Generator choke problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kestas

Staff member
Last weekend I had to dig out my generator for the power outage. It's a Homelite LR-4400. It started up right from the get-go and ran fine, but the moment I set the choke from "start" to "run" it would stall out. So I ran the 20 to 30 hours I needed in the full choke position. Even warmed up it would stall out if I moved it toward "run."

This unit was used only once before - during the great eastern blackout of 2003. So this unit is rather new and untouched (untweaked), except for the break-in oil change, and stored indoors in a dry basement. What could have gone wrong during the 11 years it sat? It seems I should be able to set it in the "run" position while running.

Try putting a few ounces of Berrymans Chemtool in the gas then start it, run it for 10 min then shut it off. Let it sit overnight before trying it again.

Based on a quick "Google", it's got a Briggs flat-head on it? Sounds like it's got a plugged jet. It may or may not be cleanable depending on corrosion, etc. Sometimes that little bit of fuel left in the bowl can cause issues over time.

Yes, it's a Briggs and Stratton. I've got the carburator out, ready for 20X inspection and ultrasonic cleaning at work. I hope I find the problem.

I have small .014 inch stylets that i use to clean some of those jets/venturi holes. If some of you want a few i can mail them.

After you get it working good again, empty the fuel, and spray WD-40 on all the ports in the carburetor before you put it away, and it should be good the next time you need it.

Last edited:
If you can't get it to work check EBAY or Amazon or even small OPE sites. I think the carbs for B&S engines can be had cheaply. After you get it working it's a good idea to run it every 4-6 months with a load for 20-30 minutes to keep the gas from gumming things up plus it exercises the generator to make sure it'll produce power the next time you need it. 11 years is a long time to let it sit unused.

Whimsey

Originally Posted By: Kestas
Yes, it's a Briggs and Stratton. I've got the carburator out, ready for 20X inspection and ultrasonic cleaning at work. I hope I find the problem.

Compressed air works well to clean the jets. You'll be surprised at the amount of junk that comes out when you shoot some compressed air through those jets.

If I don't want to take the carb apart on a machine I'm looking to flip, I first try to use either Chemtool, Seafoam or Amsoil Quickshot that I keep mixed in all the fuel cans at all times. My 4 stroke cans get either Chemtool or Seafoam and my 2 stroke can gets Quickshot.

Fixed. When I took the carburator apart, it was rather clean with the exception of deposits in the main venturi tube. I estimate the venturi diameter was reduced by approximately 20%. I gave the whole carburator a good ultrasonic clenaing. The unit now runs well and the choke behaves as expected.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back