Electric Kitchen Ranges

The closest thing to a problem I have is the front left burner doesnt like one of my pans..(hard to explain without a paragraph)
it works on the other 3 just fine.. but other than that oddity
no issues.. and for that specific pan I just use another burner.. the back left burner is identical and works fine... so who knows.

Induction is only going to get better. I was at 1000$ for the range delivered and installed.
.. and FWIW no regrets. 2.25 years ago.

I have the Frigidaire Gallery induction range. It was the cheapest name brand induction range on the market when I bought it about 2 years ago. There is one big element, two medium and a small. Tea kettle lives on the small burner and the others get regular use. If you use pans with a thick heat spreader base they heat fairly evenly despite being bigger than the elements.

I wanted a range with the linkable burners for a griddle, but that was almost double the price. I now have a propane griddle that I use on the countertop when I want a griddle.

Coming from smooth top electric (resistance), one thing I immediately noticed was extremely fast time to heat pans and boil water. I have to warn anyone who isn't used to it so they don't warp pans.

Induction ranges and cooktops provide an amazing array of benefits. One of those benefits is that they reduce your electric bill because they are more efficient. That efficiency is due to the fact that cooking typically takes a lot less time than with traditional radiant electric. The technology itself is not brand new. GE offered induction ranges in the 1970s but they never took off at the time. Many of our cousins in Europe have been using induction for a long time now and so the technology itself is actually “mature” in its development.

Of course, there are downsides and trade-offs. A large majority of modern kitchen appliances are heavily digitized/computerized and utilize electronic motherboards for most of their operations. The reason for this is not because of all the new features necessarily, but because it’s just cheaper. Seventy-five years ago, there were actually “fancy” versions of our grandmothers Kitchen ranges, which could be ordered with different levels of “options” just like with automobiles. The appliances of that era required very large quantities of copper wiring and the labour to get all of this installed on the factory floor was not a small endeavour. The more features you got, the more copper it took. But I am digressing here.

One of the most important things you can do to extend the life of your induction appliance is to protect it from electrical surges and spikes. Yes, this is true for all modern digital devices, including most of the current kitchen appliances, but it is EXTRA IMPORTANT to protect your induction appliance from variations in electrical current surging. Induction appliances, use even more sensors and electronic parts than do other appliances which are already full of these. I would highly recommend having a surge suppression device installed at the electrical box in your home. And there are other advantages to this because it will protect, all of the other devices in your house that can be zapped into oblivion. It does not take anything as dramatic as a lightning strike either. Low level searches and spikes will damage and eventually “fry out“ your induction mechanicals. The electro-mechanical and simpler devices of generations ago were a lot more robust and could survive more of these variations in the electrical grid, but you really need to think of your induction appliance in the kitchen as being just as vulnerable as your home office laptop. It is especially important to protect induction appliances because the cost of repairing them is eye watering and unfortunately, many of them do not get repaired but instead end up in the e-waste landfill 😡

I have the Frigidaire Gallery induction range. It was the cheapest name brand induction range on the market when I bought it about 2 years ago. There is one big element, two medium and a small. Tea kettle lives on the small burner and the others get regular use. If you use pans with a thick heat spreader base they heat fairly evenly despite being bigger than the elements.

I wanted a range with the linkable burners for a griddle, but that was almost double the price. I now have a propane griddle that I use on the countertop when I want a griddle.
A Frigidaire is one of the lowest cost units available - at Costco. It has 2 linked burners on the left side. And you get a 2 year warranty when you buy a range at Costco. So it's definitely in the running.

Other units we're considering are an LG, a GE and a Bosch. Cost isn't much of a concern but we don't want to pay extra for no reason. And we want a reliable unit that works well.

For the LG - People complain about needing a flashlight to see the characters in the front panel, but it has a big oven and is quite reliable.
For the Bosch - Expensive. It has a smallish oven, and its large burner is in the middle which seems kind of odd. But Bosch is said to make the most reliable induction ranges and they're likely to last a very long time.
For the GE - Kind of expensive for a mid range product. Said to work well and have a good service department.

A Frigidaire is one of the lowest cost units available - at Costco. It has 2 linked burners on the left side. And you get a 2 year warranty when you buy a range at Costco. So it's definitely in the running.

Other units we're considering are an LG, a GE and a Bosch. Cost isn't much of a concern but we don't want to pay extra for no reason. And we want a reliable unit that works well.

For the LG - People complain about needing a flashlight to see the characters in the front panel, but it has a big oven and is quite reliable.
For the Bosch - Expensive. It has a smallish oven, and its large burner is in the middle which seems kind of odd. But Bosch is said to make the most reliable induction ranges and they're likely to last a very long time.
For the GE - Kind of expensive for a mid range product. Said to work well and have a good service department.

Can confirm on the LG. Hard to see the front display.

We replaced our electric range and the wife wanted a GE fancy stove so we got it there are more computers and circuit boards in the stove in a Google server building. I bought the 5 year warranty just because.

get a basic induction unit,like GE or Whirlpool they work fine,i would avoid over featured ones ,often can have problems and parts/service expensive.

Back