Help!

Briggs and Stratton Generator engine…

Has clean carburetor.

Has compression and spark.

Is full of oil.

Flywheel key is intact.

All old gas was removed (ALL).

New, treated gas put in

Valves appear to be intact. Rockers are in place. Nothing looks bent.

If you pull on the rope enough (after spraying a small amount of carb cleaner into engine) it belches fire from carb.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

You didn't say clean air filter.

If it was ne, I would get a new carb off of ebay or amazon.
They are really cheap and way better than trying to clean or rebuild one.

Last edited:
Sounds like the intake valve isn't seating fully...??

It could be the ignition system is toast... though not likely.

Originally Posted by KJSmith
You didn't say clean air filter.

It's a generator - - - they usually have nothing in the air filter.

Give it a bigger shot of carb & choke cleaner - it should fire right off and keep running if you spray it into the intake in bursts,

Air cleaner wasn't on when I was trying to start it. I wonder if something slipped inside the engine. Thanks for the reply.

Did you have it apart? If you did could the timing of the cam now be off from improper assembly?

Also how many hours are on it? If it has a very high number of hours could something have jumped a few teath and ended up with the cam no longer in proper time?

Carb looks clean or is clean.
That unit looks like it sat for a while.
Lot's of dirt everywhere.
Clean or cleaned.

You can't say the carb is clean, unless you have disassembled it completely and run a stylet though every jet and orifice, and removed and reinstalled the float and needle.

Like CT8 said, check the operation of the oil safety switch. You can bypass it. Basically, it grounds out the ignition if it decides the oil is too low. I had to replace mine and that brought it back to life.

I went through every step of cleaning. Funny thing. I couldn't start it last night, but today I pulled it once and it acted like it was VERY flooded, but kept trying until it cleared up and ran right. A sticky valve perhaps that loosened up over that last 24 hours. Go figure. A little thing I like to call 'Immaculate Combustion'. It's a little noisy. I'll post a video showing it start up later.

Originally Posted by yeehaw1960
... A little thing I like to call 'Immaculate Combustion'. It's a little noisy. I'll post a video showing it start up later.

Been there! Glad you got it going. You'd think If the intake valve hung open, you'd feel it right away when pull starting. I wonder if the low oil level switch is funky. No matter at the moment!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back