Gen 1 Ecoboost 3.5 Potential Oil Issue While Towing

I think they came out with a new part number for that phaser, if you get a chance ask the dealer. If there is a new part number available ask them to use it (Ford still advises to use old part # until existing units are gone). Check out this vid:

can you put a thicker oil in the engine? the tolerances are awfully tight...and the many OHC setup puts a huge strain on cold pumping startup to get oil up top...

that being said, most of my experience with P0019 and the like has been with GM 3.6VVT's. What the code is saying is that he cannot correlate the position, not that they are out of position. cheap bux is change the sensor. when really really hot the oil is much thinner and flows a lot more - but you need absolute pressure to operate the phasers...

can you put a thicker oil in the engine? the tolerances are awfully tight...and the many OHC setup puts a huge strain on cold pumping startup to get oil up top...

that being said, most of my experience with P0019 and the like has been with GM 3.6VVT's. What the code is saying is that he cannot correlate the position, not that they are out of position. cheap bux is change the sensor. when really really hot the oil is much thinner and flows a lot more - but you need absolute pressure to operate the phasers...
Thanks, that's basically what the shop tech said. Under heavy load oil may be thinning. I bought some Edge 5W-40 for testing. Waiting till tax season is over for a trial run.

In case anyone searches...water pump was failing. Engine temps were getting elevated while towing and the turbo was probably dumping hot oil back into the heads. I haven't towed over 50 miles since replacing the water pump, but it seems the mechanic may have been right about the oil going out of spec because of excessive heat. Figured I would leave this here in case anyone had a similar issue.

Back