Ford 3.5 Ecoboost disaster!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by clinebarger
I just remove the Throttle Body to CAC Tube, The Air Filter Housing Tube, & Drop the Lower Turbo to CAC Tube off the CAC side only......And work around the rest.
I never replace those O-rings.....A thin coat of Hylomar M will prevent any seepage!

^^Same^^

^^ and Same ^^

Turbo trucks don't intimidate me.
Book time to do a Radiator swap on a 6.7 Powerstroke F450 is about 8 hours, & I can do it in 5.
Don't let the little details like those clamps kill your time. Sometimes you need to invent a new solution.

Originally Posted by 4WD
Yep … took a beating trading in our $50k 2015 Explorer when I realized it would not grow old gracefully … decided to get something where there is room for an arm and a wrench or two …

Keep those wounds clean …

and what did you get to replace it?

Originally Posted by Chris142
He has been there since 7 for a 3 hr job. Tore my arms up from my shoulders down on sharp objects on those tubes that I can't get out of the way. I'm bleeding all over the trucks front..

Reminds me of the times I used to change out suspensions. Combining dirt+oil with blood couldn't be good for me.

I hope the customer wasn't a jerk about the long hours. Sometimes wrenching is a thankless job.

When I can, I try to get technicians who work on THAT specific brand or type of engine. Sometimes there are tricks from experience or from following Ford service procedures. Even custom tools for jobs.
For example, I see some garages around that will only work on Subarus. Or of course the expensive dealerships who at least should know all the tricks from experience on their own make of vehicles.

And people wonder why I always recommend, what seems to them, a severe maintenance schedule, full of frequent robust synthetic oil changes, fluid changes, frequent plug changes, and involvement in the various forums. The expense and hassle of repairs far exceeds the additional cost of good maintenance.

How many miles on the truck?

And just saying no EcoBoosts means a ton of completely different engines go out the window too... a lot more engines that share the name but not designs. Unless of course you mean the 3.5 in the earlier F150s.

That's why it always kinda bugs me to have to drop off a car and be without it for a day--or more--whenever something comes up, but I realize why. Because the job can go sideways on the mechanic and what ought to be simple might take way longer. Thus I try to keep another vehicle around so it's less stress on them and me.

I did have to cut the clamps off. Real fun with a cutter in one hand while holding my body up with the other. Basically doing a 1 arm pushup while standing on my head. After cuttng them off the boots were still stuck! Here is my arm this morning

IMG_20191101_052815.jpg

Originally Posted by MNgopher
How many miles on the truck?

And just saying no EcoBoosts means a ton of completely different engines go out the window too... a lot more engines that share the name but not designs. Unless of course you mean the 3.5 in the earlier F150s.

New technology cars here get traded before the warranty is up.

Nice if you can afford it, and cost same or more down the road if you cant afford it.

I just budget for $300 a month for car ownership.

I would only own a 60's classic long term.

Do about 10 more and you'll be a pro. The two main line techs at the last dealership I was at average about an hour and a half on F150 water pumps, whether 5.0 or ecoboost. I was already working the desk by the time the water pump failures were prevalent, so I got to miss out on that.

Originally Posted by billt460
So what did the whole job end up costing him?

About $600

That's not bad. I would have guessed much higher. Especially after you described what you had to go through.

About $600

That was the original estimate. Book time is 3 hrs + parts.

I hear you on the wrong direction clamps. When I had to do the radiator hose on my F350, it took me 5 hours just to get the clamps off. It was spring clamps, but they installed them 180 off from the factory and I couldn't even get to them with a spring clamp plier set because it was sitting inside the crossmember. Or hacksaw!

About $600

That seems real cheap. I thought I saw prices of approximately $1,600 at Ford dealers to replace the water pump on the 3.5's in the Explorer. Our 2017 Explorer has the 2.3 EcoBoost and the water pump is the "old fashioned" easy to access belt driven water pump.

Whimsey

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter

Originally Posted by user52165

Here is my 2103 Santa Fe Sport turbo water pump install:

Couldn't be easier.

Ditto on my Kia..

I guess that answers everyone's issue.
Simply purchase a Huyndai/Kia product and never worry again.
smirk.gif

I wonder if someone was in there prior and put an adhesive on the turbo hoses to keep them from popping off. I have seen people use JB Weld on some modified cars which holds great, up to 32psi of boost, but make taking it all apart a nightmare.

Originally Posted by Whimsey

About $600

That seems real cheap. I thought I saw prices of approximately $1,600 at Ford dealers to replace the water pump on the 3.5's in the Explorer. Our 2017 Explorer has the 2.3 EcoBoost and the water pump is the "old fashioned" easy to access belt driven water pump.

Whimsey

The front wheel drive variations of the 3.5/3.7 engines have an internal water pump driven by the timing chain. The rear wheel drive versions have an external belt driven water pump.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back