Genuine Toyota A3 filter - looking very orange

Good afternoon,

I picked up an A3 oil filter for my GS450H from the dealership. Here are some pics. I don't remember these being so orange, previously they were a light shade of yellow. Since I got it from the dealer, I'm not doubting the quality or whether its genuine, but if I had bought it online, I'd be concerned.

The box (the lid had no glue, I don't remember if these normally do?)

1690556907412.jpg
1690556955457.jpg
1690556933637.jpg
1690556926101.jpg
1690556915103.jpg
1690556994648.jpg
1690556988148.jpg
1690557077119.jpg
1690557091998.jpg

For comparison, here is a photo I took at the previous oil change. On the right is the genuine A3 filter from the same dealership. Note the difference in colour.

Ignore the filter on the left, that's a Mann filter for our Yaris (A7 Toyota filter)

1690557289139.jpg

Orange indeed it is.
For all the fine energy and thoughtfulness involved with examining and autopsying filters, the one glaring absence is knowledge of what the various media are made from.

If they have oil filter media, the efficiencies of which are measurable in percentages at 10-20 micron levels, why are lousy filters made at all?
I know, I know, they're cheaper. But still, why all the mystery?
Maybe that industry is more susceptible to espionage and copying?

Haha, nice one. I knew I'd get yet further reassurance by asking on here.

A quick google reveals a Youtube comment with some useful info on the bulletin code:

@MrMagichobo21

12 days ago
They are not counterfeit.
TOYOTA issued a PANT (Parts and Accessory News Today) Bulletin 2023-003 on January 13th. It states "there has been a spec change" and that they are "utilizing a new material, resulting in a physical paper color change"

Affected PN's:04152-YZZA1, YZZA3, YZZA4, YZZA5, YZZA6, YZZA7

It also states "Although the new filter material has changed, the current filter continues to meet Toyota's strict performance standards. You may receive a filter with the original material as we work through existing inventory"After asking our parts manager (I am a dealer tech) about the change he said the change most likely happened due to factors outside Toyota's control, at the vendor/ supplier level in the manufacturing chain, and there was not enough of a difference to justify updating the part numbers.I agree they do look like the aftermarket filters which have always been that orange color. I wonder if Toyota changed suppliers and now uses the same source for filter paper as the aftermarket ones always have? Either way, I'm sure their filtering performance is adequate and they're still valid for warranty purposes so I wouldn't be concerned about the color change.If you really want to, try ordering PN 04152-31110 instead of 04152-YZZA1. I believe that is the part number for the factory installed part. Oil filters, engine air filters, cabin filters, wipers, brake pads and some other parts have different part numbers for the ones installed at the factory vs the "market-value-priced" parts indicated by a YZZ as the first 3 digits of the second half of the part number.

source:

I have several vanilla colored Toyletta filters on the shelf. Not sure if that's good or bad... I swap 'em every other 5K service.

Toyota published a specific TSB for the filter media color change. I'm too lazy to google for it. Good observation of you to notice, but its a non issue.
Yes:

Orange indeed it is.
For all the fine energy and thoughtfulness involved with examining and autopsying filters, the one glaring absence is knowledge of what the various media are made from.

If they have oil filter media, the efficiencies of which are measurable in percentages at 10-20 micron levels, why are lousy filters made at all?
I know, I know, they're cheaper. But still, why all the mystery?
Maybe that industry is more susceptible to espionage and copying?
I mean, I have a thread on the different media types 🤷

Yeah they changed to orange it was probably at the beginning of the year. We have all orange now at the dealership except the A3 because those are rarely sold and the A6 because our dealership has a ton of A6 in storage. The A3 is the same thing as an A5 just cheaper because it only has one O-Ring so it’s like a buck or two less than an A5 at the counter it also doesn’t have the plastic drain piece either so that’s why it’s cheaper. I’ve never seen or used an A7 filter. You must have a very old Yaris.

