Gel battries and battery tenders

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought a new battery for the bike and it's a gel. I'm wondering if any of you use a battery tender on a gel battery and if it's made specifically for gels. I have a standard battery tender and I've been finding a lot of mixed info on the subject. Some say you have to use a tender that's made specifically for gels, and others say they've used a standard tender on the gels for years and it works just fine. What's your take on it?

I have a gel in my bike and I use a battery tender jr. religiously. I have had no trouble for 3 years after my first battery (no battery maintenance) died on my after its second winter storage.

To my understanding a normal tender is fine if it doesn't put out too much power. I use a Battery Tender Jr. on a gel battery without issue. If you put too much current into them for too long, they will heat up and bad things happen.

Gel batteries require a lower final and float voltage, by around 0.35V, a non-trivial amount. You cannot make up electrolyte so extreme caution should be made to not damage or dry the cells.

Temperature compensation is also prudent. A bike is also a small battery so regular 2A chargers have a different effect than on a car battery.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Gel batteries require a lower final and float voltage, by around 0.35V, a non-trivial amount. You cannot make up electrolyte so extreme caution should be made to not damage or dry the cells.

Temperature compensation is also prudent. A bike is also a small battery so regular 2A chargers have a different effect than on a car battery.

Then I don't understand how guys are using non-gel specific tenders on gel batteries for years without problems...

I copied this from Ebay. It says it can be used on gell batteries.

Deltran 12 Volt Battery Tender Jr. Charger Maintainers! Keep your battery at the right voltage at all times! - SAVE future money on bad batteries, by keeping your battery good for MUCH longer! NEW, not refurbished! NO PLASTIC PACKAGE INCLUDED

Comes with Alligator clips to leave on battery for easy hook up! - Feel free to call us with any questions or wholesale orders at 901-476-7555. If local, feel free to call about our retail location & RV Shop. Ring terminal, extension leads & cases/pouches to keep it all in sold separate. You are buying the economy version with Alligator hook ups only. NO PLASTIC PACKAGE INCLUDED

MSRP is $39.95 Each - GREAT DEAL!!!

Were a Deltran Distributor that supplies stores and car & motorcycle collectors by the case lots at very low pricing, so you can feel safe and everything is under full warranty by buying from a Deltran distributor.

Call XPW With Any Questions at 901-476-7555

The Battery Tender Junior is much more than a trickle charger. It has a brain. It's lightweight, compact, and fully automatic; very easy to use, especially in small spaces. It will keep your battery fully charged so that it is ready to go when you are!

Perfect for all lead-acid, flooded or sealed maintenance free batteries (AGM and gel cell).

Complete 4-step charging program (Initialization, Bulk Charge, Absorption Mode, Float Mode).

Automatically switches to float / maintenance voltage after fully charging the battery.

If the battery voltage drops too far under load, full charger output power resumes.

Solid state two color LED indicates stage of charger.

Spark proof.

Reverse polarity protected.

12' output cord.

5 year warranty

A MUST for all Motorcycles, RV's, Boats & MORE! - Keep any motorized vechicles battery maintained at the right voltage at all times, without OVER Charging it! Save Your Battery Today!

Your purchasing this from an authorized Deltran Distribitor and your purchase will be under FULL Warranty! Comes to you brand new and at a deal, not in plastic to save you money in shipping. We will through in the printed cardboard from inside the package and instructions, so you know it's new. See other Deltran Products that we also have listed, most are on our ebay ads. - S&H on this purchase is FREE in ALL the U.S..

Gel or AGM?

Look carefully, most sealed bike batteries I see are actually AGM.
AGM allows higher discharge rates (engine starting) Vs: gel.

Cut and paste from a battery technology webpage.

"More often than not AGM Batteries are mistakenly identified as Gel Cell Batteries. Both batteries have similar traits; such as being non spillable, deep cycle, may be mounted in any position, low self discharge, safe for use in limited ventilation areas, and may be transported via Air or Ground safely without special handling."

Originally Posted By: Rickey
Gel or AGM?

Look carefully, most sealed bike batteries I see are actually AGM.
AGM allows higher discharge rates (engine starting) Vs: gel.

Cut and paste from a battery technology webpage.

"More often than not AGM Batteries are mistakenly identified as Gel Cell Batteries. Both batteries have similar traits; such as being non spillable, deep cycle, may be mounted in any position, low self discharge, safe for use in limited ventilation areas, and may be transported via Air or Ground safely without special handling."

Excellent point. AGM actually requires a higher float and charge voltage than a standard flooded cell! So a regular flooded charger willa ctually undercharge the AGM cell a bit.

The battery tender claims to be able to maintain all the types they listed. Has anyone here had a different experience using one? By the size of the membership, I'd think we would have all the battery type bases covered. I owned 5 in the last 10 years or so and I've never had a problem with one. Used on AGM type batteries. When I sell a bike, the tender usually goes with it.,,

I have been using the Deltran tenders on AGM batteries for 10 years and never any issue. You will double the life of the battery using the Deltran tender. Grampi: Ge the Deltran with the pigtail and wire it right no that new battery. Then keep it plugged in. I do recommend plugging into a surge protector though.

Last edited:
More likely to triple small powersports battery life when using a 'tender'. I now get over ten years out of my AGM OEM style batteries. I top off a battery at least every few weeks. I have six batteries in machines in the garage that I rotate two tenders thru. I use to get 3 years out of these batteries before issues set in before taking good care of them...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back