Gear Oil for TYM T-1104 Tractor 50 hour maintenance

Just purchased a new TYM T-1104 110 HP Tractor and trying to get everything together for the 50 hour maintenance. Most confusing is the requirement for the Front Axle gear oil. Specification is Gear Oil API-GL4 SAE 80W/90 (4.62 gallons). The closest thing I can find is a 75W90 Synthetic Gear Lube. It is a GL-5 made by Sinopec. Tractor Supply also has Traveller 80W-90 GL-5 gear oil that is not synthetic for about the same price. Can't find a GL-4 and not sure it really matters since I doubt there is any yellow metal in the Front Axle or Front Wheel drive gears. I was originally planning to use the Universal Tractor Fluid in the front axle, but that may not be a good idea!

Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.

Gl4 is rated for boxes with yellow metal. I am told that all gl5 is safe for yellow metal now too, as Gl4 is phased out. I would run the cheapest xw90 I could get easily

The Delvac 50 I mentioned in a previous post is GL-4, and 90 Weight.
It is so expensive. Budget is $70 for 5 gallons and not over $150/5 gallons.

I live in a remote area that is 100 miles from a large city, so most things come from Amazon, Walmart, or Tractor Supply delivery. That is not bad as they carry a good variety of oils. Napa also has a store 40 miles from here.

Gl4 is rated for boxes with yellow metal. I am told that all gl5 is safe for yellow metal now too, as Gl4 is phased out. I would run the cheapest xw90 I could get easily
Do you know any examples for me? I have found a few that I will look into.

carefuly read the whole data sheet.
The main thing I got out of it was :"Applications requiring API GL-4 or SAE 80W grade lubricants in all gear applications except hypoid gear designs." I don't think there are any hypoid gears in the front axle, so why not use the Mobile Delvac Tractor Hydraulic fluid in the front axle and four wheel drive front wheel drive. This is what Kubota does on my Kubota Tractor and what Kioti does with the identical engine and almost same tractor under their name.

What I know is:
1) some tractors recommend gear oil for front axles (all of my John Deere's).
2.) Some tractors recommend Universal Tractor Hydraulic fluid in their front axles.
3.) Some owner's manual's (domestic and foreign) are woefully out of date/misprinted regarding fluid recommendations (Kubota, Deere, and especially the minor brands).

Your Korean tractor manual recommends 90w GL4 gear oil. I would be reluctant to run anything else unless the company tells you otherwise. You are gambling that the owner's manual has not been updated and that the specific recommendation does not apply to the current manufacturing design. I speak from experience using the wrong fluid in an Oliver Tractor and damaged the transmission (I listened to the counter guy).

This meets the GL 4 90W spec. for both your tractor and your flail mower: https://www.amazon.com/CRC-Sta-Lube...ocphy=9017216&hvtargid=pla-435202304377&psc=1

Note:
- 90w is difficult to find. I have used the multi-weights for decades in place of straight 90 with no ill effects.
- whether or not GL 5 is safe to use with yellow metals is another dilemma still debated.

Last edited:
Do you know any examples for me? I have found a few that I will look into.

I would select and readily available oil near you and call their tech line

Is your recommendation that I use any 80/w90 GL4 or GL5? or any GL4 80/w90 or 75/w90? I need it in a 5 gallon jug since the tractor takes 4.62 gallons for maintenance and this is budgeted at $125.

What I know is:
1) some tractors recommend gear oil for front axles (all of my John Deere's).
2.) Some tractors recommend Universal Tractor Hydraulic fluid in their front axles.
3.) Some owner's manual's (domestic and foreign) are woefully out of date/misprinted regarding fluid recommendations (Kubota, Deere, and especially the minor brands).

Your Korean tractor manual recommends 90w GL4 gear oil. I would be reluctant to run anything else unless the company tells you otherwise. You are gambling that the owner's manual has not been updated and that the specific recommendation does not apply to the current manufacturing design. I speak from experience using the wrong fluid in an Oliver Tractor and damaged the transmission (I listened to the counter guy).

This meets the GL 4 90W spec. for both your tractor and your flail mower: https://www.amazon.com/CRC-Sta-Lube...ocphy=9017216&hvtargid=pla-435202304377&psc=1

Note:
- 90w is difficult to find. I have used the multi-weights for decades in place of straight 90 with no ill effects.
- whether or not GL 5 is safe to use with yellow metals is another dilemma still debated.
Looks good, but costs $200 for 5 gallons for the Tractor and is not avaible in 5 gallon containers, I can cut this to $100 just using the Tractor Supply gear oils that are GL-5. I don't want to take any risks with this tractor, that is why I am asking for help finding s suitable gear oil for my new tractor and mower.

It just should not be this hard to find. As I said before, any and all assistance is sincerely appreciated.

Is your recommendation that I use any 80/w90 GL4 or GL5? or any GL4 80/w90 or 75/w90? I need it in a 5 gallon jug since the tractor takes 4.62 gallons for maintenance and this is budgeted at $125.
I would find a cheap/easy local supply of GL5 and contact their tech line. That said, I have run GL5 in many transmissions with brass/bronze syncro mages and bushings with no issues

I have tried calling warren to speak with their tech line, but no answer yet. I will post once I hear.

Here's one on Amazon. 5 Gal pail Gl4.

Ultra1Plus SAE 75W-90 Synthetic Gear Oil, API GL-4 | 5 Gallon Pail​

Never used it or heard of them so not a personal use recommend, but seems close match to what you're looking for. Cannot imagine a synchro or brass item there but still would be a bit concerned With Gl5 without a mfgr or dealer ok on a brandy new tractor

Do you have a NAPA around? I bought 5 gallons of their 80w90 for my 49 Farmall C and IIRC it was GL4.
I was in TC a few weeks later and saw their 80w90 was about 20 bucks less expensive, I would have bought and used that if I had known, think that was GL5.

Spoke with Warren. Very helpful. Their GL5 rates at most a 1b on the copper strip corrosion test, so very good (1a being the best)

Warren lists their GL5 as the first choice for the TYM 1054 front axle and their GL4 as second choice:

They don't show the 1104 model
They are the same tractor. I have not been able to find out why they changed the model number. This is excellent information and thanks for all your trouble.

Do you have a NAPA around? I bought 5 gallons of their 80w90 for my 49 Farmall C and IIRC it was GL4.
I was in TC a few weeks later and saw their 80w90 was about 20 bucks less expensive, I would have bought and used that if I had known, think that was GL5.
What is TC?

Back