switch from EC to M1, especially if they're disappointed with M1 & happy with EC. That's not my quest. Again, I'm simply looking for reasons why anyone would drive for five or six hours in a single day to find this stuff, or stock up with enough to carry them thru the next two API upgrades?

Anyone else care to jump into this good-natured fray ... ?
tongue.gif

Well, I've got reasons, maybe they're not valid for others, or perhaps others think my reasoning is flawed. I'm looking for an oil that's _W30, meets ACEA A3/B3 and BMW Longlife. Why? I've got a couple of BMWs and the BMW syn seems to be good for 6 - 8K in most cases. The GC looks like it MIGHT be good for more than that. The reasons for optimism have been articulated quite well by Patman.

OTOH, I remember buying massive quantities of Mobil 1 Tri-Syn when it looked like SuperSyn was a bust. I had to sheepishly return 58 or 59 quarts to Wal*Mart. I don't want to return my (excuse me, out to oil shrine to check stock, gotta get this on the computer) 34 quarts of German Castrol to AutoZone.
nono.gif

I kind of long for the old days. I'd stop by the dealership once a year and get 3 or 4 filters, and hit the parts store every 3 or 4 months and get a case of Mobil 1.
confused.gif

Eiron,

Unless you are using this as research for part of a Master's program, or are just REALLY CURIOUS, I think you are taking this way to seriously; I mean I have ** quarts of the stuff and while I have fun with the topic, I don't think I take EC/GC as seriously (as an "issue") as you are. I DO believe it is good oil and I DO obviously want to have plenty on hand (especially if it disappears as quickly as it appreared), but if it does disappear tomorrow...oh well...it was fun while it lasted.

**data masked to protect whatever reputation for sanity I may have

[ September 12, 2003, 02:08 PM: Message edited by: pscholte ]

quote:

Originally posted by pscholte:
Eiron,

Unless you are using this as research for part of a Master's program, or are just REALLY CURIOUS, I think you are taking this way to seriously; I mean I have ** quarts of the stuff and while I have fun with the topic, I don't think I take EC/GC as seriously (as an "issue") as you are. I DO believe it is good oil and I DO obviously want to have plenty on hand (especially if it disappears as quickly as it appreared), but if it does disappear tomorrow...oh well...it was fun while it lasted.

**data masked to protect whatever reputation for sanity I may have

Probably actually ***** quarts.
rolleyes.gif
grin.gif

Mark

I disagree with your assertion that it has not been paraded around as the New Messiah of engine oils, as the literally hundreds of posts by fervent believers will attest.

What I asserted was that the parading and posting by those believers "...has drowned out a fairly reasonable background noise of interest..." in the oil and I reiterate that I believe that to be the case. Strip away the rhetoric and the posting about "green", "elixir", "gummibears", "brotherhood", and all the rest, and what remains is a fairly typical dialogue--replete with criticism of the parent company--about a motor oil that appears to meet the needs of many of the members here.

Please do not mistake this rejoinder as a defence of either the noise or the oil. I've maintained from the start that the proof is in the UOAs. This particular phenomenon has been entertaining at times, and distracting at others. But it is after all, just a motor oil.

Since this has all become much larger than the oil itself, let me see if, once and for all, I can pare my participation in this down to its essentials: (1) one of the limitations of email is that, with the exception of using emoticons, the reader cannot, FOR CERTAIN, tell what what is going on in the mind of the author; while I am NO KIDDING a big fan of GC, my tongue has been in my cheek so often my cheek should have made a hole in it. (2) I felt like this oil had generated an interest and excitement like few other things on this board (look at the number of posts--they are not ALL Patman's and mine) and I had fun running with it. In fact, I think some of the silliness actually stimulated sensible comment regarding the oil that might not otherwise have occurred and the important thing is, it has not all been silliness. (3) Part of the thing that makes this board special is the chemistry that exists among a large and diverse group of people most of whom have never met each other. I really believe this topic intensified a camaraderie among participants in the discussion (and maybe also among those who voiced common regret over the direction the discussion had taken). (4) BOTTOM LINE: This is a forum about oil. Just like life is not meant to be populated with only serious moments, neither should this board be that way. I will tell you that, even given all the silliness, I'll bet our participants who have paid attention know A LOT about this oil and they might not have paid as much attention without the fun. Do we need scientific analysis and sensible discussion? Of course. Is this board a good board if we never had fun with the topics? Of course. Should we degenerate into predominantly silliness? Of course not. But I will tell you one thing...I don't know if you noticed it yesterday, but when the damper sort of came down on the subject of GC, the frequency of posting was as low as I can remember it since I joined the board. People were having fun with this...too much fun? I don't think so, but may be. I just hope that when the green turns brown we have something else come along and don't return simply to "What oil and filter should I use in my 04 Goptywagon. It's valid discussion, but, I believe this board means more to most of us than just talking about technical details. I refuse to believe that people come to this board at 4AM or stay up until 2 AM or log on at work and risk the ire of their boss simply so they can talk about what makes up a good ashless detergent-dispersant.
cheers.gif

Why do I feel that the segment about staying up until 4 AM was directed towards me?
wink.gif

Anyhow, tomorow I am initiating a 323i to GC. I'll be sure to take pictures and lots of notes.

GC in a Bavarian Engine. Can there be a more perfect mix?
wink.gif

This is my first post so bear with me
I went to my local Autozone today and found six GC ,bought same. While I was changing my oil the neighbor came over and he decided to give GC a try, we went back to same Autozone and no GC!!
They had USA made ow-30 no a3/b3 no api sl/cf sl only and it is not green. Is this the same oil??

quote:

Originally posted by sciroccoGTX16V:
Both of my TDIs came with green oil from the factory. would that be euro Castrol ?

If they came from Germany then they were probably filled with SLX LongLife II, a version of SLX, also green colored.

Well, I'm too tired right now to say much, so I'll hafta try & jump back in between household projects this weekend.

Patman,
I seriously considered taking you up on your 0W-40 project, but my next interval is going to be a "mixing experiment" for my oil-thrashing turbo. (I'm not sure a turbo engine is the best place to run your test anyway, since it will invariably get compared to oils run in non-turbo engines.) Due to my climate, & the fact that it takes us a full year to get thru a single 10k mi interval, the mix will still be 75% 0W-40.

A turbo would still be good to test out the 0w40 viscosity test simply because things would happen so much faster. You'd see a quicker swing downwards and then a quicker swing upwards in viscosity in your case compared to running it in a N/A engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back