gear oil help please

Status
Not open for further replies.
so before i became a bitoger i changed the rear diff fluid on my new to me pick up (04 f150) i went with super tech 85/140 and lucas. i think it may have been a bad idea because it recs syn 75/90 or 75/140 for towing. its a limited slip diff.
i have thought about going with mobil, synpower, or royal purple.
any thoughts on these products? which would you pick?

i know it probably makes no difference but id rather stay with a trusted name. i usually get the friction mod from oriely's, i dont know what brand it is, but its right here and cheap.

the fluid change is going to take 2.5 qts and price is and issue. i would really like to get it done so i can quit worrying about it.
the valvoline and mobil are around 8 and the rp is 13. i dont do any towing but do i need the extra protection of a 75/140? it is a bit more expensive than 75/90

here are my choices from my local warehouse:
castrol syn 75/90 8.89
mobil 1 75/90 7.99
royal purple 75/90 13.99
valvoline 75/90 7.99
royal purple 75/140 13.99

If you tow or haul a lot, stick with the 75w140.
If you don't work the truck ever, use the 75w90.

Brand is for you to decide. ANY will serve you well.

I have the exact same truck and engine...I just changed mine out with Mobil 1. I think it was 75/140 and it already has the LS stuff in it. I didn't want to have to worry about it for 50K and thats why I went with syn.

Originally Posted By: Barkleymut
I have the exact same truck and engine...I just changed mine out with Mobil 1. I think it was 75/140 and it already has the LS stuff in it. I didn't want to have to worry about it for 50K and thats why I went with syn.

If I was u, i do go to ford dealer and buy a bottle of addictive. event mobil 1 say it already have the additive, add it anyway.

I've used Mobil1 75w-90 and have been very happy with it back in 2002-2005. Right now I would probably go with Amsoil 75w-90, just because pour point of M1 is only -39C (amsoil is like -50C). But going by price/performance it's hard to beat M1.

I dont see what he is gaining with a 11C spread between Mobil and amsoil?? He doesnt live up at the north pole. Between those two I would just toss a coin. Both great gear oils. More than adequate for any winter in any of the 50 states.

i do ALOT of highway miles so my main concern is foaming or air pockets in the oil.... if that makes any difference..

All of the Ford spec has superseded to 75w140 now regardless if if came with 75w90.

Honestly, I have to do a dump on my 2010 this weekend of gear lube and trans fluid because I got the truck stuck and got it a little hotter than I am comfortable with so I am swapping them.

Going with the Royal Purple and Mercon LV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back