GE makes Nighthawk signal bulbs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whilst in Wmart last night I wandered around in automotive and after picking up two qts of oil went to lighting section. The display had Nighthawk in signal lights, sidemarker, etc. It says on the package "up to 20% more light where you need it." So I got the 194 bulbs to try out on the Impala's tag light. I'll try to install them this weekend and post a picture if my wife can show me how.
blush.gif
Someone at my job (not me) had gotten stopped for no tag light, and though the lights on the tag of our car are two years old almost, I decided why not try them out?
dunno.gif
smile.gif

I bought another set of 194s for my tag light, and two sets of 3057s for both cars' taillights. Saturday I'll put them in while the oil is draining.

Quote:

The display had Nighthawk in signal lights, sidemarker, etc. It says on the package "up to 20% more light where you need it." So I got the 194 bulbs to try out on the Impala's tag light. I'll try to install them this weekend and post a picture if my wife can show me how.

If brightness for secondary lights is what is important to you, don't overlook the better LED modules (i.e. complete LED "bulb replacements", where you just plug the LED module in where the stock bulb would otherwise go).

Not only are some of the better LED modules brighter than the stock bulbs, but they also have these advantages: 1) LEDs use a lot less power (than incandescent bulbs), 2) LEDs last practically forever, unlike incandescent bulbs, 3) LEDs usually give a more pure color light (which IMHO is easier for other drivers to see) than using an incandescent behind a colored car lens gives, and 4) LEDs turn on/off a fraction of a second faster than incandescent bulbs (which IMHO is especially important for "brake lights", as it gives the person behind you a fraction of a second more time to stop).

Of course, LED lights aren't for everyone, if only because of the initially higher cost (they may last practically forever, but they will cost more initially). And you also have to pay attention to LED module specs, instead of just price (as only the higher end LED modules put out more light than the stock car bulbs they are replacing, the cheap/garbage LED modules are a lot dimmer). And in some applications, cars will (incorrectly) interpret the lower current draw of the LEDs as a "burned out bulb". So you sometimes have to plan ahead before replacing all your car lights with LEDs (for example, I had to upgrade my turn signal flasher, before I could use LED modules for my turn signals, as my stock flasher couldn't flash correctly with the low current draw LEDs). But with all that said, IMHO a good LED upgrade (which I've now done to both mine and my wife's primary cars) can do wonders for your vehicle's secondary lighting.

I couldn't afford the LED bulbs. The ones I could find with the correct numbers. I don't like to order stuff like that over the computer, as I rather would go into the parts store and see for myself what is available, and if the wrong part is what I picked, I can go right back to the store, plus I would be the only one at fault for the wrong part choosing.

Quote:

I couldn't afford the LED bulbs.

So the idea is that while these incandescent bulbs are a lot cheaper (initially) than the LEDs, even though they don't give as big of a benefit? i.e. go for a little benefit at a lower cost premium, instead of a bigger benefit at a higher (initial) cost. Makes sense to me.

Granted, that isn't the choice I personally went with, but your choice is still a rational one (especially if/when you don't have the money for the fancier upgrade). As for me, I figure the money I spent to put LED modules in our cars (which I think worked out to approximately $200 per car by the time I was done, with each individual LED module running in the $2-$25 range depending upon the details of that "light") was still a small enough cost to be "worth it" to me.

i.e. I chose to go with the "premium lights", at an equivilent (initial) "premimum price" (since even that premium price was small enough I could easily pay it, without worry about what it does to my budget). And you chose the equally rational approach of going with slightly above average lights at a slightly above average price. So you don't get as much (added) benefit from your light "upgrade" (as I did from mine), but you also didn't pay as much as I did.

NOTE:
LED modules may be a lot more costly initially, but you will (if you keep your car long enough) eventually recoup that extra cost for two different reasons: 1) LEDs generally last a LOT longer than incandescent bulbs. So put LEDs in, and you generally never have to replace them again. Over the very long term, this can save you in replacement bulb costs. and 2) LEDs use a lot less power. And in a car, higher electrical use translates into slightly less fuel economy (as more electrical power use, results in higher alternator drag on the engine). So using lower power LEDs (and LEDs are very energy efficient when compared to standard car bulbs), will result in a small fuel savings on each tank. And even very minor fuel savings add up over the lifetime of the vehicle! So by going with the LEDs, I am essentially choosing to be in it "for the long haul".

