Generator shutdown question

Most gens say to unload them before shutting down. I'm sure many have run out of gas while fully loaded even with the best intentions. Other than timers, watching the gauge, etc does anyone have a better idea?

Most gens say to unload them before shutting down. I'm sure many have run out of gas while fully loaded even with the best intentions. Other than timers, watching the gauge, etc does anyone have a better idea?
Does Unload mean unplugging appliances etc. before turning off the Generator ?

I’ve seen bigger ones send power & frequency fluctuations out the line if it runs out-anything with a board in it can get a fried board if it happens (loads too big for an inverter generator).

When we ran mine after Katrina I just fueled it up and set my watch to alarm in 5 hours. I would shut down, refuel and repeat.

Letting it run for a bit with no load will let it cool down a little too, instead of it shutting off maximum hot and sitting there cooking with no airflow.

I'm sure there are enough generators out there, especially in "hurricane country", where power can be out for days on end, and generators run 24/7. Where all but countless generators have run out of fuel under a load at one time or another.

While no one does this intentionally, it happens often enough to where if it was that damaging to the unit, you would be hearing a lot more about it.

With that said, it goes without saying that you should try to avoid it as much as you possibly can. But if it does happen, don't have a heart attack over it.

I would believe a compressor from a refridgerator or any other compressor driven device, which might be running at the time of shutdown would be the biggest item possibly being damaged.

"Brownouts" eat up start/run capacitors, which is what you're doing when the gen runs out of fuel under load. Most appliances have a low voltage shutoff around 105V, but as the 120V your gen was supplying starts to fall due to running out of fuel, that run capacitor is trying to make up the difference.

My Generac is propane fueled and hard wired to my main electrical panel. When the power goes out it automatically starts up and when it senses the power has been restored it shuts down. In any of those cases there is some load present, with the possibility of the furnace or AC unit running. Otherwise the load is probably small from my energy efficient appliances and LED lighting throughout the house.

So I assume that the Generac has some kind of circuitry to handle the load situation when it cycles. It may be quite different though for inexpensive emergency gasoline generators so I'd probably contact the manufacturer for guidance.

My Generac is propane fueled and hard wired to my main electrical panel. When the power goes out it automatically starts up and when it senses the power has been restored it shuts down. In any of those cases there is some load present, with the possibility of the furnace or AC unit running. Otherwise the load is probably small from my energy efficient appliances and LED lighting throughout the house.

So I assume that the Generac has some kind of circuitry to handle the load situation when it cycles. It may be quite different though for inexpensive emergency gasoline generators so I'd probably contact the manufacturer for guidance.
No doubt your generator transfers at full rpm . Different situation .

I just have gotten use to how long my generator goes with my RV. I can make it all night on a tank so I don't worry too much about it. Some of the newer ones have Bluetooth gauges if you look.

I think the danger is to the items plugged in and the surging more than the generator to be honest.

Just my $0.02

I think the danger is to the items plugged in and the surging more than the generator to be honest.
I don't think it's that big of a deal. There are a lot of people in this country who live off of very undependable electrical grids. They face power failures and brownouts on an almost regular basis. I don't think they buy any more air conditioners and refrigerators than anyone else.

I just have gotten use to how long my generator goes with my RV. I can make it all night on a tank so I don't worry too much about it. Some of the newer ones have Bluetooth gauges if you look.

Just my $0.02

There is danger to both - if you kill a genset under load you can damage the stator/ windings.

Back