BMW E34/M60 Water Pump Replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well for the third time since I've owned the car the water pump on my old BMW was on its way out so I replaced it. In theory it should be a relatively easy job, just remove the fan, shroud, and hoses and it comes right off. In practice though the installation of the new pump is much more difficult. There are two pipes that run from the rear collector manifold up to the pump in the front, and when you pull the pump off (or try to get the new one on) you disturb their o-ring joint at the rear, and if they don't immediately leak they will within 6 months. So to do the job properly you have to remove the intake manifold so the pipes can be removed and the rear o-rings replaced. Also there's nearly always some corrosion on the pipes so as I have done the last two times, I replaced the pipes as well as the o-rings and pump. All told it turns a $100 job into a $250 one.

Anyway, I should be good to go for the remaining life of the car. I got a Saleri pump this time as apparently Graf has ceased production of their pump. They are still available from FCP Euro but the Saleri is OEM to the BMW and it seems as though the construction is a bit better.

The other silver pipe in the valley is part of the goofy PCV system on this car.

Nothing really to see here I just thought maybe someone would be interested in how a water pump is changed on a 24-year old BMW.

Nice write up and thanks for informative post
smile.gif

Waaaaay easier on my m 20 sixes. Used the best pump, a 35$ GMB made in Japan. Changed 'em every other timing belt whether they needed it or not.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: Audios
Have you changed the valley pan while in there? We used to do them all the time, dont see them so much anymore.

Yeah I changed the valley pan about two-three years ago. Also the gaskets on the rear collector manifold.

I've never seen a car with as many potential coolant leakage points than this one. All the hoses, the two water pumps, valve, heater core, radiator, expansion tank those pipes, etc. The V-cover between the engine and transmission was leaking a while back but it stopped. I haven't decided if I'll make the effort to fix that one yet.

That's a good looking 530! Hows the M60 on oil? Does it have the consumption issues the M62 and N62/3 have? I've been looking at some E60/F10 545 and 550s but I reeeaaalllllly don't want to tear apart the motor for valve seals.

Originally Posted By: SEMI_287
That's a good looking 530! Hows the M60 on oil? Does it have the consumption issues the M62 and N62/3 have? I've been looking at some E60/F10 545 and 550s but I reeeaaalllllly don't want to tear apart the motor for valve seals.

No, excessive oil consumption is not one of its many faults.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Originally Posted By: SEMI_287

No, excessive oil consumption is not one of its many faults.

Many faults?
lol.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back