German Castrol 0w-30 HTHS>3.5??

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.castrol.com/liveassets/bp_internet/castrol/castrol_usa/STAGING/local_assets/downloads/p,q/pds_syntec_usa.pdf
In this PDF it shows HTHS only 2.9. Our PASSAT 1.8TSI require >3.5 VIS.

What's that for new GC? Anyone knew about this stuff?

It's not 2.9, that's a typo and a carry over from when they were listing the CEC L-36-A-87 measurement. With D4683 it has to be >=3.5 by definition of meeting A3/B3. Either way everything on the datasheet below viscosity index is just given as limits of the specs it meets and not actual values for their oils.

Originally Posted By: OilJabber
http://www.castrol.com/liveassets/bp_internet/castrol/castrol_usa/STAGING/local_assets/downloads/p,q/pds_syntec_usa.pdf
In this PDF it shows HTHS only 2.9. Our PASSAT 1.8TSI require >3.5 VIS.

What's that for new GC? Anyone knew about this stuff?

You're reading off of the USA castrol site, which uses the API HTHS number (probably out of laziness).

All of the VW specs require the HTHS to be greater or equal than 3.5, as well as ACEA A3/B4

The 2.9 value simply means that as a 30-weight, it must have a MINIMUM value of 2.9. The real value is 3.5 or better because it carries ACEA A3/B4, as UG Passat said.

Originally Posted By: Hoosier_Daddy
i still find it surprising that GC can have a higher HTHS than Redline's 0w-30 which is only 3.2

GC @ 100C - 12.2 cSt
RL 0w30 @ 100C - 10.9 cSt

GC has a thicker oil to "work with" at 100C on its way to 150C.

Suprised Audi Junkie isn't in here saying that VW-specs & European oil specs are over-rated and would be pushing US Castrol Edge 5w30 which meets ACEA A5, due to a single point of data of his UOA.

Audi Junkie aka Super Hans on the 'tex main has once again declared himself THE END ALL EXPERT of oils.

Euro Edge 5w30 is 504/507 oil in commercial packaging, which is still an appropiate oil to use on the 1.8TSI

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: UG_Passat
Suprised Audi Junkie isn't in here

He hasn't posted on BITOG in months if not a year, unless he uses a different screen name nowadays after getting banned previously.

Yeah, I've seen his oil diatribes there and even thought of responding on occasion, but it never ends well. I'll let someone else get banned over this.
smile.gif

i still find it surprising that GC can have a higher HTHS than Redline's 0w-30 which is only 3.2

Redline 0w30 is formulated for ACEA A5/B5, which the HTHS is 3.5 MAX.

Though it does say VW503.00/VW503.01 -- so maybe I was off on the HTHS requirement for VW spec oils.. 503.00 seems like it's ACEA A5...
however, 503.01 tends to be A3/B4 (with the 3.5 min)

I miss AJ!
coffee2.gif

I knew him as AutoUnion back in the day on Audiworld. I wonder if he still takes his car to his BOSCH mechanic?
19.gif

Back on topic. My local Vatozone still doesn't have the new Edge 0W-30.

Though it does say VW503.00/VW503.01 -- so maybe I was off on the HTHS requirement for VW spec oils.. 503.00 seems like it's ACEA A5...

Lubrizol lists 503.00 as based as A3-98 with an HTHS of less than 3.4. (506.00 and 506.01 specs, the same...)

503.01, A3-98, HTHS greater than 3.51.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
It has been much more pleasant here without him I must say.

I dunno.
I miss his posts.
He seemed one not to tolerate fools glady.
You are the same, Overkill, although you are far more polite about it.
I think this board would benefit from more expeienced members crying "foul" when someone posts something with no backup at all.
I guess it's all a matter of how you do it.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27

I dunno.
I miss his posts.
He seemed one not to tolerate fools glady.
You are the same, Overkill, although you are far more polite about it.
I think this board would benefit from more expeienced members crying "foul" when someone posts something with no backup at all.
I guess it's all a matter of how you do it.

Yes, I am guilty of being a bit of an [censored] at times as well, though I do try to be somewhat polite about it as you've acknowledged. AJ was sarcastic and rude. He also had some sort of personal vendetta against Doug for whatever reason.

But regarding your last point, I agree wholeheartedly. There isn't enough focus on ensuring that the information provided is factual a lot of the time. I mean, if I'm posting something that is just personal experience.... I will say so. I feel obligated to do this, and will list (in detail) my reasons for why I'm doing what and the like so that whoever is reading my post understands my logic, or can question it if they feel it needs to be questioned. This opens the door for discussion, which is a lot more productive than somebody just posting some "absolute" with nothing to back it up.

As one who subject to his "expert opinions",I agree. And with the above post as well.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BobFout

Lubrizol lists 503.00 as based as A3-98 with an HTHS of less than 3.4. (506.00 and 506.01 specs, the same...)

503.01, A3-98, HTHS greater than 3.51.

Wait, so how can it be 503.00 and 503.01 at the same time?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back