Genmax Inverter, 240v 5,500w for 1k on amazon

I see the name and color scheme are trying to play off of Generac reputation (for better or worse)... No harm, no foul, Generac's cheaper units are made by the same offshore outfits as the no-name brands.

If it has vents of any kind on the bottom it would not be a good idea to sit it in grass in actual use. That would restrict air movement and reduce cooling. If it were designed properly that would only cause it to shut down if it approached over-heating. But if not designed to monitor that posable problem it could cause perinate damage and loss of ability to make power.

Proper air-cooling air flow is a very important consideration with generators.

Agreed, never seen an inverter before with 240. But, 5.5kw on an inverter might not be able to handle too many things that ask for 240. Hvac could be a challenge, could handle hot water (though it will be expensive hot water). I think if the heavy hitters are truly needed, a traditional genset might be the better way to go, unless it was a known robust electronics package.

Typically inverter generators only spin the engine fast enough to supply the power needed at the moment. they idle down under light loads and speed up under higher loads. This Genmax unit is not doing that.
Flip through the video. In every shot of the generator, it sounds like it is running at the same RPM. Even the stickers on the unit say 3600 RPM. When the AC unit in the guy's RV kicks on, the engine speed does not change. It seems that this generator is really just a quiet version of a construction generator.

I guess the benefit of this unit is the noise reduction. I don't see this saving very much on fuel.

Typically inverter generators only spin the engine fast enough to supply the power needed at the moment. they idle down under light loads and speed up under higher loads. This Genmax unit is not doing that.
Flip through the video. In every shot of the generator, it sounds like it is running at the same RPM. Even the stickers on the unit say 3600 RPM. When the AC unit in the guy's RV kicks on, the engine speed does not change. It seems that this generator is really just a quiet version of a construction generator.

I guess the benefit of this unit is the noise reduction. I don't see this saving very much on fuel.
????????????????

8:00 and 12:45:rolleyes:

If you look at 4:44 in the video the thing clearly has an Eco mode switch. I don't know, but it may be possible that it was tested with Eco mode off. In that case it would run continuously at 3600 RPM. That's my theory...

If you look at 4:44 in the video the thing clearly has an Eco mode switch. I don't know, but it may be possible that it was tested with Eco mode off. In that case it would run continuously at 3600 RPM. That's my theory...
Maybe.
I did miss at 8:00 where he tested eco mode on/off and it did rev up and down.

Back