German Castrol 0w-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was looking for this stuff for my mother's car. I can't find it anywhere, there is a site on the internet to order it but the cost is 8.35 a quart. I thought that was a bit much. Anyone have any info?

I was using this oil in our newly acquired Tacoma V6; but haven't been able to locate more either. I don't care to use an oil that becomes almost impossible to find.

So, I switched the truck to Castrol GTX - we'll see how it does on a couple OCI's. I really liked how clean the GC remained in that engine even after 4k miles though, and the engine didn't use a drop of it.

I mainly wanted the GC, because of it being a pure synthetic, and we were gonna try and go with 7-8k OCI's within a truck primarily driven for construction purposes; i.e. sand, dirt, mud, etc

For now, we'll go back to 4k oci's, maybe stretch to 5k depending on what the UOA says.

But, I've always ran my vehicles on dino oil many many of them going well beyond 100k miles without issue, so no biggy. Just keep the oil changed at a decent interval.

Steve S. IMO, your response leaves a bit of information out. I assume you mean just buy any brand of quality oil for mom ans change on a regular basis. I doubt if she will care what type of oil is in the car?? That I agree with
smile.gif

You don't just run any old type of oil in a turbo car!

Follow BMW's weight recommendation and check on which Amsoil would be best for this application.

What is your mothers car? Is it a new BMW 335i with the twin turbos. You do not say.

If so, my recommendation is different. Do what the dealer says. However, change oil at least twice as offen. I am not sure on this car but BMW will only pay for oil changes every 15,000 miles??

Also, I do not believe these cars even have a dipstick but have an electronic oil level monitor. I am sort of old school there.

Well I did graduate the BMW STEP program (Orlando Campus) in December of last year. I have been at the dealer for about 3 months (Critz, Savannah GA). Guys I see so many cars that come in here at 20,000 miles on there first oil change. The customers that do the oil changes when the CBS (Approx 15000 to 18000 miles) is due are usually okay, ie no sludge. But I have seen so that have gone 25,000 miles on their first oil change. The top end is sludge and the oil cap is sludged, but they seem to still run smooth. I wonder what the makeup is on the BMW 5w-30? Seems to be pretty good oil. Russell I already plan on 5000-6000 OCI. The discount on oil at the dealership isn't that great. Thanks.

JTgrant. Thanks for clearing up that it is a BMW. Piece of advice. Be extra clear what you are asking and be specific on the vehicle in question. IMO, your initial question was so generic it was hard to answer.

Quote:

JTgrant. Thanks for clearing up that it is a BMW. Piece of advice. Be extra clear what you are asking and be specific on the vehicle in question. IMO, your initial question was so generic it was hard to answer.

I thought he was very clear. He didn't want advice on what oil to use but he specifically asked where he could buy GC.

Good point. However, the discussion moved away a bit and details would have helped. I just think it is a good idea to consider what the post reader will need to offer assistance. Put yourself in their shoes, so to speak.

Quote:

I was looking for this stuff for my mother's car. I can't find it anywhere, there is a site on the internet to order it but the cost is 8.35 a quart. I thought that was a bit much. Anyone have any info?

Looks like your only other option is to peruse your local AutoZone stores. If no luck there, look in the "Items for Sale" forum here - some people offload their GC stashes once in a while.

I found 10 quarts at Autozone @ 6.19 a quart. It was all GOLD GC. Thanks for the posts everyone, this is really a great site with people that are knowledgeable about oil. IF ANYONE EVER NEEDS SOME INFO ON ANY BMW LET ME KNOW!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back