Gear Oil - Porsche

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought Mobil 1 GL-5 with friction modifier (LSD) gear oil for the transaxle in my 87 Porsche Carrera.

The likelihood is that this oil is going to be in the car for many years.

This car does not have the limited-slip differential and while the specs seem to match the owner's manual, I would like to hear if you think I am using the right stuff. It can easily still go back to AAP.

IIRC There is another brand very popular with Porsche owners.

Your selection is surely ideal.

Amsoil SVG would be another top choice, IMO.

Best ever shift/synchro feel in my 1987 and 1991 911's with with Amsoil SVG 75w110. Run it in all the race cars now too.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
IIRC There is another brand very popular with Porsche owners.

My sister, who owns a couple Porsches, advises that Swepco is a very popular gear oil choice.

Hi,
TomYoung - Yes, if it is a synthetic 75w-90 you have made a wise choice. The product is durable and long lasting. I have run this product at 1m kms OCI (fill for life) in very demanding applications - including various Porsche cars I have owned

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
By transaxle do you mean manual tranny? If so,does it require a GL4 or 5?

I am fairly sure we are talking about the same thing, but it is a unit containing both the transmission and differential, so it is correctly termed a transaxle.

The owner's manual calls for GL-5.

Tom, you have that 90 degree power change, which means a hypoid gearset. A GL5 is best for long life.

Absolute best shifting may be compromised, as the fluid is not friction biased for shifting/synchros.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back