gear oil for big twin Harley

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got a 2000 FXD and am currently using a 75W90 gear oil from Amsoil. I see that Amsoil is now offering an SAE 190 gear oil and was wondering if this would be too thick for my application. I haven't tried the Severe Gear 75W140 yet but will likely try that out. I've found that once the transmission gets hot the 75W90 thins out so that shifts become notchy.

Thanks!
Sean
----

Amsoil's primary recommendation in almost all Harleys is SVT 75W-110 and SVO 75W-140, so I agree the SVG 75W-90 is not what you want to use and not recommended.

So chose one of those two - go with SVO if you want to really step up the viscosity.

The SRN SAE 190 is extremely viscous and might be OK for a very warm day, the cool temperature flow while good for a and SAE 190, may be a real problem on say a 5°C (5°C = 41 °F)ride. Try it on your own risk.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: Scoop_Fraser
I've got a 2000 FXD and am currently using a 75W90 gear oil from Amsoil. I see that Amsoil is now offering an SAE 190 gear oil and was wondering if this would be too thick for my application. I haven't tried the Severe Gear 75W140 yet but will likely try that out. I've found that once the transmission gets hot the 75W90 thins out so that shifts become notchy.

Thanks!
Sean
----

Same thing happens with Mobil 1 75W/90 gear oil - runs great than notchy shifting again within 2-3,000 miles.

Originally Posted By: PT1
Try the redline shockproof heavy

+1
It's a 75W-250 that is said to flow like a 75W-90. I've used it in our two '07 Big Twins (6-speeds) year-round with no shifting problems whatsoever. Seems consistent when hot or cold.

I drained out one of the gearboxes last weekend after 5500 miles and the magnetic drainplug was spotless and the oil looked new.

Originally Posted By: Lost1

+1
It's a 75W-250 that is said to flow like a 75W-90. I've used it in our two '07 Big Twins (6-speeds) year-round with no shifting problems whatsoever. Seems consistent when hot or cold.

I drained out one of the gearboxes last weekend after 5500 miles and the magnetic drainplug was spotless and the oil looked new.

Sounds like just what I need!

+1

Same here. The tech at redline said you can run it 30,000 miles.

+1

Same here. The tech at redline said you can run it 30,000 miles.

I don't doubt it. I just changed my transmission's Shockproof Heavy last week, and while it only had about 5500 miles/8 months on it it came out like new. (Pepto Bismol in, Pepto Bismol out.
LOL.gif
)
The drainplug magnet was spotless too- no metal at all. I've heard of many who leave it in for 20k miles with the same results.

I only drained it out to try Spectro's Platinum 6-speed gear oil as they advertise it specifically targets the whine inherent to the new H-D 6-speed.
After running it for several hundred miles all I can say is- stick with the Shockproof. The Spectro did no more to squelch the 5th gear whine my tranny has than the Shockproof did. That's not to say that the Spectro is a bad oil because it's not, but for what it costs compared to Shockproof ($18 per qt for Spectro, $12 per qt Shockproof) it simply offers no advantage.

I'll leave the Spectro in for a year or so then change back to Shockproof...

Last edited:
I have used just about every gear oil out there in my transmission,right now I have harley formula plus in my 04 flh seems to shift fine.

Originally Posted By: harley145000
I have used just about every gear oil out there in my transmission,right now I have harley formula plus in my 04 flh seems to shift fine.

I agree. Try Formula+, which is what HD recommends for all transmission and primary applications now.

Originally Posted By: wouldi55
So for a 95 EVO 55 speed fatboy do I want the heavy duty or the V-Twin shockproof for best shifting?

Try it for 12 bucks. You will love it and the fact you can go 20-30,000 miles on it is great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back