GE Advantium microwave

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife wants to get a new stainless GE above range microwave to match our GE range. She wants a GE so the led display color will match our GE range. In my research, I found an interesting model called the Advantium.
Anyone here have experience using a GE Advantium microwave?

I bought my parents a GE microwave about 2 years ago......I do not remember the model....but it stopped working in less than 6 months.

I don't buy any appliance thats made by GE. You have to be careful as some of sears appliances are whirlpool and some are GE. Hot point i believe is also GE.

I bought that microwave for my old house. I think it can cook 3 different ways. Sounded like a great idea. We sold the house 3 years latter and never used it for anything besides a microwave.

I've been a faithful follower of Panasonic microwave for the past 10 yrs (since our Toshiba died before then, was in-service for 15yrs): bought 2 of them 1.2cu ft type and they have been serving my parent's and my house in good order.

As opposed to most other home based microwave, Panasonic heats up evenly. I used to have a Litton restaurant style microwave and I gave that away about 12 yrs ago. That unit was not cheep but heats up nicely and deemed very reliable.

Q.

We had a Radarange that was passed from my uncle,to my mother then to me.It finally died after 5 more years.Next was a cheap goldline or something from wally,about 5 years on that one.Now a Sharp with about six years on it still going.We had one more in between.A 3-in-1 which did nothing particularly well... it was forgettable.

The Radarange was by far the most durable weapon in the kitchen,between three households.

GE sold their appliance business cause profit margin was very slim.

The jet engines, locomotives, medical equipment, etc... are the big money making businesses at GE.

You need to really re-think the above oven microwave ordeal. We are remodeling our kitchen and going with a drawer type microwave made by Sharp. One of the problems with above microwave is heat from the oven/stove. Another one is accessibility. Having to reach up to us it becomes a PITA, especially as you get older. The drawer microwave is pretty cool, but not cheap, they are around 800 dollars.

GE Profile refrigerator,stove and microwave, all within the last 5 years. So far no problems. We wanted the microwave above the stove for exhausting through the roof when searing or frying, and less expensive than having a separate exhaust hood and built in microwave. Our old GE microwave lasted 15 years in the same configuration.

I do buy GE appliances, but only the most basic not the high end stuff.

My last GE washer lasted 17 years., again it was the most basic washer they had.

I promise I'll bad mouth GE over the range microwave every time I can:

They sold me a made in Korea unit that had a bad touch pad / keyboard, and dare to charge me $180 (later drop to "the lowest they can go" $90) for a replacement keypad that had a bad design for a $350 microwave, that lasted only 3 years.

I'll buy a Chinese Haier throwaway microwave before I'll let GE get away with this.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: skyactiv
My wife wants to get a new stainless GE above range microwave to match our GE range. She wants a GE so the led display color will match our GE range. In my research, I found an interesting model called the Advantium.
Anyone here have experience using a GE Advantium microwave?

Our 12 year old GE Profile unit cooks with microwaves, convection oven, radiant infra red and high intensity lights. It is a wonderful machine if you take the time to figure it out.

Since I'm not a microwave fan it is a joy for me, I can make things quickly yet really cook them to brown and done like a conventional oven.

I'm sure the new ones are much better in every way...

The magnetron (the business end of the MW) of any microwave is pretty robust.

Our GE MW at work is going on 22 + year. Every few years the $2 fuse needs a replacement.

We bought an Advantium for our old house and loved it. When we moved, we bought a new Advantium and use almost every day. Try to get the 220v version with upper and lower elements if you can. It is a GE product, so expect problems from time to time and maybe get the extended warranty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back