German Castrol 0W-30 vs Mobil 1 0W-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Patman:

Why would the API care about such an insignificant difference in gas mileage? What is the API's purpose of establishing the "energy conserving" requirement?

quote:

Originally posted by MinnesotaNole:
Patman:

Why would the API care about such an insignificant difference in gas mileage? What is the API's purpose of establishing the "energy conserving" requirement?

Because that tiny little difference in MPG multiplied by millions of vehicles makes a big difference. But to each individual person, it means nothing.

To answer the first question, Mobil 1 0w-40 is more of a comparison then there 0w-30. It's only 2cSt's higher and it has a 3.6 HT/HS rating. Not a bad choice.

Pablo, allow me to speculate as to why there is great interest in this oil. I believe there are two considerations:

1. It looks like it is a synthetic oil (not a Group III pseudo-syn) alternative to Mobil1 that is much thicker in its viscosity range than M1. That's the usual criticism of M1. The Castrol presents an attractive OTC "other choice" that is less on the thin side. (Note that it may contain some Group III oil, but not as its primary constituent.)

2. I appears to be constructed principally of esters which will probably guarantee that it stays in grade. It likely does not have much VI improvers to wear out, thus shearing the grade.

Not thin, stay in grade. I believe that these are the desirable attributes that, if proven in use, will make for some stiff competition for M1. If, that is, Castrol decides to make it more available. Add to this the excellent cleaning ability of ester oil, and this just might be a real winner. Let's wait for more UOAs, and not confuse what we desire with what we know.

MinnesotaNole, please post the lot and production numbers from your oil bottles. See example in post above.

I personally feel that Castrol 0W30 is the "it" oil on the board, it is a new oil that everyone wants to try. If you guys remember a few months back, Mobil 1 0W40 was the hot topic of the board. I would like to see more UOAs of this oil before I pass my judgement on it. -Joe

YZF150,

you might want to send an Email or a PM to new member Asmodeus (or post on his thread). In that thread, "Which Oil to Use Castrol 5W30 or M1 0W40," he said he picked up 11 quarts of German 0W30 in Montreal. It would be interesting to see what his lot number(s) is/are.

[ July 22, 2003, 11:06 PM: Message edited by: pscholte ]

Well, now there's another UOA to see. A new one was just posted. Pretty respectable numbers for a hard-driven engine.

quote:

Originally posted by Pablo:

I'll just shut up and climb back in my cave now.
wink.gif

I hope you are really kidding ,i appreciate your posts.I just hope i could keep my temper sometimes.

Pablo, here are their specs:

Color: Green
Pour Point: -61*C
Flash Point: 238*C
Viscosity @ 40*C: 68.5
Viscosity @ 100*C: 12.1
Viscosity @ 150*C: 5.7
HTHS: 3.6
Cold Cranking Vis @ -30*C: 3200
TBN: 10.6
VI: 179

Status