GC is my new fill

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love your 240 :)

Its not often you see a 240 from -83 in that condition.
Keep up the good work

Quote:

My NAPA, very close to Philadelphia, and like any good auto parts house, has access to numerous catalogs, warehouses, and suppliers.

Is this the one on 38 or the one in Haddon Hts???

Thanks,

JMH

Quote:

I love your 240 :)

Its not often you see a 240 from -83 in that condition.
Keep up the good work

Thanks a million... it's a 1990 244 by the way

The NAPA by my house is where Route 70 & 38 meet before the ramp toward the Ben Franklin. Probably, 2 minutes from my house in Merchantville/Pennsauken.

They have great service. I was buying oil at Wally World, now I go there. Still ike that Rotella T 5w40 but if NAPA can get me GC (and they can) I like to give them some $$$.

Plus, they have the oil & air filters I prefer.

0123f1b0.jpg

boat.gif

Quote:

it the green.

all the bottles say made in germany. eruo formula. 0w30.

I got the first case at Autozone. Took a bottle to the NAPA around the cornerfrom my house & they scored it from a warehouse/supplier.

But believe what you will.

I'm leaning toward the doubters here. Green GC has not been manufactured since January 2005. Autozone is the only retail outlet that's ever been confirmed to have the stuff (in the US). The stocks of green (save for a few isolated pockets, or possible returns) disappeared from store shelves long ago, consistently replaced by the gold formula. The supply line is empty of green. Not saying it's impossible, but your situation is very improbable at best.

What are your batch numbers (found on the bottom of the bottle)? If it's anything like M05...., then unless you got some of the very last made (M050-something...) then you've got newer gold stock. The true green, if you can find it (most of it is hidden in places like -- ummmm -- my garage...), was made from very late 2002 (with M02XXX... numbers) to again, very early 2005 (with M05 numbers). All M03 and M04 stock that says "Made in Germany" on the back is the real thing. If not, it's something else.
cheers.gif

It sure is a nice 240 series.

But with AZ's interesting stocking systems, it's always possible to stumble on some green. Not very likely, but always possible.

There's an ancient bottle of AC on the shelf of one local AZ around here. It must be from at least 2002. This store is not in a nice 'hood, so I doubt they move very much 0w-30 there.

The first case I bought from Autozone (Camden, NJ) was definitely the green. The box had more dust on it than a little bit & there is more green in that same location... if you live in my area & are man enough to drive down to the hood, it's all yours.

By Monday, it'll all be mine.

In this area, not to many are willing to pay $35 for oil -hence the stash sitting on a top shelf in the corner of the store's oil section.

The bottles ALL said "euro formula", 0w30, M05xxx, & "made in Germany"... but like I said, believe what you will... no biggie over here.

The 3 cases bought from NAPA I've yet to open... the basic markings are the same. I dont have the numbers off the bottles cause the boxes are in my storage area (where I work on my car).

If the NAPA score is gold or green, I could care less. It's definitely GC & that's all that matters to me.

Now, the stuff in the Camden, NJ AZ... green all the way.

Poured green into my crankcase but let me pull some out and send it to you for verification & analysis.

If I said white boxers are under my jeans, would you doubt that too.

Anyway, dont hate... appreciate.

No more Mann Filters.

I am not buying any filters on-line, never no more. I run 2 huge NAPA Gold (Wixx) 1515's on a dual remote filter mount. As good as Mann any day.

THANKS to all who dig my car. Much love!

Don't take the responses as a challenge to your truthfulness or character. That's not it at all. Those of us who've been here for a long time have seen many errors in the on-going game of GC spotting and snatching. Myself, I live in Pensacola, but work in New Orleans, 200 miles to the west. I've hit pretty much every AZ in both places, and a great many of those in between. I also haunt other auto parts places and similar places. And I still have well over 100 quarts of M03 and M04 green to show for the effort.
smirk.gif

The reason you're drawing some attention here is that you are, to my knowledge anyway, the first person to report here to report stock-in-hand from an outlet other than AZ (not counting our Canadian friends to the north). If in fact GC is available from another outlet, that's major news, and calls for confirmation. The batches are important because that gives a clue as to whether what you've seen is likely to be mainstream stuff, or perhaps (if older stock) just an aberration or some overstock that some grabbed somewhere and it ended up for sale.

You indicate that the stock you have is “M05xxx”. The next digit or two is critical, as that will determine for sure what you’ve really got. Remember, green formula GC ended at the very beginning of 05, so any given M05 is very likely to be “gold”.

Now come on and play along. Go out and pop open one of the NAPA sourced boxes and have a closer look at what you’ve got. If in fact it really is German-made 0w-30, then that would be pretty substantial news. I've opened numerous cases for the cause! They tape shut just fine!
wink.gif

Again, we’re not challenging you personally, we’re trying to figure what Castrol and its distribution chain may be up to. Thanks for the info you’ve provided so far.
cheers.gif

Just to amplify my last w/r/t to the serial number. The xxx part you omitted will be a Julian date. 001 would represent January 1st (2005 in this case) and 365 would be December 31st. So if you see "M05015...", that's a batch made on Jan 15th, 2005. IIRC, there was only one M05XXX batch of green identified, so hey, maybe you have something we haven't seen yet.

You will hear endless stories of GM engines using oil where they did not before if you use a 0wXX oil in them. They need a 5wXX oil. There some exceptions but few.

I guess I have the exceptions. Three GM engines on GC 0W30 -- two Gen II LT1s and an LS1 with no excessive oil use. 17x,xxx on the LT1s, and 102,xxx on the LS1. No oil use in 5K miles on the LT1s, and one quart in 3K miles on the LS1. All are former police cars and have not lead a sheltered life.
Just one of the endless stories of little or no oil use on GM engines with 0W30.

Quote:

You will hear endless stories of GM engines using oil where they did not before if you use a 0wXX oil in them. They need a 5wXX oil. There some exceptions but few.

A 0W oil is simply the viscosity, measured in centipoise, of an oil at -35C per the J-300 viscosity chart.

A 0W rating does not indicate viscosity of an oil at any warmer temperature on up to the SAE viscosity grade final temp of 100C(212)F.

I can guarantee you that both Mobil 1 0W-40 and Eneos 0W-50 are thicker than any 5W-30 at temps of 0F and above.

wink.gif

I will post an addendum to my statement to satisfy the nit-pickers in the forum:
grin.gif

An SAE 0W oil, by definition, must meet a minimum 3.8 cSt at 100C.

But in the context of 0W-xx, it is only indicating the cold temp property of the oil.

As far as GMs and GC goes, I have 2 on GC. A 95 Camaro (LT1) and a 93 Caprice (L05). The Camaro has 166k and doesn't burn a drop (dipstick shows full after a full drain interval, but it's always been this way, before GC). The Caprice has 246k (original engine) and I flog it pretty regularly. It's getting about 4k to the quart these days, which has actually improved after I did the ARX treatment. They both love GC and hated M1 0W-40. I am going to try Napa because the two AZs I use are fresh out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back