FWIW, I've found the LED retofits for incandescent auto tail/stop/marker/turn lamps to be marginal at best, and downright mediocre compared to standard incandecent bulbs as far as light output/lumens and the relector "fill".

Unless the vehicle has OEM LED's, or can use LED replacement lamp/lens modules, like the 4" grommet-style lights on heavy trucks, they really don't work very well and are not worth the high cost.

Drew

Quote:

FWIW, I've found the LED retofits for incandescent auto tail/stop/marker/turn lamps to be marginal at best, and downright mediocre compared to standard incandecent bulbs as far as light output/lumens and the relector "fill".

As far as I can tell, some (often cheaper) LED modules are junk (i.e. the maker compromised on light level and/or LED beam spread, to make them initially cheaper), and this little fact has given the entire LED (car light) market a black eye.

My personal experience is that you should shop for LED modules based upon specs (not just the car socket it fits, but also: light output, light color, and beam angle) for your application, and NOT on price alone (as the market for LED modules is even more variable, in terms of what you are buying, than the market for normal bulbs). But my experience is also that the "top end" of the market in terms of LED module specs (which may only be around the middle of the market, in terms of cost, so shop around), will usually greatly EXCEED the "useful light" (in this case, the portion of the light that hits and goes out the car lens) of a standard (incandescent) car bulb in the same situation!

And remember, when comparing total lumens (of a LED module vs an incandescent car bulb), the LED module will often have two key advantages vs the standard bulb (both of which can raise the "useful light", relative to a standard car bulb, higher than it at first appears):

1) LEDs can be designed to focus the beam angle at any angular width the LED maker chose. The down side of this, is that LEDs that are focused too narrowly, result in the problem of the light not filling the car lens, that you previously mentioned (was your experience). However, the advantage of this, is that if you properly match the beam angle to the usage in your car, you will put more of your total light out the lens of the car (as you are pointing the light right at the car lens), and have much less of the light wasted (going out the sides/back of the bulb, only to have it partially reflected back, for example).

and 2) Normal incandescent bulbs are naturally white. So to get colored light out of incandescents, you start with white light, then send the light through a color filter (either a color filter/coating on the bulb itself, or more commonly a colored car lens to do the filtering). This color filtering works, but wastes a LOT of light (in the case of red tailights, you can easily waste about 70% of your car's while light, just to change the color to red). OTOH LEDs can produce colored light without the filters. So if you match the LED module to the lens color, you avoid the lost/wasted light, and instead have almost all of the LED light go through the car's lens. This fact alone can considerably raise the effective light of a LED module vs a normal car bulb.

For example (to put real world numbers to this), an approximately 180 lumen red LED brake/tail-light assembly (and yes they are out there, I was able to find/get 180+ lumen red LED 1157 bulb replacement modules, for around $25/module) will be about 1/3 brighter than an approximately 400 lumen stock white bulb, counting only the white/incandescent color filter losses (point #2, above) alone (as the 400 lumen bulb will be reduced to around 135 lumens of useful light (give or take, due to the exact car lens design), due to the car's red lens alone). If you also properly match the beam angle of your LEDs to your usage (so that you fill the car's lens, but don't put much light where it's not doing you any good), you will also get more of your total light out the lens (point #1, above), vs the stock (incandescent) bulb.

The final result (between both of these benefits), is that (in some cases, it depends upon the exact bulb application) even LED modules that nominally have fewer lumens, can end up with more "useful light" (i.e. light through the car lens) than the (supposedly higher lumen) stock incandescent bulb. In my case, those 1157 bulb replacements (I previously mentioned) appear (to my eye) to be about twice as bright (in terms of brake/tail light out the car lens) than the stock 1157 bulbs they replaced. But this isn't all that surprising, when you run the numbers, since just the lens losses themselves should make the LED assembly about 1/3 brighter, and there are also "beam angle" benefits by using the 135 degree LED module vs an "all directions" 1157 car bulb!

Bottom line:
LED retrofits work well, if you get the right LED retrofits. But you have to be careful which ones you buy, because you are correct that many LED retrofits (especially the cheaper modules) just don't work as well as stock. So it's "buyer beware" when shopping for LED retrofits.

I put them in yesterday while changing the oil, and saw them lit up tonight. They are certainly brighter plate light, and the taillights are even brighter than before.
shocked.gif
approved.gif
Into the cavalier next.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back