Gen 3 EcoDiesel - Proper oil spec?

So yes, after 18 months we've finally discovered that the MS-12991 spec is in fact THE proper spec that Stellantis is using for the Gen 3 EcoDiesel engine.

The least expensive oil I've found to date that has this spec on the bottle is the Quaker State Ultimate Durability European 5W40, which is available right on the shelf at Walmart for $3.79/quart (5 quart jug).

The Ram owners manuals have been updated with the proper information for 2020+ model years, and the Shell Rotella mention has been removed.

Dpfs have been fine on standard diesel rotella 15w40 on up to t6 5w40 since 2007 for Ram. And now the ms12991 stuff on the new ones. So perhaps they either don’t know or don’t care about the saps level and dpf concerns
Some manufacturers are more concerned with protecting the DPF than the engine. Maybe Chrysler is more concerned about the engine imploding?

So yes, after 18 months we've finally discovered that the MS-12991 spec is in fact THE proper spec that Stellantis is using for the Gen 3 EcoDiesel engine.

The least expensive oil I've found to date that has this spec on the bottle is the Quaker State Ultimate Durability European 5W40, which is available right on the shelf at Walmart for $3.79/quart (5 quart jug).

The Ram owners manuals have been updated with the proper information for 2020+ model years, and the Shell Rotella mention has been removed.
Is that a medium or low SAPS oil??

Low SAPS... SA
Wait, what? QS Euro 5w-40 is an ACEA A3/B4 oil; SA ≤ 1.0 and ≤ 1.6. That's not even a mid-SAPS, that's like a full SAPS.

I find it interesting that the MS-12991 is an ACEA A3/B4 oil with full SAPS. Seems like an odd choice given the DPF. In 2016 FCA first went to the MS-11106 which was an ACEA C3 oil (mid SAPS) (Ravenol VMO has a 5w-40 with that MS spec) but later changed to CJ-4 which was a full SAPS.

Most light-duty diesels are mid-SAPS and so the ACEA C3 in a 5w-40 viscosity would maybe be a better way to go, but I read many and know my folks for one have been using Rotella T6 (CK-4) for tens of thousands of miles with no issues. JLR calls for an ACEA C1 SAPS in their Ford Lion V6 diesels but I run an ACEA C3 with a good diesel additive and think (or better yet, disclaim) that it will be just fine.

Wait, what? QS Euro 5w-40 is an ACEA A3/B4 oil; SA ≤ 1.0 and ≤ 1.6. That's not even a mid-SAPS, that's like a full SAPS.

I find it interesting that the MS-12991 is an ACEA A3/B4 oil with full SAPS. Seems like an odd choice given the DPF. In 2016 FCA first went to the MS-11106 which was an ACEA C3 oil (mid SAPS) (Ravenol VMO has a 5w-40 with that MS spec) but later changed to CJ-4 which was a full SAPS.

Most light-duty diesels are mid-SAPS and so the ACEA C3 in a 5w-40 viscosity would maybe be a better way to go, but I read many and know my folks for one have been using Rotella T6 (CK-4) for tens of thousands of miles with no issues. JLR calls for an ACEA C1 SAPS in their Ford Lion V6 diesels but I run an ACEA C3 with a good diesel additive and think (or better yet, disclaim) that it will be just fine.

I've pulled data sheets on a lot of these MS-12991 oils and all of them so far have been 1.1 or less on the SAPS. To me that's not a high SAPS oil. Probably low to mid SAPS at worst.

Back