Yeah they changed to orange it was probably at the beginning of the year. We have all orange now at the dealership except the A3 because those are rarely sold and the A6 because our dealership has a ton of A6 in storage. The A3 is the same thing as an A5 just cheaper because it only has one O-Ring so it’s like a buck or two less than an A5 at the counter it also doesn’t have the plastic drain piece either so that’s why it’s cheaper. I’ve never seen or used an A7 filter. You must have a very old Yaris.
Wait, so what filter do you guys put into the 2GR-FE, A5? Mine is a 2GR-FSE. I realised that all the aftermarket filters for my car come with the plastic drain and the second o-ring.
You probably haven't seen an A7 filter because you probably don't get the 1NR-FE in North Amerika market. Ours is a 2012 Yaris for the euro market. This engine also has the plastic drain and 2 o-rings type of oil filter. Tbh, you are better off without this engine, the 1NZ-FE and 2NZ-FE in the older Yaris that we had were bulletproof engines, decent power and economy.

Wait, so what filter do you guys put into the 2GR-FE, A5? Mine is a 2GR-FSE. I realised that all the aftermarket filters for my car come with the plastic drain and the second o-ring.
You probably haven't seen an A7 filter because you probably don't get the 1NR-FE in North Amerika market. Ours is a 2012 Yaris for the euro market. This engine also has the plastic drain and 2 o-rings type of oil filter. Tbh, you are better off without this engine, the 1NZ-FE and 2NZ-FE in the older Yaris that we had were bulletproof engines, decent power and economy.
We use the A1 here in America in that engine. The only thing we work on regularly that takes an A5 is the 2010 and up 4Runner. We rarely ever see Lexus at my dealership but when we do I have used an A3 a few times for certain models but they mostly sit in the dust with the F1 and S1 filters.

We use the A1 here in America in that engine. The only thing we work on regularly that takes an A5 is the 2010 and up 4Runner. We rarely ever see Lexus at my dealership but when we do I have used an A3 a few times for certain models but they mostly sit in the dust with the F1 and S1 filters.
That's cool, maybe I'll try to get an A1 at the next change for lols.

Btw, how do you get to know these codes for the filters, the diagrams never seem to include them?
1690588388993.jpg

That's cool, maybe I'll try to get an A1 at the next change for lols.

Btw, how do you get to know these codes for the filters, the diagrams never seem to include them?
View attachment 169330
At work we have a sheet telling us every oil filter for Toyota 2006 and up. Anything older we just look up if we don’t know. I work at a Toyota dealership so after awhile I memorized what goes in what haha. I’m finding lots of old stock obsolete old Toyota oil filters on eBay. I’m honestly thinking of buying some just for my collection. Stuff like the E2, A2 etc. All of which I’ve never used before or seen in person.

The new Toyota filter color matches the color of the Denso filters I bought about a year ago. Of all the different filters I have used in my Highlander the only ones that don't come out looking "crushed" or "twisted" are the Toyota and Denso filters. I have a Hengst filter I am going to use on the next oil change. Will be interesting to see how it looks when it comes out. As others have noted, I am pretty sure the other filters (Wix, Fram, Purolater, Super Tech, ect) are slightly longer than the Toyota, Denso filters thus resulting in the "crushed" appearance.

... Of all the different filters I have used in my Highlander the only ones that don't come out looking "crushed" or "twisted" are the Toyota and Denso filters. ... As others have noted, I am pretty sure the other filters (Wix, Fram, Purolater, Super Tech, ect) are slightly longer than the Toyota, Denso filters thus resulting in the "crushed" appearance.
The Purolator and Fram cartridges I've used matched the length of the Toyota one closely, and none of them "came out looking 'crushed' or 'twisted'." Within a reasonably wide tolerance range, the cartridge length isn't critical, because of the range of motion of the spring-loaded plate that presses against the end of the filter.

Back