GC Gold in 2.2L Ecotec

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah - bar1 is right - it isn't exactly as loud or exactly like a diesel engine although it resembles it (at least from what my friend said).

When I first heard it I thought it was a knock. Other websites confirm this (something to do with the way the ecotec has the timing chain and compression). It is on an ecotec forum that I read awhile back.

Castrol 0w30 (made in germany) really helped quiet that on startup for me. I was using Amsoil 5w30 and Mobil 1 5w30 and Mobil had the most noise on startup. A thicker oil tends to keep this engine happy - especially on startup.

Thanks for the information OriginHacker21.
Maybe I'll try Castrol SLX Longtec 0W-30 or Mobil1 0W-40 at the next OC. They both have the right GM approvals for this engine.
Do you have a link to the a (good) ecotec forum?

Yeah - check out these links. I don't know if they are to be trusted (new to this whole forum internet).

BTW: I am not a member of EcotecPower. I just own a Pontiac Sunfire 2004 2.2L Ecotec
smile.gif

http://www.ecotecpower.com/forums/read.php?f=6&i=211&t=211

This next link has some of the above stuff but no one is really sure:

http://www.ecotecpower.com/forums/read.php?f=6&i=169&t=169

quote:

Castrol 0w30 (made in germany) really helped quiet that on startup for me. I was using Amsoil 5w30 and Mobil 1 5w30 and Mobil had the most noise on startup. A thicker oil tends to keep this engine happy - especially on startup.

I must say your last sentence is exactly the opposite of what I would expect.

I've gone to ecotec forums and one thing is about the 2.2L Ecotec is it has a "piston slap/knock" type thing on startup (hence the diesel noise, etc...). Almost everyone says Mobil 5w30 (thin) really makse the engine noisy - I confirm this. On the other side have said that higher octane/thicker oil has helped this a lot. It seems to have in my case as well.

But you are right - I hear of the new small Ford engines and Honda engines that are taking 5w20.
tongue.gif

Yep - Loving GC (17 quarts as of now and hope to live up to some of the GC gods of 100+ when I'm out of college). Temperature seems to stay down better and noise is a noticably less (when I changed).

On second OCI with M04 GC Green, in wifes 2.2 EcoTec. Sent in oil sample, with 7500 miles to Blackstone on Saturday. OLM read 5% at oil change. Will post results when they arrive.

I requested a Blackstone kit about 2 weeks ago. Can't wait to send in my own sample.

Pick - let me know how it goes. If you got some time: what does OLM 5% mean? Only 5% of the oil life was used?

Can't wait for those results. I'll be checking here every day!!
tongue.gif
Thanks!

OriginHacker21: If the OLM read 5% that indicated that there was 5% of the oil "life" left. Keep in mind, the OLM was calibrated for use with conventional oil so you should easily be able to go down to 0% life remaining, or beyond with GC.

Would it be safe to say that GC Gold has a lot more life than a normal oil? Maybe twice as much?

I know BMW Dealerships run their BMW Castrol 5w30 for 15,000 miles or more...

I don't think they could get by with even 10,000 on conventional oil - Maybe 8,000 but that would be a lot in my opinion.

I know my Grandpa has his old Mustang and he says everyone used to do 5,000 miles on normal oil back then.

Guess we'll just have to wait for Pick's blackstone report
smile.gif

It is thinner at startup not thicker...unless your block 210F before you turn the key.

If thats the case, I think you got a couple of health issues too
grin.gif

I believe he was comparing 0w30. At startup 0w30 is thinner than a 5w30 or 10w30.

If I got my weights right - the first number is what weight the oil is at startup and the second weight (after the w) is what weight the oil is when the engine is at operating temperature.

I agree with him though - The oil is thinner at startup than Mobil 1. So maybe having a thicker oil at startup is what makes our Ecotecs louder... All I know is that Mobil 1 ran pretty harshly in my car - especially at startup.
tongue.gif

Maybe the Elves have smiled upon me for using GC because it is the right and only stuff for my engine???
smile.gif

It is? ok then that would make sense because a thicker oil tends to quiet down GM's piston slap engines (from what I've been reading on the net).

Where can I find the actual weight difference between M1 and GC? Will a UOA only tell that stuff?

I just sent my UOA yesterday via UPS (USPS was closed) and ended up paying through the teeth... UPS said Blackstone should get it Friday.

One thing - One of the UPS guys got a little suspicious saying "we can't transport stuff like that..." but the other UPS guy said it was ok. LOL That sure was an experience...
grin.gif

Thanks for keeping us posted!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back