Generator use and CO detector

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: volk06
How do you like the ventless heater? I've been thinking of getting one for my garage to help heat it in the winter. I just want it at a constant 45F, It maintains 30F just from the heat of the vehicle engines. I'd probably run it off of a propane 35lb propane cylinder or id have to run a natural gas line.

That small a cylinder may not work given the vaporization rates.

My 20k btu has a low setting of 8500 btu, it is then continuously variable up to the 20k btus. Propane is 4.2 lbs per gallon, 91333 btus per gallon.

You can get the smaller heater for a garage. I also have a 5k Nat Gas IR one that is just on and off.

Originally Posted By: Donald
How do you like the ventless heater? I've been thinking of getting one for my garage to help heat it in the winter. I just want it at a constant 45F, It maintains 30F just from the heat of the vehicle engines. I'd probably run it off of a propane 35lb propane cylinder or id have to run a natural gas line.

Theres a few I've been looking at that can use 2 20lb cylinder or a 35lb one.

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
Beware of gasoline fumes is what the post should have said. And propane is 91333 btus a gallon.

Actually gasoline doesn't give off fumes, it gives off vapors.

Beware of gasoline fumes is what the post should have said. And propane is 91333 btus a gallon.

Get a life

fume (fym)
n.
1. Vapor, gas, or smoke, especially if irritating, harmful, or strong.

Get a life

fume (fym)
n.
1. Vapor, gas, or smoke, especially if irritating, harmful, or strong.

Get your panties out of a bunch.

I deal with these chemicals and gases you're talking about on a daily basis so it IS my work life.

http://www.whatisdifferencebetween.com/s...-and-smoke.html

Just like how liquids don't burn, its the vapors that burn. Fumes, is a very generic term but the technical definition for scientific purposes is different than just an irritant to human. Like welding fumes, they are solid particulates not vapors.

Fume - Airborne particulate formed by the evaporation of solid materials, e.g. metal fume emitted during welding. Usually less than one micron in diameter.

Vapor -The gaseous form of substances that are normally in the solid or liquid state (at room temperature and pressure). The vapor can be changed back to the solid or liquid state either by increasing the pressure or decreasing the temperature alone. Vapors also diffuse.

35.gif

Originally Posted By: Keith_Stone
35.gif

I'm with you Kieth. Hard to argue with such expertise.

Looks like someone has an ego problem when proven wrong. After all your the one who told me to get a life. Glad you learned something! If I'm wrong, please show me from a reliable source. Good Day

You can choose the dictionary of your choice and look up fume. It will have vapor in the description like I posted.

You can choose the dictionary of your choice and look up fume. It will have vapor in the description like I posted.

Because dictionary companies are veryyy scientific and have scientists write their dictionaries. You can look up synthetic motor oil and PP, QSGB, Kendall, and other full synthetics but Group III is not actually a synthetic oil for technical purposes. Same thing applies to this. A dictionary is not a scientific source.

If you do not want to agree that is fine, believe what you will, I'll agree to disagree because I'm not going to argue with a fellow BITOG'r over this anymore.

Who has such an ego they can't accept a dictionary's definition of a word? I don't know what else to use when it comes to what a word means.

Who has such an ego they can't accept a dictionary's definition of a word? I don't know what else to use when it comes to what a word means.

I could bore you with some in-depth industrial hygiene and explain the differences but I'm not going to waste my time.

I like pie!

mmmmm pie... Apple pie!

I could bore you with some in-depth industrial hygiene and explain the differences but I'm not going to waste my time.

I like pie!

mmmmm pie... Apple pie!

Go ahead.

Originally Posted By: Donald

Theres a few I've been looking at that can use 2 20lb cylinder or a 35lb one.

You need to find some charts for vaporization rates for propane in various tank sizes and temps. Hose size and length along with regulator also come into play.

I would go with a 100 lb tank. Its manageable to bring it and get it filled.

I just don't get this particular conversastion. CO is very poisonous will kill you in very small amounts. CO2 is not poisonous (but can be dangerous large concentrations) and I think is more seldom a killer, so if you feel theres a risk of CO2 poisoning and warning system, BY GOD, get a CO warning system first!!!
And: Don't trust warning systems. Design your stuff safely first. Make sure that any genset is properly separate from your house and that any kind of furnace is properly installed.

Problem is that if you have an engine normally producing mainly co2 running outdoors, moving it indoors will cause the engine to
1. Quickly use up most oxygen in the room while happily producing CO2
2. Then, with less oxygen available, it will start producing CO like in a WW2 gas chamber. Uses up all air in a house quickly, just calculate displacement x rpm and there you see.
3. A couple of breaths later you will not be able to survive, even if you go outside. Your blood is occupied with CO instead of oxygen.

In fact an older couple died sleeping here this winter because they put a 2kw genset -running in the basement-. They were killed upstairs in a few hours because the genset basically filled the house with CO from below. Not a CO2 problem, but a CO-problem!

Do you worry about gas stoves and cook tops in a house? I know CO is a killer but gas appliances are generally so efficient the only pollutants are water and CO2. This isn't an internal combustion motor running on gasoline.

I'm sorry I even brought it up......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back