Generac pressure washer

I have a Generac with XC390 and Cat 6DX pump. 4.0 gpm and 3500 psi. Very low usage for personal residence and is 10 years old. All oils and fluids are at appropriate levels. Motor runs great. Gauge shows 3500 psi and no issues when the handle isn’t squeezed. Once you squeeze the handle the engine really gets dragged down! Pressure drops to 2000 psi with a 25 degree tip. The motor is really working hard! Any ideas what might be happening?

Air cleaner is new and clean. Choke is off. It runs perfectly when the handle isn’t squeezed requiring the pump to move water.

you dont always get max gpm and max psi.

what psi is it with 0degree tip.

my 40 degree tip runs 1600 psi.

Now I’m thinking the gov may not be working correctly? I’ll have to look at that tomorrow.

I haven’t tried that tip yet. I’ll try it tomorrow. The green tip runs at 2000 psi. The yellow tip runs about 1600 psi. Without the trigger pressed it reads 3500.

you dont always get max gpm and max psi.

what psi is it with 0degree tip.

my 40 degree tip runs 1600 psi.
That’s what I want to know what psi with 0degree tip. The engine should be grunting when you are running that tip.

I went out this morning and found the problem. The governor rod was jammed on the plastic fitting at the carburetor. I pulled it out and reinstalled and now all is good. 0-25 degree tips stay right at 3000 psi now. Thank You for the replies! I appreciate the help!

A little late here, but was going to recommend governor. I bought a used Honda power washer 3300 psi off of market place & it would scream super high when you would let the trigger go and then go to normal RPMs under a load. I was honestly afraid the Honda motor was gonna self grenade 😂

The governor had too much resistance and it wasn’t correcting the throttle load.

Super simple fix for you also!

Happy power washing!

Back