GC Gold 0w30, Honda S2000 2.0L, 5200mi

Status
Not open for further replies.

HRD

Here is the most recent analysis from my S2000.
The car was in Las Vegas during this OCI, with very mild winter conditions. Driven mostly short, 10-20mi, trips.
This OCI the engine used 2qts of makeup oil. It's the first time this engine has used any significant amount of oil. One qt. of the makeup oil used was 10w30 Idemitsu I had laying about from a VOA I had done on it.

Car: Honda S2000
Engine: 2.0L
Air Filter: OEM w/ cold air 'snorkle'
Oil Filter: Mobil 1 EP
Oil Capacity: 5.2qts
Make up oil: 2qts (one quart of Idemitsu 10w30)
Miles on oil: 5200mi
Lab: Blackstone

First row # = GC-G 0w30
Second row # = Mobil 1 Drive Clean 5w20 (2500mi OCI)

ALIMINUM...4....3
CHROMIUM...1....0
IRON.......11....4
COPPER.....5....4
LEAD.......1....0
TIN........0....0
MOLY.......97....103
NICKEL.....1....1
MANGANESE..0....0
SILVER.....0....0
TITANIUM...0....0
POTASSIUM..1....0
BORON......13....33
SILICON....6....6
SODIUM.....20....200
CALCIUM....1863....1527
MAGNESIUM..413....27
PHOSPHORUS.794....665
ZINC.......1075....729
BARIUM.....0....0

TBN 3.3

SUS VIS @ 210F: 62.5
FP: 375F
Fuel%: 0.5
AF%: 0
Water%: 0
Insolubles: 0.3

Regards,

Go back to DC
wink.gif
Considering that you have a 2 quart makeup heere, the DC did just as well as the GC

FYI, according to the owners manual, 10w30 is the main recommended spec, and 5w40 if temps drop below 0F.

Regards,

Too often here at BITOG, one oil or another, sometimes just a viscosity grade, develops a "cheering section," much like a football or hockey team. The followers cheer and are loyal to that oil or grade, almost the exclusion of any other consideration.

Personally, I think oil is more like chemotherapy for you engine than a football team. It's powerful, life-saving medicine, that if carefully matched to the engine and the circumstances can ensure your car a long, healthy life. Prescribe the wrong one, though, and the cure can end up being worse than the disease.

I love how GC works -- in my engine and under my driving and environmental conditions. I even get good UOA from an engine that quickly shows weaker UOAs on oils it doesn't like. In this UOA, however, we have some indications (not yet "conclusive proof" by any stretch) that perhaps GC isn't the right "medicine." Might try swapping through a couple different oils to find what suits this particular app the best.
cheers.gif

Would the two quarts of make up oil significantly throw of the remaining additives in the GC? Seems like it would be hard to make an accurate comparison between the two.

What's with all the Moly? Is that leftover from the Mobil1 EP or did it come from that Idemitsu? What year and how many miles on your S2000?

That seems like a big jump from consuming no significant oil to consuming 2 qts.

OMCW:

Good catch. I think pretty much all bets are off as to comparative value, especially with the addition of an oddball oil as topoff. The engine certainly seems healthy, but he's going to have to do some better data collecting if he is to have any hope of making meaningful oil comparisons. And yes, it would be nice to know where the two quarts went. Assuming that it's a young, healthy engine, and that GC is not known for inducing consumption problems, I'm wondering if whoever did the oil change might not have thoroughly tightened up the plug or the filter.

I would like to know where the 2 qts of oil went also. They definitely didn't leak from the engine. The engine is healty as far as I can tell. It has 30K miles on it btw. It was the first run of a full synthetic oil also.
I am not really comparing the oils in any way. The first, 5w20 was put in Las Vegas Honda dealership (first time I had ever been there) while I wasn't paying attention at the time. Just decided to go with it to see what would happen. After many 120F+ days I just thought 2500 miles was enough for that experiment. The GC was put in by me, as once again I was still in Las Vegas away from 'home' and just wanted something good that was OTC. I will never use either again, and just got an analysis and posted it for fun.
The GC was replaced by a 'boutique' sythentic 5w30 that I have been using in another 'high' HP honda engine with seemingly good success. I will see what happens. Hopefully the consumption will subside.

regards,

quote:

would like to know where the 2 qts of oil went also

I own one of these vehicles also and I believe that they tend to suck oil through the PCV system during spirited driving, especially high RPM coasting with the throttle closed. Some owners install a catch can in the PCV system. I am trying Redline 5w-20 in mine now, will post a UOA when oci is complete.
This is one fun car
smile.gif
smile.gif

Wow. That's a lot of oil consumption, haven't heard of that much before in a healthy Honda engine. None of the Hondas in the our family consumed anything like that in "old age", maybe a half-quart between changes. Perhaps gtoracer is right about oil being drawn oil through the PCV valve. Would be quite concerned otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back