Gear slip in a Honda Odyssey; tear down vid

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been watching this user's vids on YouTube. Interesting to me, thoughts from those with experience on an Odyssey?

Originally Posted By: brandini
Typical Odyssey transmission (from what I hear)

So, is it a computer programming type of thing? He claims the clutch packs didn't look bad at the end.

Originally Posted By: ltslimjim
Originally Posted By: brandini
Typical Odyssey transmission (from what I hear)

So, is it a computer programming type of thing? He claims the clutch packs didn't look bad at the end.

truth is, with the way that Honda designs their rather unorthodoxical A/T, the clutch friction disc will starts to slip with accelerated wear as time/mileage progresses, so even if there' still a bit of friction material left on the rings, chances are, it's already slipping in an obvious manner.

no, re-programming will not help in this case (IMHO). but a seriously beefed up transmission (with more friction discs in all 4 gear drums, better fluid flow into those areas (to cool/lubricate) shall prolong the life of the Ody 4spd A/T gearbox nicely.

My 2c's worth.

Q. (done 2 Honda A/T repacks so far...yeah, PITA)

The pressure valve is designed to hamper flow through the cooler while at idle. Sonnax makes a replacement pressure valve that allows more flow through the circuit while at idle.

You DO know that Eric's rebuilt was NOT successful? It died in few weeks after the "rebuilt".

Honda autos are really manuals in disguise. Too bad that nobody taught Honda engineers how to do proper shifting without burning the clutch(es) Most Honda owners used to 5-speed could do better job than the brain (and fluid) behind that AT :-(

Last edited:
That's an oldie if it's a 4spd Ody trans. I believe the last time the 4spd was used was ~2002.

Joel

No, I didn't know the transmission finally died. I was posting to learn more about what was actually going on in these transmissions.

It seems as though, then, that the 2nd gear slip he describes wasn't due to the clutches really? I mean if it died a few weeks after anyway. Did he make a video of that, too?

Last edited:
Nope, he did not make a video about it later. I think he gave up on that van which was a shame. I would have thought he would have looked in to a professional rebuild but I suspect he knows that even a pro rebuilt has a limited life span as far as those transmissions are concerned.

He hasn't given up on the van. He's going to be dropping the transmission and replacing it soon. He made that comment about a week ago, so he should be uploading a video soon.

yeap all honda automatics are made like this for the exception of a few planetary gear set transmissions made by GM used in the 4wd passport and possibly others.

ive taken apart a few of them. they're not very difficult to work on actually. I would just make sure to be extra careful and give yourself plenty of time on the clutch packs when you replace them.

Originally Posted By: david_ES2
yeap all honda automatics are made like this for the exception of a few planetary gear set transmissions made by GM used in the 4wd passport and possibly others.

ive taken apart a few of them. they're not very difficult to work on actually. I would just make sure to be extra careful and give yourself plenty of time on the clutch packs when you replace them.

Honda Passport is basically a Isuzu Trooper in-disguse. That's why it comes with a "conventional" A/T gearbox.

Reason why Honda designed/made this rather unorthodox A/T gearbox design has to do with them avoiding paying the royalities back in the 50s to Borg-Warner (I believe) for using their planetary-gear type of A/T design (the ones that are now the majority in A/T automobiles) and would rather insists in developing this rather silly (IMHO) design. The 1st contraption that was sold to mass public was in 1st gen Civic and also Accord where it bears the name "Hondamatic", which is, essentially, a fluid driven, non-clutch type of semi-automatic that you must push the gear in order to shift.

My 2c's worth. Correct me if my memory is wrong.

Q.

Originally Posted By: Quest

Honda Passport is basically a Isuzu Trooper in-disguse.

Sorry, just wanted to fix this

Honda Passport = Isuzu Rodeo in the states, and Miu Wizard, and Wizard in Japan.

Isuzu Trooper = Acura SLX
Chevrolet Trooper
Isuzu Bighorn
Holden Jackaroo
Holden Monterey
Honda Horizon
Opel Monterey
Vauxhall Monterey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back