Generator shutdown question

That's what I'm thinking. When the gen starts slowing down, it struggles to provide the watts/voltage. Only way to make up for volts is amps and that increases the heat in the windings, etc. Seems like if it was damaging they would have the OL cutout tied in such a way as to unload itself? Or low rpm cut out?

My Generac is propane fueled and hard wired to my main electrical panel. When the power goes out it automatically starts up and when it senses the power has been restored it shuts down. In any of those cases there is some load present, with the possibility of the furnace or AC unit running. Otherwise the load is probably small from my energy efficient appliances and LED lighting throughout the house.

So I assume that the Generac has some kind of circuitry to handle the load situation when it cycles. It may be quite different though for inexpensive emergency gasoline generators so I'd probably contact the manufacturer for guidance.
Your generac doesn't close the feed breaker until it has been up to speed for 10 seconds.

Back