Genuine Toyota motor oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought a 2003 Toyota Tundra and in the manual they recommend that you use geniune Toyota motor oil. This stuff is 2.49 a quart at the dealer. Anyone know who makes this oil? I bought a Toyota oil filter for 7.28 at the dealer, who makes these and where can I get a better price on filters? While at Walmart today I went to the automotive dept to check on motor oils.Out of all the oil that they have only two kinds say that they meet Japanese wear tests. Those oils are Valvoline and Castrol.Do they other oils not meet this wear test? Advice please. Thanks, Dennis

Dennis,
Good choice on the truck.
There are two oil filters for the 4.7 $7.00 and the $3-4 variety.
I'll do some looking for # and either post or PM
you tomorrow.
Plus there is a good Tundra club site I will give you.
I hate to make you wait but my sleeping pills are kicking in
frown.gif

RichR

Nothing special about Toyota brand oil--except the label and the price!

Toyota ATF for your 2003 is special--use only Toyota T-IV ATF. I also use Toyota antifreeze...the price is high, but amoritzed over two years is OK, and might make a long-term difference.

Toyota filters are made by Denso. The original filter on your truck is the 90915-20004. The replacement is the 90915-YBBZ5. The -20004 has slightly more filter capacity and a better internal bypass valve. I buy them by the case of 10 for about $6.50 each. Many Toyota dealers don't stock them, but some Toyota dealers, and Lexus dealers, do stock them, and some will dicker on price. For an aftermarket filter, you can use any quality brand...there seems to be no consensus favorite.

I hope you enjoy your Tundra as much as I like mine.

Ken

[ October 14, 2003, 02:00 PM: Message edited by: Ken2 ]

Some Toyota oil filters use depth type media, and are identical to Purolators in construction except for the media. They look very restrictive to flow, and are overpriced crap if you ask me. Just stick with Napa Gold or regular purolator premium plus.

Nice screen name by the way. Can't go wrong with Sig
grin.gif

Regardless of the word "genuine", you can bet your last buck it's refined, blended, and bottled in the U.S. if it's sold in the U.S. (How many Toyota, Honda, Nissan, Ford, G.M., etc. oil derricks, refineries, and blending/bottling plants have you come across whle driving around?) As for popular motor oil brands being unsuitable for ANY Toyota, baloney. Every one I've read the crap on the backs of state something along the line of, "Meets or exceeds North American warranty requirements for domestic and foreign car manufacturers' gasoline engines in passenger cars and light trucks including fuel injected and turbocharged, where API Service SL, SJ or ILSAC GF-3 oils are specified." And this a direct quote off a bottle of SuperTech!!! Unless your owner's manual specifies a unique performance requirement for motor oil beyond SL/GF-3, you're worrying needlessly. I'm not advising use of any particular brand, but get a grip. By the way, the current ILSAC "GF" and API "S" service designations already involve successfully passing the current Japanese manufacturer valvetrain wear test sequence as well as several various American and European vehicle manufacturer specified sequences for other wear and performance parameters whether the bottles state them separately or not.

[ October 14, 2003, 12:20 PM: Message edited by: Ray H ]

Don't buy that overpriced, nothing special oil. Its just a sales gimmick. Some suggestions listed below.

Dino oils: Chevron or Castrol.
Semi synthetic: Schaeffers
Fully synthetic: Mobil1, Amsoil, or Redline.
Use the recommended weight.

Filters: go to the favorite links section and look for the discount Toyota dealer I posted there. They have great prices even after the shipping cost.

Nice truck, btw. Hopefully that will be my next truck when the time comes. Gotta wear out this Toyota first so it might be a while
grin.gif

[ October 14, 2003, 12:45 PM: Message edited by: Toy4x4 ]

quote:

Originally posted by Steve S:
Ask the parts department for a discount the dealer I shop at does or shop elsewhere.

Yup, even if they are on sale often I get a little extra savings or a free hat or someting because I usually buy say 11 Air filters and 12 oil filters and or several boxes of plugs (no use NGK coppers)and if they wont I'll walk out, some places give better discounts than others, one here gives a 10% just for having 100K.
There is also a great wholesale place on the web located in Dallas, and they are open m-f 7-12midnight and part on Sat., things like hoses can save 40-50% other parts 50-60% some more others less, but very good and prompt and professional.
Pure one is good and the Napa Wix is good too...

Perhaps you should buy and change Six OEM, Six Napa, Six Wix standard, and Six Wix Gold, Six Pure One's, and pick one other... that's 30 I think and 30*3-4K is 100K, sounds like a nice study/hoby to me to see through UOA's if they will have an bering, but to be sure, you better pick only one oil for this 100K test, okay...
[-:

quote:

Originally posted by Ken2:

I buy them by the case of 10 for about $6.50 each. Many Toyota dealers don't stock them, but some Toyota dealers, and Lexus dealers, do stock them, and some will dicker on price.

Where to you buy them at this price, since I am in WA also.

CRW

[ October 15, 2003, 09:17 PM: Message edited by: Christopher R. Wise ]

quote:

Originally posted by Drew99GT:
Some Toyota oil filters use depth type media, and are identical to Purolators in construction except for the media. They look very restrictive to flow, and are overpriced crap if you ask me. Just stick with Napa Gold or regular purolator premium plus.

"They look very restrictive to flow, and are overpriced crap...."

Disagree.

Ken

I use the Toyota filter and Mobil 1 5w30, use synthetics though out the drive line. 95 Landcruiser with 130K miles. Really a quality machine. Give it the best and your Tundra will last a long time.

I use the Toyota filter and Mobil 1 5w30, use synthetics though out the drive line. 95 Landcruiser with 130K miles. Really a quality machine. Give it the best and your Tundra will last a long time.

Thanks for all the replies and advice. This is a cool site. I really like the Tundra,it is very well made and the engine is awesome. It's my first Toyota, I went from a 97 F150 to this. I do have the F150 for sale if anyone is interested. Email me for more details. Thanks again, Dennis.
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back